Question: Is Moss pushing Devin to start?

Alphadawg7

The fantasy football people out there are all expecting for Moss to eventually be the primary back, Moss is even going before Singletary in a lot of drafts. I suspect this is mostly groupthink speculation. I keep reading (on fantasy sites) that Moss has looked better in camp & Singletary has fumbled too much, but I've heard next to nothing positive or negative about Moss all camp & nothing of Devin fumbling.

If there was any truth to this, at least for week 1, I assume all of TBDers would know about it.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

nice problem to have:)

the great thing about the Moss Motor pair is how dissimilar they are. Motor is a home run hitter while Moss can grind out the extra yard.

on 1st and 10, from what I have seen, Motor is the better option. 3rd and short, Moss might be the better option (so in answer to OP's question - I feel Singletary shd start)

not to say Motor cant do 3rd and shot or vice versa - just relative strengths

we might see more Moss rather than Motor vs 8 man boxes - except in those settings my eyes will be on Diggs / Brown rather than the RB.

all in all - it is a pick your poison choice for defenses.

Let us strap in and enjoy the ride

19 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

Moss should be pushing to take over for the starter. No idea if he's better than DS, but I'd be more worried if Moss was happy to play second fiddle.

Actually I heard he loves playing second fiddle...that is what all rookies strive for. 

PS He is also adept at playing the jug, and one string bass 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Haha (+1) 2

I know the Fantasy experts are starting to push the Moss winning the starting job narrative lately, but honestly, I think they start using each other as the source for the information, so all it takes is one to get the rumor started.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I personally think Singletary will start out getting the lions share of carries and then it just depends how he does from there.  My uneducated guess is 60% of the carries for Singletary, 25% for Moss and 15% for "other".

33 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I haven't heard or read a thing about Moss, although I have seen some articles mention Singletary having fumbling issues.  I don't recall ball security being a big issue for Devin last year and there haven't been any preseason games this year.  While this is strictly opinion, here's what I think will happen:  Devin, having had a very successful rookie year last season, will start.  As long as he plays well and keeps the ball off the carpet, he will continue to start.  Moss will work into the rotation and get a fair amount of playing time.  If his play is superior to Singletary's, he'll take over as the starter in a few weeks.  For now, Singletary will start based on his prior excellent play and his year of experience.  If they both play well and there's a question over who should start, that may be a good problem to have.

You don't recall ball security being an issue last year?  Singletary had the worse ball security stats of all eligible running backs in the NFL - he was the worst fumbler in the NFL in fumbles per attempt.

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just a thought: Maybe we should wait for Moss to play a game before crowning him the next coming of Barry Sanders?

Maybe we should wait for someone to actually crown Moss the next coming of Barry Sanders before condemning someone for crowning Moss the next Sanders?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think the fumble issue with Singletary is something to pay attention to, but I don't think deserves a label yet. Just to note, that does tie him for 3rd in the league amongst RB's. Fumbles lost vs. won is largely luck. I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in it.

I am more "concerned", maybe curious is a better word, as to how productive DS can be as a feature back. He was used pretty sparingly last year at 150 carries on the season. Which is good enough for 30th. Assuming he stays RB1, that number will most likely jump to 225 to 250. Can he average 4.3-ish yards per carry at that clip? I think somebody posted a breakdown of last season that DS rarely saw 8 in the box even compared to league averages. 

Not condemning him, but definitely something I have been curious about watching this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

I think the fumble issue with Singletary is something to pay attention to, but I don't think deserves a label yet. Just to note, that does tie him for 3rd in the league amongst RB's. Fumbles lost vs. won is largely luck. I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in it.

I am more "concerned", maybe curious is a better word, as to how productive DS can be as a feature back. He was used pretty sparingly last year at 150 carries on the season. Which is good enough for 30th. Assuming he stays RB1, that number will most likely jump to 225 to 250. Can he average 4.3-ish yards per carry at that clip? I think somebody posted a breakdown of last season that DS rarely saw 8 in the box even compared to league averages. 

