Looks Like, Once Again, Hank Williams Jr. Is Out For MNF

T&C

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It doesn’t fire me up so much as makes me feel all of the emotions. Which is a type of firing up... just in general I find it one of the best songs.

Now, a song that would fire me up before a football game would be “god’s gonna cut you down.” That makes me want to smash some faces.

I always thought Cash was like a country gangsta rapper.  Go tell that long tongue liar

46 minutes ago, T&C said:

Had no idea MNF will be going back to ABC, that is indeed good news. It was originally intended for the working man, OTA... then the working man had to pay for it.

I"m not a big country music guy but, no love for Willie?

Love me some Willie Nelson.

I’m also not a big country music guy, but the “outlaw” and Bakersfield sub-sections of country are great. Hell, old jukebox truck stop country is great, too. I guess I just don’t like modern, contemporary country, which I find to be just the absolute worst of the worst.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’m also not a big country music guy, but the “outlaw” and Bakersfield sub-sections of country are great. Hell, old jukebox truck stop country is great, too. I guess I just don’t like modern, contemporary country, which I find to be just the absolute worst of the worst.

It’s really a different genre. I used to listen to a lot of “new country” and enjoyed it then somewhere I realized it’s just trash. There’s some good artists and good music to be found, but for every Jamie Johnson (who I think is pretty good in general) there’s three Brad Paisley’s and their pop twang bs. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm more of an "Allmans, Goose Creek, Byrds, Grateful Dead, James Taylor" type of country music person but I don't mind some of the traditional stuff though... like you said, the modern ***** they have now is horrible.

This is the original. I liked Frank, Al, and Dan the best but Cosell and Dandy Don were pretty good too. Never will forget when Howard announced that John Lennon had been shot.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm more of an "Allmans, Goose Creek, Byrds, Grateful Dead, James Taylor" type of country music person.

Same.

Workingman’s Dead, as an album, is just exactly perfect.

Once saw the Allmans and The Dead at Thr Gorge in Washington. One of the best afternoons of my life.

As far as James Taylor, I could listen to “Carolina on my Mind” and “Sweet Baby James” on repeat all day.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Same.

Workingman’s Dead, as an album, is just exactly perfect.

Once saw the Allmans and The Dead at Thr Gorge in Washington. One of the best afternoons of my life.

As far as James Taylor, I could listen to “Carolina on my Mind” and “Sweet Baby James” on repeat all day.

Shame on me, I left out The Band and Gram Parsons. I'm sure that you can "logically" see that I was funning at the beginning of this thread too ... had no idea it would become what it is lol.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

There’s few changes that wouldn’t improve MNF.... what you described would be awesome.

I’d be fine with just a random, different Johnny Cash song each week. Why do we need a specific hype song for football?? It’s football! The hype is built in. 

I would gladly sit and listen to Hurt in preparation of a football game. 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

That song, coupled with the right series of NFL imagery, would actually be pretty ***** powerful stuff.

That is one powerful and fantastic tune.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

When that opinion is that the lives of people that look different than you are worth less, than absolutely yes it's better to destroy cities. We've done it for a hell if a lot less.

Your solution to racial strife is to burn the areas most inhabited by the people you are claiming to help? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Something about the way he sang those songs when he was older you just knew that it was the gravely voice of a man who could take your life if he wanted it. 

Johnny Cash and Rick Rubin were/are both legends at top of their fields.  Rubin is an absolute genius and when the two of them collaborated, you just knew it would be gold.  And it was.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

As long as he doesn't play Pancho & Lefty.

• Haha (+1) 1

"Around 1956, Richard became involved with Audrey Robinson, a sixteen-year-old college student, originally from Savannah, Georgia. Richard and Robinson quickly got acquainted despite Robinson not being a fan of rock and roll music. Richard claimed in his 1984 autobiography that he invited other men to have sexual encounters with her in groups and claimed to have once invited Buddy Holly. to have sex with her; Robinson denied those claims." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Richard

So they are replacing a racist with someone who wants to challenge sexual mores and lower the age of consent? Sounds pretty on trend for 2020.

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

Hank Williams Jr was never a "truth teller".  His "truth" stems from his dysfunctional childhood (he was touring with country western shows as a young boy singing his famous father's songs to support his family), his long time alcohol and drug abuse, his troubled personal life, and the era and place (segregated South) in which he grew up.

PS - I really like Bocephus' music but that doesn't blind me to his personal failings.

But it is still his truth as he see's it or in most cases of his songs lived it !

Oh most definitely Hank is a flawed human being as we all are i didn't mean to sound as if he was a super person that never did anything wrong he still struggles today with drinking from things i've seen .

But he tells it like it is no matter how good or bad it might be and today that's not a acceptable action in some eyes.The truth shall set you free ! 😅

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:11 AM, BullBuchanan said:

As a folk/outlaw/country fan, his music sucks and he sucks. Not sure what the loss is here.

His Dad was great though.

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

Hank Williams Jr was never a "truth teller".  His "truth" stems from his dysfunctional childhood (he was touring with country western shows as a young boy singing his famous father's songs to support his family), his long time alcohol and drug abuse, his troubled personal life, and the era and place (segregated South) in which he grew up.

PS - I really like Bocephus' music but that doesn't blind me to his personal failings.

Dysfunction is reality.

• Like (+1) 1