Looking back at the 2017 draft

CorkScrewHill

Three really solid players including one who is one of the top few in his position. Obviously in hindsight not getting Mahomes hurts, but it is interesting to see how the draft was viewed by twobillsdrive at the time. In general an excellent and foundational draft looking back.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Three really solid players including one who is one of the top few in his position. Obviously in hindsight not getting Mahomes hurts, but it is interesting to see how the draft was viewed by twobillsdrive at the time. In general an excellent and foundational draft looking back.

You have to include either Allen or Edmunds in the equation as well. 

So say Allen and you have: 

- All pro CB

- Solid/above average LT

- Very good LB

- Borderline franchise QB 

Say Edmunds: 

- All pro CB

- Solid/above average LT

- Very good LB

- Very good/near elite LB whose stock is rising. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You have to include either Allen or Edmunds in the equation as well. 

So say Allen and you have: 

- All pro CB

- Solid/above average LT

- Very good LB

- Borderline franchise QB 

Say Edmunds: 

- All pro CB

- Solid/above average LT

- Very good LB

- Very good/near elite LB whose stock is rising. 

Agreed

Was a solid draft and the proper time to look at it overall now. I was hopefull on Peterman like I am now on Fromm. I will never get pissed about taking QB's late as you never know if/when a gem will land. 

White

Dawkins

Milano

Also, pushed us to get Allen and Edmunds in 2018 as you atated = great Stuff!

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

"In hindsight not getting Mahomes hurts."

Yeah, you can say that again.

We will see.  I really think if neither team gets derailed by injury it is going to be Buffalo/KC doing battle for AFC Title the next 3 or 4 years.  Right now obviously Passing on Mahomes is hard to swallow but this Bills team is ready to take off.  It should be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

Compare 2017 to the “ three starters off the bus” 2016 draft that sadly had become the norm...

This was a great draft netting 1 elite and 2 solid  starters, two of which have signed to their second contract already which hasn’t happened for a while , plus the first round pick...

Let’s hope that we see the same results from the 2018 class... signs are looking ok at the moment..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing is going to make up for passing on Mahomes. He's going to win a bunch of SB's while Bills fans and Josh Allen watch from home. Deal with it. Even considering White's success, this draft has to be considered a massive failure in light of Whaley's poor judgement. Doug set this franchise back a generation. Just give it a year or 2. The Bills QB carousel will be back underway soon enough. I bet Andy Reid is still laughing about cashing in on our blunder.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

"In hindsight not getting Mahomes hurts."

Yeah, you can say that again.

Yea, think how the Bears fans feel taking Mich at #2.   

Trading back to get White and a #1 going into what was considered a QB heavy draft is OK by me. Of course the Bills "over achieve " and go to the playoffs.

The only way I would have been hurt is if White was a bust... If I recall correctly very few were thinking Mahomes was a sure superstar.

4 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

2017 draft was awesome but I was banging the table for JuJu over Zay 

White, Dawkins, JuJu, Milano 

Juju is more talented than Zay no doubt but he is a huge diva.  He wouldn't fit with the current culture/lockerroom vibe that Beane and McDermott have created.  There are Steelers fans who already want to run the guy out of town.  Our WR corp here is solid now so no need to look back in hindsight on the Zay Jones miss.  

That was a really good draft.  I would love to have the Zay Jones pick back, but otherwise it's a solid A.  

I find the constant second-guessing of Mahomes non-pick tiresome.  We were never drafting a QB that year, and there's no reason to think that Buffalo Mahomes would have developed into the same player as Kansas City Mahomes.  He seems like a good guy and I like watching him play.  I never think about him as a potential Bill except when people bring it up here.  (Compare and contrast to Haloti Ngata who I'm still pissed about passing on even though he retired years ago).

On 9/8/2020 at 5:03 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

Really hurt passing on Kupp for Zay:cry:

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Nothing is going to make up for passing on Mahomes. He's going to win a bunch of SB's while Bills fans and Josh Allen watch from home. Deal with it. Even considering White's success, this draft has to be considered a massive failure in light of Whaley's poor judgement. Doug set this franchise back a generation. Just give it a year or 2. The Bills QB carousel will be back underway soon enough. I bet Andy Reid is still laughing about cashing in on our blunder.

Set the Bills back a generation?  This is our best team this entire Century!  Fact!

• Like (+1) 1

God I love message boards. People like you just don’t exist in the real world.

• Like (+1) 1

31 other teams, if they knew what Mahomes would become, would have given the farm to move up to number 1 to get him. They didn’t which tells you something. Further back in 2017 some experts didn’t even have Mahomes in the first round. Now it is obvious .. then not so much.