Not condemning him, but definitely something I have been curious about watching this season. 

I think Singletary gets the same number of carries this year as last - with a slight uptick for the games that he missed.  I'd put hims at an uptick from 151 carries last year to 175 this year, and Moss having similar carries numbers - with Allen's carry numbers slightly down.  If they run 1000 plays this year and rush 43% of the time, that's 430 carries split between Singletary, Moss, Allen, and others - like end arounds to receivers, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve seen some rumblings on Twitter and some mentions about that on TSW over the weekend that basically suggested Moss has blown everyone away and Devin was having some fumbling issues in camp.  They also alluded that because of that, Moss was making a push to over take Devin on the depth chart.

LOL..   Never get your news based off of Twitter mentions (rumors) and TSW.  (or FB) 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, to be clear, I am NOT suggesting any of this and I do really like both Devin and Moss.  I am just asking if anyone had any better info on this or heard anything similar or anything that refutes this.  

End of the day, I think we all have been pretty clear about the fact Moss was going to be involved every week.  No surprise there, now it’s just a question to how much as the season goes on each week.

Every player should push each other to play their best on every down.

If Moss pushes Singletary all the better IMO.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

They’re both going to play. A lot.

I’m sure one guy will probably take a back seat if there are ball security issues, but other than that I think you’ll see them used in different situations.

This is correct. 

Looking around the league there very few bell cow rbs anymore.

As the season goes on I would look for a split around 50/50 but start the season at 70/30.

24 minutes ago, 716er said:

Again, McD did last year.

I know. how'd that work out? Lesson learned. no need to try to create doubt from defenders this year. We dont need as many gadget plays. We are strong enough to just say "hello, hunted? Coming to get ya"

44 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just a thought: Maybe we should wait for Moss to play a game before crowning him the next coming of Barry Sanders?

Yo Rocky, crowning him, what are you Dennis Green, then again we’ll let you off the hook.  Sorry too easy.  All good, and you make a point and as much as I’m excited to see Moss on the field, I’m tabling that’s until Singletary needs relief.  Motor is still the man.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billzfan37 said:

You don't recall ball security being an issue last year?  Singletary had the worse ball security stats of all eligible running backs in the NFL - he was the worst fumbler in the NFL in fumbles per attempt.

I'm not sure who were the "eligible running backs"?

I just pulled the data for all rushers with >100 rushing attempts from pro-football-reference into a spreadsheet and calculated fumbles per 100 rush attempts myself.

LeSean McCoy was worst with 3 fumbles per 100 rush attempts.

Singletary was 2nd with 2.6 per 100 rush attempts

Right behind him were Chris Carson of Seattle with 2.5 and Melvin Gordon of LAC with 2.5

Followed by Alvin Kamarra of the Saints with 2.3 and Austin Ekeler of LAC with 2.3

From this, it seems to me that while true if "eligible" exempts LeSean McCoy's 101 attempts, it's true that Singletary was worst, but his ball security was not in a terrible, horrible, no good very bad class of its own - very respectable RBs had similar numbers. 

I'm sure it's something they want him to improve but it's not like "OMG fix it or you're done"

PS just did the same calc using total yards from scrimmage.  Singletary comes in 10th.  Players around him include Carson, McCoy, Tarik Cohen, Gordon, then Motor, closely followed by Mecole Hardman and Carlos Hyde.  So again - it's something where he needs to improve, but it's not "OMG, INconceivable!"

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 947 said:

The fantasy football people out there are all expecting for Moss to eventually be the primary back, Moss is even going before Singletary in a lot of drafts. I suspect this is mostly groupthink speculation. If there was any truth to this, at least for week 1, I assume all of TBDers would know about it.

If you are taking Moss over Singletary you are doing so more so out of blind faith in a rookie in a time split than anything else which would be foolish. I think that if Singletary gives you similar production to 2019 he is giving you mid to lower level RB2 play.