NFL Practice Squad Tracker

ColoradoBills

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

So after all the dust has "almost" settled this is how I see everything.

1.  From the Bills original roster the 2 players gone are Vincent Taylor and Robert Foster.

2.  Bills rumored to be acquiring Kumerow and Slayton.

3.  2 players are going to be needed to fill the IR designations.  Could there be more going to IR we just don't know yet.

4.  Marlowe and Roberts rumored to replace 2 IR slots.

It seems to me Beane and McDermott are happy with what they got and should field a team that is already acclimated to each other.

My next question will be how they handle the PS "call up" options.  That could be fun to watch especially after guys start getting nicked up.

I suspect that given the abbreviated offseason, and training camps, the entire league will be seeing more injuries than usual.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

He was a star rugby player. He has four preseason games, and a year on the PS. He's also 29. If his dream is to play in the NFL, that window is certainly closing. By accepting the special designation, he commits to not playing in a real game for another year. I would imagine he at least considered turning down that designation.

He is also learning to play a sport he hasn't played before. Rugby may look like Football, but it isn't, there are differences.

I'm sure if his agent knew there was serious interest in him getting more playing time somewhere else he would have signed somewhere else

This is probably his best option to be a bit more successful in his attempt to make the NFL getting to ensure that he will get to continue the training the Bills are giving him without that getting disrupted and going somewhere else.

47 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Id like it better if he played with a lot of confidence. 

I couldn't even think of what word they meant. Playing with a lot of coincidence sounds really rare, though.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

He is also learning to play a sport he hasn't played before. Rugby may look like Football, but it isn't, there are differences.

I'm sure if his agent knew there was serious interest in him getting more playing time somewhere else he would have signed somewhere else

This is probably his best option to be a bit more successful in his attempt to make the NFL getting to ensure that he will get to continue the training the Bills are giving him without that getting disrupted and going somewhere else.

I would imagine that Beane/McD also told him that if he didn't accept the designation, he was done in Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I can imagine what the Packers see in Foster. With the decline of Allen's deep ball last season, he was almost a no-show on our offense. They could still see potential in him as a deep threat for Rodgers. He still has the speed.

Passing Covid-19 protocols?

Why would that affect them signing the player though?

Other teams have signed players from other teams to their PS

This would only affect the player being able to join the team at the teams facility for Practice.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So instead of being on another teams 53 he chose to be on a special PS spot where he can't be promoted to the 53 of any team just to stay with the Bills?

Once Wade is waived he doesn't have to sign to roster of another team. He could be offered a PS spot. He might decide he'd rather stay with the Bills.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We're talking about Tanzel Smart. 

If you mean Robert Foster, he was signed to the Packers practice squad.  The Packers did not claim him off waivers.  The only Bill claimed off Waivers was Vincent Taylor.

My bad. All we have is Ryan Talbot's tweet saying someone wanted Tanzel Smart, which may or may not be the Packers.

9 minutes ago, FLFan said:

He was not claimed of waivers.  He was signed to the practice squad.  The Bills were done with him I believe.  

As I understand it, after Foster cleared waivers, he was free to sign on to the practice squad of any team that wanted him.  It's certainly possible that the Bills didn't want him.  It's also possible that both the Bills and GB wanted him, but he felt he would have a better chance of being later elevated to the 53 on the Packers rather than the Bills.  With 2 of this year's WR draftees kept on the Bills' 53 while he was cut, I could understand Foster thinking he would have better future opportunities elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great post.

I really like the roster, from top to bottom.

The practice squad has quite a few guys that may end up seeing active duty this year. Cam Lewis, Dane Jackson, Bryan Cox, Evan Boehm, and Duke Williams, just to name a few. 

In the event of COVID infections or injuries, the Bills have a nice squad of players to pull from.

They also have a few long-term "upside" investments on either the active roster or the practice squad, like Trey Adams, Darryl Johnson, and Jake Fromm.

I would expect that there will not be a lot of poaching by teams unless this Covid stuff becomes a big issue.

The good thing about the "upside" you mentioned is that almost all the guys worthy will be signing futures contracts next year!

With the IR only being 3 weeks long I expect to see a decent number of players moving around "injury wise" from active to inactive slots.

I"M READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So instead of being on another teams 53 he chose to be on a special PS spot where he can't be promoted to the 53 of any team just to stay with the Bills?

I have to believe that as he was weighing his options, he saw remaining in the special designation, and getting a chance to play next year as his best chance of remaining in the NFL. I would think that how tenuous the entire season is, as a result of the pandemic, was also a consideration.

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I literally have no idea.  It is a shame that the game is at the same time as the Bills/Jets.

I want to watch that game to see what is going on with both of those teams!

Well, the Pats* have now signed three WRs to their PS. It's weird how incomplete that team is a week from the opener.

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Once Wade is waived he doesn't have to sign to roster of another team. He could be offered a PS spot. He might decide he'd rather stay with the Bills.

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I have to believe that as he was weighing his options, he saw remaining in the special designation, and getting a chance to play next year as his best chance of remaining in the NFL. I would think that how tenuous the entire season is, as a result of the pandemic, was also a consideration.

Or maybe he cleared waivers without an off because I mean none of these teams offered him last time and haven't seen anything new from him since. Then perhaps the Bills were the only team to offer him a PS spot on the special designation so he took it. You know like what would make sense.

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Or maybe he cleared waivers without an off because I mean none of these teams offered him last time and haven't seen anything new from him since. Then perhaps the Bills were the only team to offer him a PS spot on the special designation so he took it. You know like what would make sense.

This is pretty much what I'm saying. But, I would think he still would have considered turning down the designation in hopes of landing somewhere down the line-- even with the Bills. If there is as much attrition as some suspect there will be, there will be regular spots on PSs in the weeks to come.

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why would that affect them signing the player though?

Other teams have signed players from other teams to their PS

This would only affect the player being able to join the team at the teams facility for Practice.

I was just referencing what Ryan Talbot had tweeted:

No Kumerow and Slayton on the initial PS list. Could both be added after going through the COVID-19 onboarding process with two of the names below being released.

I have gotta say, I'm surprised with what my expectations of Vosean Joseph was when we drafted him to the end result.  I thought he had the makings of potentially being an even more athletic version of Milano.    Disappointed that it didn't even come close to materializing.  

Just now, Magox said:

I have gotta say, I'm surprised with what my expectations of Vosean Joseph was when we drafted him to the end result.  I thought he had the makings of potentially being an even more athletic version of Milano.    Disappointed that it didn't even come close to materializing.  

Yeah there’s gotta be something to this story. They must of really disliked him or his work ethic or something. He has talent, this staff seems strong at coaching the best out of their players, so Joseph must have some issues were not aware of. 

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do the Bills get their conditional pick back for Andre Smith since they cut him and then placed him on the practice squad?

Yes.

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah there’s gotta be something to this story. They must of really disliked him or his work ethic or something. He has talent, this staff seems strong at coaching the best out of their players, so Joseph must have some issues were not aware of. 

"The best ability is availability"...he couldn't stay healthy, that was the issue, IMO.