Only 2 Bills on current roster from 2016 or earlier...

LabattBlue

Would be interesting to see roster turnover over a 3 year period for every 3 year period for the last 20 years.

Team turnover is likely greater than you think, though I admit only 2 remaining is not much.

It's like our Super Bowl teams.  I always think of them being pretty much the same bunch of guys over those 4 years.

Not true at all.  There were a ton of changes all over the lineup.

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

According to todays BN Bills Preview section, only two Bills remain from 2016 or earlier...

2013 Jerry Hughes

2016 Reid Ferguson

Hard to believe the rest of the roster has been kicked to the curb, and made into a competitive team in 3 years

They say the NFL rules allow this to happen more than in any other sport.  quick turnarounds often happen.

With the average career only lasting a few years I’m not surprised. 

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

According to todays BN Bills Preview section, only two Bills remain from 2016 or earlier...

2013 Jerry Hughes

2016 Reid Ferguson

Hard to believe the rest of the roster has been kicked to the curb, and made into a competitive team in 3 years

the true definition of a rebuild 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

2013 Jerry Hughes

2016 Reid Ferguson

It was amazing they made the playoffs that first year after the moves they made prior to the season had everyone convinced they were tanking.  Year 2 they had to pay the piper with $70M in dead cap, plus the loss of their 2 best OL.

I wonder what the average for players on roster from 2016 is in the NFL? With how steep roster turnover and injuries are. I would expect the average to be maybe 8 or 9? 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Would be interesting to see roster turnover over a 3 year period for every 3 year period for the last 20 years.

Team turnover is likely greater than you think, though I admit only 2 remaining is not much.

It's like our Super Bowl teams.  I always think of them being pretty much the same bunch of guys over those 4 years.

I would suspect a team like the Steelers that has had the same coach long before 2016 would probably only have about 10ish players from 2016 and that would probably be near the top of the league. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

2013 Jerry Hughes

2016 Reid Ferguson

I was watching panthers bills game on replay last month and saw more current bills on panthers team than bills team.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

2013 Jerry Hughes

2016 Reid Ferguson

I’d bet very few teams have more than 5-10 players from 2016 honestly. 

nfl rosters turn over a ton in 4 years 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2016_roster.htm

Quite a few of the starters are still around.

Tyrod

LeSean

O'Leary

Goodwin

Robert woods

Watkins

Glenn

Cog

Miller

Dareus

Hughes

Preston Brown

Darby

Gilmore

Lawson

Robey Coleman

Thanks for this list.   That shows how much difference coaching makes.  That's a lot of talent.   As others have said around here, McDermott inherited a pretty good team - dysfunctional, but good players.  

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/article-in-the-younger-cheaper-nfl-even-super-bowl-champs-face-inevitable/

An Associated Press analysis of Super Bowl champions over the past seven years revealed that title teams shed an average of 20.4 players off their 53-man rosters from the Super Bowl to Week 1 of the next season. That’s 38.5 percent.”

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Well each team drafts 6-7 guys per year and usually keeps most on the roster but not all, add an UDFA or two, and 5-8 free agency changes I think it would add up pretty quick.  That's 12-16 per year x 3 years or 36-48 players per team.  Just a rough guess

A few of them were from retirees, though. Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, and Lorenzo Alexander.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well each team drafts 6-7 guys per year and usually keeps most on the roster but not all, add an UDFA or two, and 5-8 free agency changes I think it would add up pretty quick.  That's 12-16 per year x 3 years or 36-48 players per team.  Just a rough guess

But they usually have a handful of franchise regulars who stick with the team a long time on both sides of the ball.