YoloinOhio

Who will win the AFC East this year?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. AFC East winner

• New England Patriots
    • Buffalo Bills
    • New Jersey Jets
    • Miami Dolphins

I didn’t make the votes public on this final division prediction to protect the lives of the innocent. I don’t want any sensitive posters going all Leodis on someone’s yard that they’ve worked so hard to maintain all summer just because they aren’t convinced the Bills will win the division. I think it is reasonable to still pick the Pats until more is proven. No, I didn’t go that route but I understand it. That said, Miami or Jets predictions require an explanation for those who choose to reveal themselves. Go Bills!!

Tried to post this in the thread about the Bills winning the division but it was closed. I think that it works here too.

Not winning the division will be a manor disappointment to me. I don’t see another .500 team in the division. The Bills will have to regress (or battle injuries) to not win it IMO. 

Let’s assume that they do stay healthy though. There are only a couple of things that could go wrong if that’s the case: Allen, OL, pass rush.

Let’s start with the pass rush. The Bills got pass rush last year from Shaq and Phillips. They do not have an elite edge rusher. Both Hughes and Addison are a year older and Epenesa may not have the feet. Murphy is constantly dinged and in his last year. It is possible that the Bills don’t get enough pressure (specifically from the edge). If that’s the case QBs will have time to find openings against the Bills bend but don’t break defense. The Bills could quickly become an average unit if that’s the case. They’d probably have to address it in the first round. Miami’s Gregory Rousseau would be the obvious target if you are bad enough. He may even warrant a trade up. The Bills need more athleticism on the EDGE whether they win the division or not.

The right side of the OL could be the other area of concern. It was a weakness last year. Is Ford a guard? Tackle? Backup? What about Nsekhe & Williams? Too old? You see where I’m going with this. There are still questions there. Josh wants to roll right to make plays. That’s where he has the option to take off or go up top. The whole field is in front of him rolling that way. If they continue to collapse that side it will limit Josh’s playmaking ability. Maybe someone like Alex Leatherwood who has been the RT at Alabama? He’s played against that elite SEC speed on the edge. He’s blocked for a lefty and a righty. He just feels like a guy that could come in week 1 and help you.

Lastly it would mean that Josh stopped progressing. If that’s the case I do not think that the Bills draft his replacement. Their window is open now. If Allen isn’t the guy I think that the Bills make a move for Matt Stafford. Detroit is forever Detroit. They may believe that it’s best to start over. The Bills send a couple of 1sts to the Lions and get 5-8 years of Stafford. This gives them the chance to win immediately.

I don’t see anything else that can prevent the Bills from winning the division (if healthy). This team is too deep and too talented to finish anywhere but 1st in the AFC East. The rest of the division is bad. It is improving but the lack of the offseason will hurt those other teams early in the year. I expect the Bills to win the division by 2+ games. Let’s enjoy it!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t make the votes public on this final division prediction to protect the lives of the innocent. I don’t want any sensitive posters going all Leodis on someone’s yard that they’ve worked so hard to maintain all summer just because they aren’t convinced the Bills will win the division. I think it is reasonable to still pick the Pats until more is proven. No, I didn’t go that route but I understand it. That said, Miami or Jets predictions require an explanation for those who choose to reveal themselves. Go Bills!!

I've got the lighter, who's got the lighter fluid?  And how do you get to Ohio?

😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even if the pats****** still had Brady I would still expect this team to win the division .

we were very close last year , and we improved our offense and defense this offseason, the pats****** on the other hand lost goat and couple of main pieces on defense , 

Not to win the division this year would be a total collapse ( IMHO ) 

I’ll go even further I would be really disappointed if we lose ONE division game 

I am picking the Dolphins ;)

I need some clicks on my website to stay relevant like Peter King ;)

Seriously though this poll is on a Bills fan site how objective are we going to be?

Of course I think the Bills will win it 16-0 baby ;)  

My real projection is 11-5 same as last year.

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Reallllly?!

No not really it was me jack assing around

• Haha (+1) 1

Barring a massive string of injuries, the Bills should win the division easily.

-  The Dolphins are in the midst of a rebuilding season.  I think the Tua pick was a smart gamble, and they seemed to have a pretty good draft.  But the roster is still years away from truly competing.  In typical Fitz-fashion, they will be competitive in games they should be getting blown out, and then stupidly lose games they have a chance to win.  It won't take long before fans are calling for Tua.  And even if he plays well from the gate, all rookie QBs have their struggles.  It's hard to see this team finishing above .500.

-  The Jets are stuck in the same "one step forward, two steps back" cycle, which plagued us for almost two decades.  They had some positive momentum to finish 2019, but then lost their two best defenders (Adams and Mosley) for the season.  I don't see any significant upgrades across the rest of the roster.  At least not enough to notch them the additional 3-4 wins necessary to end in 1st place.  I liked Sam Darnold coming out of college, but they have failed to surround him with anything decent and the offense is reportedly still struggling badly in training camp.  Many are even considering this a lame-duck season for their head coach.

-  After 20 years of dominance, it's hard for anyone to discount the Patriots.  But let's be honest here.  The talent on offense is bone-dry.  Does anyone really envision Cam Newton (who has struggled badly over the last few years) having more success with this offense than Tom Brady did?  The Patriots often struggled to score in 2019.  And they did virtually nothing to improve the situation for 2020.  Even if Newton's best days weren't far behind him, his playing style simply does not match Josh McDaniels offense.  The defense is going to be expected to carry the team, despite losing multiple starters (Hightower, Chung, Collins, Van Noy).

