Justin Timberlake 'thrilled to be involved' in investment group working toward bringing MLB franchise to Nashville

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29846914/justin-timberlake-thrilled-involved-investment-group-working-bringing-mlb-franchise-nashville

Assuming MLB will get greedy and not move the Florida teams and add 2 teams I would guess 5 cities would be involved. Montreal, Nashville, Charlotte, Portland and Las Vegas.  I personally would be for the Expos and who ever.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Only musician I would like less to be involved with a team purchase/movie is Jon "Bon Bon" Jovi.

I'd love to understand why you feel this way.  Justin Timberlake - like Jon Bon Jovi - has been nothing but classy throughout his entire, wildly successful, career in entertainment.

I have never, and will never, understand the Bon Jovi hatred.  He is an amazing human being who genuinely cares about those in need.  Some (lots of) things are bigger than sports.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have never, and will never, understand the Bon Jovi hatred.  He is an amazing human being who genuinely cares about those in need.  Some (lots of) things are bigger than sports.

1. D&^K in a Box is one of the best skits on SNL ever, featuring JT and Andy Samberg. JT is featured regularly in my trivia nights for the music round.

2. I'll allow (to my great detriment on this forum) your Bon Jovi comment. It's true, he is a good person. I think the hatred is that there was a GREAT chance he was going to purchase OBD and move it out of town. That's the hatred. 

Go have a Psychopathy and relax, let the turds flame us!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bon Jovi's music sucked dick, that's why.  Other than that, the guy seems to be straight up hell of a good person

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'd love to understand why you feel this way.  Justin Timberlake - like Jon Bon Jovi - has been nothing but classy throughout his entire, wildly successful, career in entertainment.

• Haha (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29846914/justin-timberlake-thrilled-involved-investment-group-working-bringing-mlb-franchise-nashville

Assuming MLB will get greedy and not move the Florida teams and add 2 teams I would guess 5 cities would be involved. Montreal, Nashville, Charlotte, Portland and Las Vegas.  I personally would be for the Expos and who ever.

All of those contenders would struggle to properly finance a MLB team.

I think Montreal would have the best shot, but baseball in Montreal was a gigantic mistake and I hope they never go back there.

No need to.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

All of those contenders would struggle to properly finance a MLB team.

I think Montreal would have the best shot, but baseball in Montreal was a gigantic mistake and I hope they never go back there.

No need to.

Expos were thriving until the strike of 1994 in the middle of the season. Then the owners went cheap and sold off all the stars. They will do just fin there.

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Expos were thriving until the strike of 1994 in the middle of the season. Then the owners went cheap and sold off all the stars. They will do just fin there.

That was pretty much because of Loria and wanting to own the Red Sox. After the strike where the Expos were one of the favorites for the WS, baseball in general took a hit and Loria started dismantling the team so they could be sold off. I believe he really wanted the Red Sox but when that fell through he got the expansion Marlins and left the Expos with MLB who did just enough to keep them afloat until they could relocate them to Washington.

Since then there has been strong demand to get a team back and they have met most of MLBs demands to get one back except the new stadium. There were deals in place to start that once they get the ok from MLB that a teams coming back. MLB has also pretty much had an agreement with Montreal that they would be first in line for a chance at the next expansion franchise or relocation. For the last 4-5 years, the Jays have been helping them out and playing their last 2 preseason games there to showcase the support and they have shown well

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I absolutely LOVE Nashville, and I don’t know how they keep up the infrastructure to support all this growth. I hope it’s not ruined, but I can’t fret too much about things over which I have no control. Kinda like the Bills over the years.......

The MLB should be thinking about contracting the league, not expanding it. 

Unless you're creating teams with owners willing to spend their own money outbidding the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox for free agents annually, all the league is doing is creating at best more mediocrity, at worst more Bob Nuttings in Pittsburgh.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Unless you're creating teams with owners willing to spend their own money outbidding the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox for free agents annually, all the league is doing is creating at best more mediocrity, at worst more Bob Nuttings in Pittsburgh.  

I love baseball, but I also don’t see the market for more teams. I know expansion builds revenue, and that’s what it’s about, but there isn’t a market I can see going crazy over having a team. Talk about NBA expansion and I’d be singing a different tune. MLB already has teams in the biggest markets that have the tried and true baseball fans. I can’t see it being anything more than a novelty in the cities that are being mentioned. 

Edited by SirAndrew

On 9/10/2020 at 10:19 AM, The Poojer said:

Bon Jovi's music sucked dick, that's why.  Other than that, the guy seems to be straight up hell of a good person

You ever notice on Dime that whenever someone uploads one of his shows that nobody but NOBODY downloads it? Even someone like Journey gets more activity, yet he used to fill stadiums, go figure.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

I don't know about contracting (I'm not really in favour of expansion either) but I think they do need some relocation of franchises or some new ownership groups taking over teams. I think Montreal could make a good location for a team again, even Vancouver could make a team work (just watch a Jays/Mariners game and see how many fans from BC fill the stadium for the Jays). Teams like the Marlins and Rays should be on notice that if they can't improve attendance, they could be relocated. As for a team like Pittsburgh, there issue just seems to be cheap management holding them back....

On 9/9/2020 at 6:16 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hey, Sahlens Field is major league ready now! 

On 9/10/2020 at 6:45 AM, Gugny said:

What's so hard to understand? He was ready to swoop in and steal the Bills. He could be Mother Theresa in every other aspect of his life. He's still an SOB for targeting our team.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

@apuszczalowski  Saw my first game there in 1972 at 12 years old at Jerry Park.  I regret never going back as adult to see them at the big O

I went and saw them their last series at Olympic Stadium. About 200 people there. So sad.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hey, Sahlens Field is major league ready now! 

What's so hard to understand? He was ready to swoop in and steal the Bills. He could be Mother Theresa in every other aspect of his life. He's still an SOB for targeting our team.

Pegula did the swooping, if anyone did.  I get that it's all about keeping the team in western NY/out of Toronto.  That's the business plan he and the other investors had.  Would I have liked it?  Absolutely not.  But I can't hold it against the guy for chasing his dream - especially being the kind of guy he is.  

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pegula did the swooping, if anyone did.  I get that it's all about keeping the team in western NY/out of Toronto.  That's the business plan he and the other investors had.  Would I have liked it?  Absolutely not.  But I can't hold it against the guy for chasing his dream - especially being the kind of guy he is.  

That's fine. I can't. But I do like JT.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's fine. I can't. But I do like JT.

Hard to not like the guy.  And just so I'm clear, I never wanted JBJ to buy the team for obvious reasons.  It was more about understanding/respecting his pursuit.

• Like (+1) 1