CBS All Access / VPN experiment failed

Ra-cha-cha

4 hours ago, Ra-cha-cha said:

Folks:

I've tried to get CBS All Access with a VPN to get me the local CBS station in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, however, the entire experiment was a bust.

I tried (luckily all with cancelable trial periods) 4 VPS (Nord, Ghost, PrivateVPN and SlickVPN).  I tried accessing my 'local' CBS station on CBS All Access using both the normal & hidden versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox/Brave & Internet Explorer.

Not one of those combinations allowed me to see a WNY local CBS station.

Looks like I'm off to a bar here in Bradenton, FL this Sunday .....................

If you were here in NY you would hve to order wings and a subsidence food with your beer.....I kinda had to.

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Gamepass only shows the game after the live broadcast, is that correct?

Well, I'll tell you for sure Sunday night, because I haven't done it before, but I think you're incorrect.   There are two levels of Gamepass - one that lets you watch only replays of games, and the more expensive plan that lets you watch games live in real time.   The expensive plan isn't available in the U.S., as I understand it, because DirectTv has an exclusive deal - they are the only ones who can show all the games live on Sunday in the US.  But that exclusivity doesn't apply in Europe, for example.  If you're in Europe, you can pay the NFL about $200 and you get all the games in real time.  That's why you need a VPN that offers you a server located outside the country - the NFL recognizes the server as not being subject to DirectTv's exclusivity.  

I go to all the home games, and about four or five others are on my local TV.  So I had four games a year where I had to go to sports bar.   But this year, no home games for me, so I've got 12 or 13 games that aren't on locally, and I'm not going to sports bars.  I'm only 100 miles from NYC, but I don't even get the Jets game this weekend, because I live in Connecticut and the Patriots will be on.  I actually was planning on driving someplace in New York State - it's two hours to Albany - every weekend and taking a motel room to watch the games.   This VPN route is a LOT cheaper and a LOT more convenient.  

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I'll tell you for sure Sunday night, because I haven't done it before, but I think you're incorrect.   There are two levels of Gamepass - one that lets you watch only replays of games, and the more expensive plan that lets you watch games live in real time.   The expensive plan isn't available in the U.S., as I understand it, because DirectTv has an exclusive deal - they are the only ones who can show all the games live on Sunday in the US.  But that exclusivity doesn't apply in Europe, for example.  If you're in Europe, you can pay the NFL about $200 and you get all the games in real time.  That's why you need a VPN that offers you a server located outside the country - the NFL recognizes the server as not being subject to DirectTv's exclusivity.  

I go to all the home games, and about four or five others are on my local TV.  So I had four games a year where I had to go to sports bar.   But this year, no home games for me, so I've got 12 or 13 games that aren't on locally, and I'm not going to sports bars.  I'm only 100 miles from NYC, but I don't even get the Jets game this weekend, because I live in Connecticut and the Patriots will be on.  I actually was planning on driving someplace in New York State - it's two hours to Albany - every weekend and taking a motel room to watch the games.   This VPN route is a LOT cheaper and a LOT more convenient.  

thanks for the info!  Being in central PA I'm gonna need to figure something out. I've managed the past 5 years, but barely. and likely not securely.  I'm gonna look into this. Thanks for more than just a bland answer Shaw! Appreciate it Sir

For those talking about CBS All Access, remember that the Rams and Seahawks games will be on FOX.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

This is what I do every year. It has never failed me in five seasons now (knock on wood). 

I just use an HDMI cable to hook my computer to my TV, and boom, high definition NFL football in my living room.

The neat thing about NFL Gamepass is that it also gives you access to 30-minute "express" versions of every game the day after they air. It cuts out all the down time and commercials between plays. It makes it possible to watch other games or to re-watch Bills games without taking up much time. You ALSO get access to the ALL-22 (coach's footage) of every Bills game by mid-week, which can be neat to watch for key plays. Last but not least, you get all of the NFL Network material on demand (all the "A Football Life" programs that ever been made, etc), Red Zone channel, NFL Network live, and an archive of games going back years (including every Super Bowl ever), just in case you want to watch, say, the 2017 Bills opening week game, just to see how far the team has come.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for Gamepass, but it's a buy I never, ever regret.

Why do you need the cable setup? If you purchased Game Pass, don't you have access through the NFL app on a connected device (Roku, Fire Stick, Xbox, etc etc)?

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

27 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

For those talking about CBS All Access, remember that the Rams and Seahawks games will be on FOX.

Why do you need the cable setup? If you purchased Game Pass, don't you have access through the NFL app on a connected device (Roku, Fire Stick, Xbox, etc etc)?

Won't work without the VPN. I'm not sure how to use a connected device (Roku, etc) with VPN enabled. Maybe there's a way, but I'm not aware of one.

57 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The problem is that any of those devices will be blocked if you access through a US server.  That's why you need a VPN. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

When I was looking at different VPN I couldn't find any that held IPs in WNY only NYC.

Check out NordVPN which has a Buffalo server.  They were running a special. 2 years subscription for about $80. 