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tried to post this in the thread about the Bills winning the division but it was closed. I think that it works here too.

Not winning the division will be a manor disappointment to me. I don’t see another .500 team in the division. The Bills will have to regress (or battle injuries) to not win it IMO. 

Let’s assume that they do stay healthy though. There are only a couple of things that could go wrong if that’s the case: Allen, OL, pass rush.

Let’s start with the pass rush. The Bills got pass rush last year from Shaq and Phillips. They do not have an elite edge rusher. Both Hughes and Addison are a year older and Epenesa may not have the feet. Murphy is constantly dinged and in his last year. It is possible that the Bills don’t get enough pressure (specifically from the edge). If that’s the case QBs will have time to find openings against the Bills bend but don’t break defense. The Bills could quickly become an average unit if that’s the case. They’d probably have to address it in the first round. Miami’s Gregor Rousseau would be the obvious target if you are bad enough. He may even warrant a trade up. The Bills need more athleticism on the EDGE whether they win the division or not.

The right side of the OL could be the other area of concern. It was a weakness last year. Is Ford a guard? Tackle? Backup? What about Nsekhe & Williams? Too old? You see where I’m going with this. There are still questions there. Josh wants to roll right to make plays. That’s where he has the option to take off or go up top. The whole field is in front of him rolling that way. If they continue to collapse that side it will limit Josh’s playmaking ability. Maybe someone like Alex Leatherwood who has been the RT at Alabama? He’s played against that elite SEC speed on the edge. He’s blocked for a lefty and a righty. He just feels like a guy that could come in week 1 and help you.

Lastly it would mean that Josh stopped progressing. If that’s the case I do not think that the Bills draft his replacement. Their window is open now. If Allen isn’t the guy I think that the Bills make a move for Matt Stafford. Detroit is forever Detroit. They may believe that it’s best to start over. The Bills send a couple of 1sts to the Lions and get 5-8 years of Stafford. This gives them the chance to win immediately.

I don’t see anything else that can prevent the Bills from winning the division (if healthy). This team is too deep and too talented to finish anywhere but 1st in the AFC East. The rest of the division is bad. It is improving but the lack of the offseason will hurt those other teams early in the year. I expect the Bills to win the division by 2+ games. Let’s enjoy it!!

Even with injuries or a regression from a unit, this team should be  a contender to win the division based on coaching, if McDermott isn't the right coach then what decision should be taken or which way to go

Sheil Kapadia of The Athletic has us winning the division:    

https://theathletic.com/2049506/2020/09/08/nfl-preseason-power-rankings-predicting-each-teams-record-in-2020/

11. Buffalo Bills

Take away every team’s quarterback, and the Bills probably have one of the five best rosters in the league. QB traditionalists have given up on Josh Allen, but he made significant progress from his rookie year to last season. Not all quarterbacks find success in the same way. Allen is never going to complete 70 percent of his passes. But if he can be more accurate downfield and hurt teams with his legs, the Bills have a chance to make a deep playoff run. The defense is well-coached and might be more talented than last year when it finished seventh in efficiency.

Season prediction: 10-6, wild-card round

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let’s start with the pass rush. The Bills got pass rush last year from Shaq and Phillips. They do not have an elite edge rusher. Both Hughes and Addison are a year older and Epenesa may not have the feet. Murphy is constantly dinged and in his last year. It is possible that the Bills don’t get enough pressure (specifically from the edge). If that’s the case QBs will have time to find openings against the Bills bend but don’t break defense. The Bills could quickly become an average unit if that’s the case. They’d probably have to address it in the first round. Miami’s Gregor Rousseau would be the obvious target if you are bad enough. He may even warrant a trade up. The Bills need more athleticism on the EDGE whether they win the division or not.

I agree with this completely. My low bar for the season is winning the division and winning at least one playoff game.  There are other things I want to see to make me confident that we are headed in the right direction, some are things you listed above, but divisional champs and a playoff win are my minimum expectation.

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I am picking the Dolphins ;)

I need some clicks on my website to stay relevant like Peter King ;)

Seriously though this poll is on a Bills fan site how objective are we going to be?

Of course I think the Bills will win it 16-0 baby ;)  

My real projection is 11-5 same as last year.

No not really it was me jack assing around

I love when people post polls on their website or twitter and think it isn’t just an echo chamber of their audience.  We are the favorites and should win the division.  But I’m guessing a NE poll would be different and I think Miami would have a few more votes on theirs.  

I do think Jets fans hate their team more than we do.  

I'm trying to be objective.  But I think it's the Bills for a couple reasons.  One is continuity; I think that is going to be critically important in this Covid altered year.  On the defense we have a ton of continuity in the back 7, and on offense other than Diggs we have a ton of continuity up front, in the WR corps, and of course with Josh.  I think Josh contiunes developing this year as he's done the past two seasons.  Second, I think the Pats while being our toughest competitor lost way too many people on defense, so despite the brilliance of Belichick that will be a challenge.  They also will not be as effective on offense given Brady's departure and a thin WR corps; I also do not think Newton is good enough to overcome those effects.

As for the other teams?  The Fish will put up a fight.  I think Flores is doing a helluva job, but they still have issues on the offensive side of the ball that will limit them for another year or so.  And the Jets will not scare anyone as long as Gase is their HC.