Why are the Bills sticking with such a poor punter?

BobbyC81

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

It’s not, actually. A punter can kick it 75 yards with no hang time. It’s about getting both: distance and hang time. 

I don't think Bojo is that bad. I think folks tend to focus on the bad kicks and forget the good ones. Like I said, I don't think we are punting that much this year.

• Like (+1) 2

I think there’s one word to describe why he’s still here. Potential. 
They have to feel close to unlocking his full potential or they would of worked harder to find a replacement. When he’s on that kid has all the tools to be a top punter in the league. Similar to what promo said above me as fans I think we lock onto the bad kicks a little more and ignore what good he does when he’s on. I don’t think he will have as long of a leash this year if he continues his ups and downs. 

Looking at league wide statistics can be misleading.  When you group guys punting outside with the dome punters and the guy punting in Denver, there is an advantage bias.  No doubt he has messed up some punts but so do some of the other guys out there.  I believe he is on a short leash and can be gone in the wink of an eye.  For right now it's his job to lose and I have no doubt that Beane will release him if his performance is not what they want.

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

Bojorquez was at the bottom of the league last year in punt average.  He was decent in 2018 with about a 45 yard average but still in the bottom half.

If they’re serious about having good special teams, why do they stick with this guy? With his 40 yard average last season, he’s losing  5 to 10 yards of field position vs other punters.  I know they emphasize positional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20 but how many times have we seen a shank from our end when a booming kick was needed?

They all can't be

Ray Guy

Career NFL statistics
Punts: 1,049
Punting yards: 44,493
Average punt: 42.4

or

Reggie Roby

Career NFL statistics
Punts: 992
Punting yards: 42,951
Punting Avg: 43.3

17 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Looking at league wide statistics can be misleading.  When you group guys punting outside with the dome punters and the guy punting in Denver, there is an advantage bias.  No doubt he has messed up some punts but so do some of the other guys out there.  I believe he is on a short leash and can be gone in the wink of an eye.  For right now it's his job to lose and I have no doubt that Beane will release him if his performance is not what they want.

Exactly, the Bills played basically every game in 30+ mph winds the second half of the season last year. Not only do I strongly believe that had a huge impact on Allen's deep ball accuracy stats, but unquestionably has a huge impact on punting. The punters in the games against the Bills did worse than he did (he was consistently the better punter in most games unless I'm totally misremembering).

Wind doesn't impact just the ball flying through the air, but more importantly the drop of the ball from the hand to the foot...but don't take my word for it, here is apro bowl punter discussing it fairly in depth:

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he has a big leg. This front office seems to value that above all else. His hang times are appalling and the amount of mistakes he makes is quite stunning.

He is a clear hole on the team (if we have one). I really hope that he doesn’t make one of those mistakes at the wrong time and cost the Bills a game. They really should have brought in better competition for him. My preference was Marquette King. I also hope with the new kicker they found a new holder.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.

It was a protection issue.  They moved guys around late before the snap and the blocking got fouled up. NE actually had 2 blocked punt TDs last year.  It's like the johnny hekker fake - you know its coming but somehow it still happens and works.

27 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Exactly, the Bills played basically every game in 30+ mph winds the second half of the season last year. Not only do I strongly believe that had a huge impact on Allen's deep ball accuracy stats, but unquestionably has a huge impact on punting. The punters in the games against the Bills did worse than he did (he was consistently the better punter in most games unless I'm totally misremembering).

Wind doesn't impact just the ball flying through the air, but more importantly the drop of the ball from the hand to the foot...but don't take my word for it, here is apro bowl punter discussing it fairly in depth:

That was incredible informative. I love when players and coaches go into detail like that. Just shows how good and smart these guys really are

• Like (+1) 1