Jalen Ramsey extension with Rams - 5 years/105 mill

YoloinOhio

Holy cow. How long will the Rams GM hold his job? First Gurley now this. Ramsey is being paid about 15 mill above what he should be getting given this is an extension with 1 year still remaining. He is not a QB or a DE .

Glad Beane did the Tre deal early. 

Edit A key difference between Tre's deal and Ramsey's is that Tre is getting his deal a year earlier (Tre had 2 yrs remaining). But still the difference is mindboggling.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

MAGIC BEANES!

It's true he could have found a $20M+ deal. But it would have most likely been on another team, which he'd have to wait TWO YEARS for. Maybe even 3 if we Franchise him. One small injury blows that whole deal.

If he was only a year away from the open market, I could see him trying to get it. But 2-3 years is too long to wait. Bird in the hand and all that.

Agreed that he is a better player and a better dude.

More than Tre getting more, Ramsey shd be getting less. WIth a 175 mill salary cap next year -  to afford Goff and Darnold and Ramsey (about 75 mill on just these 3 in  2021 and 2022), now the Rams need to play cap roulette.

Edit: bold part added

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

More than Tre getting more, Ramsey shd be getting less. WIth a 175 mill salary cap next year -  to afford Goff and Darnold and Ramsey (about 75 mill on just these 3 in 2022), now the Rams need to play cap roulette.

That's the Rams' problem. And another example of why you dont trade two 1sts for a guy without a new contract in place. They couldnt let him walk. Both Ramsey and Tunsil bent their teams over the barrel, rightfully so.

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

MAGIC BEANES!

It's true he could have found a $20M+ deal. But it would have most likely been on another team, which he'd have to wait TWO YEARS for. Maybe even 3 if we Franchise him. One small injury blows that whole deal.

If he was only a year away from the open market, I could see him trying to get it. But 2-3 years is too long to wait. Bird in the hand and all that.

Agreed that he is a better player and a better dude.

True and he gets to hit the market again before 30 so he can get another big deal.  Seems like a win-win for both parties.

but as for ego, he has to believe a guy who isn’t as good just got paid more than him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's the Rams' problem. And another example of why you dont trade two 1sts for a guy without a new contract in place. They couldnt let him walk. Both Ramsey and Tunsil bent their teams over the barrel, rightfully so.

Yup. Sure showed 'em the 50 states.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

True and he gets to hit the market again before 30 so he can get another big deal.  Seems like a win-win for both parties.

but as for ego, he has to believe a guy who isn’t as good just got paid more than him. 

I honestly dont think he cares that much. Or at all.

• Like (+1) 2

Tre White and his agent knew exactly what was coming down the pike contract wise.

He took an early deal for less money and was happy to do it.

He and Dawkins have set a precedent for contracts going forward. 

Tip of my hat to everyone involved.

This ain't your Dad's Buffalo Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not to quibble, but TW will be 31 when he becomes eligible for free agency. 

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is EXACTLY why we should have been thrilled that Tre was first. If Tre signed tomorrow he was going to be an AAV of $21.5M. No matter what, he was going to sign for the biggest CB contract ever. That’s how it works. The market gets reset. With Ramsey, Humphrey, Lattimore all in line for a new deal it was huge for Tre to be first. 

You know 100x more than me about NFL but I respectfully disagree with this. Tre KNEW that Ramsey and Lattimore deals are coming soon, and he KNEW that at least Ramsey will sign for more after him. And he still signed the contract and looked genuinely happy about it.

I didn't have time to watch his press conference after signing, but from couple of reactions I read here it is clear that he is smart and humble man, happy with what he got. Why do you suddenly think that his mentality is same as Ramseys and he NEEDS to sign for higher AAV than everybody before him? He did sign for highest AAV at that time since there was no other reasonable option (asking him to sign for less would be insult on Beane's part).

I know you don't mean it that way (and I also know that you might be right), but to me the notion that Tre would NO MATTER WHAT require to sign for more than Ramsey (if he was signing after Ramsey) is almost like an insult of Tre personality. 

I think Tre signed the deal knowing that something like this is coming and was fine with it, because he doesn't care about money and money only. If he did care about money only, he'd wait for others to sign.

On a side note, Rams are crazy and Beane is a genius.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rams as of yesterday were 400k over the cap 

I mean - none of this hits the cap this year so that doesn't change anything.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

It doesn’t kick in until next year?

Tre whites doesn't kick in until 2022 actually.  He plays his 5th year option year then gets 4 more after that.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Let’s see how this season plays out first. 

I don’t think we have to see how the season plays out first at all. 

Everyone knows how good Tre is, and he got him signed at an absolute steal. 

Whether or not he performs isn’t up to Beane, Beane did His part and he did an excellent job. Tre was getting paid regardless. 

Such a weird phenomenon that some Bills fans have to be guarded at all times. Nothing can ever just be a good thing. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1