First Coach Fired This Season and When

Big Gun

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

Agreed.  Was stunned the regime stuck around.  He fired Mike Smith for a lot less (he had a 66-46 record!), and the Falcons window is very small.  Matt Ryan is 35.  

Smith was also the superior drafting "influence" to Dimitroff.  Most of the big Q/D picks are already off the Falcons.

Maybe that is it, exactly. Ride it out with Dimitroff, Quinn, and Ryan for another 2 years, then flush the whole thing and start over. No use bringing in another GM and HC when your franchise QB only has a couple years left. I dunno, just guessing.

Marrone will oversee the taking thru week 14 and the last 1-2 games some assistant likely a minority will be the interim.

Seems coaches get fired over the bye week - so the next scalp is NYJ Gase fired after 11/15 game against Miami right after game #10 and the start of bye week.

Cincy hangs on to coaches for long streches, BoB in Houston is the GM and coach so that likely would be a right-after-the season decapitation, and it could be a long season in Philly as well...

1 hour ago, Big Gun said:

I got Marrone after a loss to Houston puts them at 1-4.  

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Adam Gase, Week 6.

Why take chances on not securing the #1 overall pick.  It could be a fight to the end between these two.

If you fire a coach after around week 14 or 15, it's easy to name an interim coach for 2 to 3 weeks, like the Bills did with Lynn.  You name someone after week 5 or 6 , if the problem really was coaching, the new guy could win a bunch of games, and then it becomes hard to justify firing him.  (wasn't that what happened in Cleveland with Freddy Kitchens?) Where as in most of these situations you're probably better off hiring a brand new coach and maybe GM too in the off season along with a new staff where you have more choices. Lets say they wanted Frazer, they're not getting him mid season.  You only options are promote from the staff or someone who already was unemployed.  Granted it did work out with Marv, but those are more the exceptions.

All things considered, think there's less mid season firings these days in the NFL compared to 20 to 30 years ago.  Actually RW may have led the league in this category!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Gase Week 2 😂

I don’t think Gase is getting fired, they’re still paying Bowles off and he’s not on the team anymore I don’t think they can afford to pay for 2 ex coaches while trying to hire and pay a third. Plus no top tier coach is gonna want anything to do with the jets anyways. Gase is Kotite 2.0 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t think Gase is getting fired, they’re still paying Bowles off and he’s not on the team anymore I don’t think they can afford to pay for 2 ex coaches while trying to hire and pay a third. Plus no top tier coach is gonna want anything to do with the jets anyways. Gase is Kotite 2.0 

Why not? It would be such a Jets thing to do 😆

• Like (+1) 1

Some common ones will be Marrone, Patricia, Gase, and Dan Quinn are all on the hot seat but I think that the types of coaches that will lose their jobs in season will be due to a player revolt. I think Quinn is the least vulnerable to that out of those four. That leaves Gase, Patricia, and Marrone as the most vulnerable to an in season firing. I think that Marrone is most likely to get fired in season. Gase has at least some of the locker room and I think Patricia has enough talent to float just close enough to .500. to avoid a firing early. Whereas the Jags could be 1-4 or 1-5 and pull the plug. Whereas I could see the Lions at 2-3 and hanging in there.

I think other coaches like Zac Taylor, Matt Nagy, Kliff Kingsbury, Anthony Lynn, and Vic Fangio are also on the hot seat but generally speaking they will finish out the season as typically the coaches that get fired in season are the ones where the players quit on them and I don't see that happening with any of them.