Edited by Mopreme
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Y'all are doing it wrong with CBS if you're trying to use a VPN... Save the money, and do it yourself. 

Hopefully I don't get banned, but I doubt this is illegal since I can go out of town on business and CBS All Access will pick up that local channel where i am. You're just going to fool it to think you're somewhere else.

You might want to dedicate a browser JUST for this, if you use Chrome, CC Cleaner browser is almost exactly the same. See the 3 dots at the top right? Click on them, got to Developer tools.

Once there is the hardest part, you have to find the Sensors. Your probably going to have to click those 3 dots a little lower than the others this time.

Now that you're in Sensors, see the Location? It probably shows "No Over Ride" but go ahead and click Manage. Here you'll see a few pre-loaded locations, and see that it is by geolocation? That's latitude and longitude. I hope most of you can find lat and long for somewhere in Buffalo area. Once you do, click Add Location. Don't worry about the time zone and stuff, not needed but name your new location. YOU WILL NEED TO LOAD IT EVERY TIME YOU GO TO CBS! I just leave it open on the right until I'm watching WIVB then I close it. If you make a mistake and forget, close out of CBS right away, and try it again... This is one of the reasons a totally separate browser is a good idea so the cache from it doesn't interfere and if it messes up, you can always uninstall and re-install with no loss of other important stuff.

Now you just learned a large part of what a VPN does for you and it cost you nothing.... 😉 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It's only going to work in a location that is showing the Bills game on the local affiliate, like Buffalo.  If for example you were in Boston, where the NE game is on CBS at 1:00 it won't work.

ive had good success with surf shark so I can try it if anyone has the link

i see the link... thx

34 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Call them up and tell them about it. See how it goes for you. Then call the NFL, if they still have cell service at the top of their giant pile of money I'm sure they will take your call.

Oh, I hit a nerve with a DirectTV sales rep, I see.

8 hours ago, Ra-cha-cha said:

Folks:

I've tried to get CBS All Access with a VPN to get me the local CBS station in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, however, the entire experiment was a bust.

I tried (luckily all with cancelable trial periods) 4 VPS (Nord, Ghost, PrivateVPN and SlickVPN).  I tried accessing my 'local' CBS station on CBS All Access using both the normal & hidden versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox/Brave & Internet Explorer.

Not one of those combinations allowed me to see a WNY local CBS station.

Looks like I'm off to a bar here in Bradenton, FL this Sunday .....................

WORST case the bills mafia fb page streams the games. used it on a biz trip last year for houston game.... surprisingly quality picture. you could proli cast your screen to a tv or watcg on laptop. i was stuck watching on my phone

32 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Y'all are doing it wrong with CBS if you're trying to use a VPN... Save the money, and do it yourself. 

Hopefully I don't get banned, but I doubt this is illegal since I can go out of town on business and CBS All Access will pick up that local channel where i am. You're just going to fool it to think you're somewhere else.

You might want to dedicate a browser JUST for this, if you use Chrome, CC Cleaner browser is almost exactly the same. See the 3 dots at the top right? Click on them, got to Developer tools.

Once there is the hardest part, you have to find the Sensors. Your probably going to have to click those 3 dots a little lower than the others this time.

Now that you're in Sensors, see the Location? It probably shows "No Over Ride" but go ahead and click Manage. Here you'll see a few pre-loaded locations, and see that it is by geolocation? That's latitude and longitude. I hope most of you can find lat and long for somewhere in Buffalo area. Once you do, click Add Location. Don't worry about the time zone and stuff, not needed but name your new location. YOU WILL NEED TO LOAD IT EVERY TIME YOU GO TO CBS! I just leave it open on the right until I'm watching WIVB then I close it. If you make a mistake and forget, close out of CBS right away, and try it again... This is one of the reasons a totally separate browser is a good idea so the cache from it doesn't interfere and if it messes up, you can always uninstall and re-install with no loss of other important stuff.

Now you just learned a large part of what a VPN does for you and it cost you nothing.... 😉 

Thanks Cigna!  That is along the lines of what my computer savvy buddy says needs to be done.

I got an old laptop that I want to set up (and thus keep) to these settings.

That way I don't need to keep toggling back and forth.

Edited by ColoradoBills

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks Cigna!  That is along the lines of what my computer savvy buddy says needs to be done.

I got an old laptop that I want to set up (and thus keep) to these settings.

That way I don't need to keep toggling back and forth.

Your welcome... Just remember, even with the spare laptop, you will need to re-select your new location every time you open CBS All Access. It will help though not to build an unwanted cache similar to using another browser.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Can you do this for Sabres Games? MSG Network

10 minutes ago, Lazy said:

Can you do this for Sabres Games? MSG Network

Looks like MSG is based off your zip and provider. Problem with that is like my Sling account, it works off my billing address so changing Geo doesn't do anything regardless of the provider. I'm thinking of getting a PO Box though in town and opening a local bank account to try that... 

If anyone else beats me to it, let me know.