Will Epenesa be inactive on Sunday? Interesting scenario

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

with out Lee and DiMarco, I guess they’ll have to rely on Brown and Diggs Downfield 🤷‍♂️ 

you can mitigate that disappointment if you consider #14 the first pick

I'm going to go with our roster is so good a 2nd rounder could not get on the field vs he sucks.  For the time being, lol

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

What depth chart?  The unofficial depth chart published by the Bills media team?  Please don’t read anything into that.  As someone else previously posted the Ravens unofficial depth chart has JK Dobbins listed as their 4th RB, and we know that’s not true.  Jeez.  Relax. 

Is Dobbins  a healthy scratch today?

Look, Epinesa might turn out to be a good productive DE.  I’m just saying that the fact he was made a healthy scratch given his high draft selection, the position he plays, and the player who beat him out, his career is off to a very disappointing start.  

Find me another 2nd rounder who is a healthy scratch in week one?

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'm going to go with our roster is so good a 2nd rounder could not get on the field vs he sucks.  For the time being, lol

Ha!  Well this is partially true.  There are some good veteran players who’d be ahead of most rookie DE’s like Jerry, Mario, and Jefferson.  But a stronger training camp by Epinesa probably pushes Murphy off the roster and saves the Bills $7 in cap space next season

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Is Dobbins  a healthy scratch today?

Look, Epinesa might turn out to be a good productive DE.  I’m just saying that the fact he was made a healthy scratch given his high draft selection, the position he plays, and the player who beat him out, his career is off to a very disappointing start.  

Find me another 2nd rounder who is a healthy scratch in week one?

This is a hot take

Disappointing, but not totally unexpected. They can bring him along slowly, and we have very good DL depth. Plus, he is not a special teams guy, unlike DJ. That's the key difference here.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Really, you don't think OCs are game planning for the athletic freak clogging up passing lanes in the middle of the field? Alright.

IDK, he does a great job in pass pro but I've seen many an OC run right at him.   Until his gap control and tackling improve, he's not yet in the "game plan away from him" category, IMO...

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Also, a player that you drafted 54th overall should be good enough to dress on Sunday.

My point is, the fact that Epinesa is buried as the 4th DE on the depth chart behind a 2019 7th round pick probably isn’t a good sign.

To an extent what you say is correct, but again.... it is very rare for a second round DE to be so far down the depth chart that they are listed as a healthy scratch.  Don’t pretend that it’s common, because it isn’t.  I think it’s a bad sign but we’ll see

Dude it doesn't matter what round you're drafted in. Once you're in the league and you make the squad the number is irrelevant

Daryl Johnson has a lot of potential, and we have a log jam of defensive ends

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude it doesn't matter what round you're drafted in. Once you're in the league and you make the squad the number is irrelevant

Daryl Johnson has a lot of potential, and we have a log jam of defensive ends

No doubt and the depth at DE is a factor here.  But at the same time, you’d want your 2nd round draft pick to be good enough to play in Week 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s disappointing to see our top draft as healthy scratch no matter how you spin it

Yes it is.  As Bills fans we sometimes try to be immune to criticism or negativity, but the fact that your 2nd round pick wasn’t impress enough to dress in Week 1, is not good.

Again, I’m not saying he won’t turn out to be a productive DE.  It definitely can happen but clearly he has a very long way to go.  

Given his contract, Murphy seemed to be a goner before camp.  IMO they kept him because AJ was so unimpressive

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This 

Him not playing is not earth shattering.  A 2nd round draft pick not dressing, is very uncommon

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yes it is.  As Bills fans we sometimes try to be immune to criticism or negativity, but the fact that your 2nd round pick wasn’t impress enough to dress in Week 1, is not good.

Again, I’m not saying he won’t turn out to be a productive DE.  It definitely can happen but clearly he has a very long way to go.  

Given his contract, Murphy seemed to be a goner before camp.  IMO they kept him because AJ was so unimpressive

Him not playing is not earth shattering.  A 2nd round draft pick not dressing, is very uncommon

having the depth we have at DE is not common.  You’re making way too much of this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I understand Murphy had an excellent camp. I expect him to start opposite Hughes.

Unless there’s an injury or a QB being groomed as a replacement, and player drafted in the top few rounds that’s inactive Week 1 is a concern.  

I’ve read he didn’t show much in training camp and was seriously overmatched.  

I’m not making any assumptions, but concern and disappointment is warranted. 

While I agree it isn't ideal that he hasn't shown enough to make him a must dress let's be clear what has happened here. The Bills are in win now territory and they have 3 vets they like. Murphy might have been on the bubble before camp but played well and might even start. And then their 4th defensive end is a core special team player with rare athleticism at the position. He played more special teams snaps than any other Bill in 2019. If it came down purely to DE play AJ might have dressed. Once you add in teams Daryl Johnson was always dressing.

• Like (+1) 2