CBS All Access / VPN experiment failed

Ra-cha-cha

Folks:

I've tried to get CBS All Access with a VPN to get me the local CBS station in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, however, the entire experiment was a bust.

I tried (luckily all with cancelable trial periods) 4 VPS (Nord, Ghost, PrivateVPN and SlickVPN).  I tried accessing my 'local' CBS station on CBS All Access using both the normal & hidden versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox/Brave & Internet Explorer.

Not one of those combinations allowed me to see a WNY local CBS station.

Looks like I'm off to a bar here in Bradenton, FL this Sunday .....................

3 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I think the CBS app is only 5.99 a month. Probably still cheaper than spending the afternoon in a bar

Also, I got an email from the Bills this morning saying you can watch the games for free using the Bills app

All only relevant if you live in the Bills' TV market.  Out-of-market folks can't do either of those things...hence trying to use VPNs to circumvent location.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Are the VPNs you used of the free variety?

I pay for ExpressVPN, which is as legit as it gets. I never have luck with free VPNs.

If you DO end up heading off to the bar, well....God speed!

I'm so glad someone posted about ExpressVPN.  I signed up yesterday, picked a German server and bought NFLGAMEPASS for about $200.  Now I will get all the games.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm so glad someone posted about ExpressVPN.  I signed up yesterday, picked a German server and bought NFLGAMEPASS for about $200.  Now I will get all the games.

This is what I do every year. It has never failed me in five seasons now (knock on wood). 

I just use an HDMI cable to hook my computer to my TV, and boom, high definition NFL football in my living room.

The neat thing about NFL Gamepass is that it also gives you access to 30-minute "express" versions of every game the day after they air. It cuts out all the down time and commercials between plays. It makes it possible to watch other games or to re-watch Bills games without taking up much time. You ALSO get access to the ALL-22 (coach's footage) of every Bills game by mid-week, which can be neat to watch for key plays. Last but not least, you get all of the NFL Network material on demand (all the "A Football Life" programs that ever been made, etc), Red Zone channel, NFL Network live, and an archive of games going back years (including every Super Bowl ever), just in case you want to watch, say, the 2017 Bills opening week game, just to see how far the team has come.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for Gamepass, but it's a buy I never, ever regret.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

If you know someone that is a student, you can get a subscription through them for $99 a year.  To me, that amount of money is worth avoiding the hassle of VPNs and location-based services.

• Like (+1) 1

Not on GamePass, but on SundayTicket.TV, you most definitely can.  That is what I've been using for the last 3 seasons.

Any local games will be blacked out though, and you will need to watch them on your local TV network.

And as far as finding a university student... I bet you know someone with kids in college, or a relative that's in college.  Maybe a coworker that's getting an MBA or MPA?  All of these would qualify.  You just need a name and a school.

Edited by sullim4

Just now, sullim4 said:

If you know someone that is a student, you can get a subscription through them for $99 a year.  To me, that amount of money is worth avoiding the hassle of VPNs and location-based services.

*I'm not necessarily recommending this, but could work theoretically*

Even someone you don't necessarily know. You use your own email and credit card to gain access. The only student info needed in my experience is name, school and date of birth.

For legal reasons I must say I will never condone piracy/illegal streams.

But stuff like this that makes it very difficult or impossible for people to legally access content, makes me admit I UNDERSTAND why people would want to bypass the beaurocratic/capitalist nonsense.

41 minutes ago, Ra-cha-cha said:

Folks:

I've tried to get CBS All Access with a VPN to get me the local CBS station in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, however, the entire experiment was a bust.

I tried (luckily all with cancelable trial periods) 4 VPS (Nord, Ghost, PrivateVPN and SlickVPN).  I tried accessing my 'local' CBS station on CBS All Access using both the normal & hidden versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox/Brave & Internet Explorer.

Not one of those combinations allowed me to see a WNY local CBS station.

Looks like I'm off to a bar here in Bradenton, FL this Sunday .....................

Thanks for the info.  I have been thinking of going this route.  I do have a few questions if you would take the time to reply.

1.  SlickVPN is the only VPN I have seen that uses some Buffalo servers.  So I imagine you hooked into one of them and it still failed.

2.  Did you at first log into CBS AA using your local (non VPN) IP Address?  OR did you log into the Buffalo address first and then try it.

I'm asking this because a computer savvy friend said to try to toggle between the 2 could be a problem.

3.  Did you use the VPN on your MODEM/Server or did you just put it locally on a device (ie Laptop)?

Again my friend said to just having the VPN and CBS AA on a device (laptop) would probably be the way to go.

I understand if you don't want to reply.

I'm not totally sure what everyone is talking about, but there is a website called "Tunnelbear" where you pay a fee each month and then it lets you tap into the internet from any spot on the Earth, more or less.

So you can be sitting in Kansas but pretend you are in Paris so the computer will allow you to watch your favorite online French sitcom on TF1.  It being "blacked out" otherwise for American viewers.  

There is probably some way to harness this to watch NFL games with some sort of advantage.

I don't know, I go the Reddit Route for free; works like a charm.