Rules of engagement

4merper4mer

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why do you think they spend millions of dollars on those things and name them "bike paths"?

The type of path that best fits in the spandex mafia seems to be socio.

You've never been on a road bike, have you?

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What is the intended use of bike paths?  Just to throw some money away?

Bike paths are great when you have a 2” wide tire.

Your attitude is why I don’t ride as much.  You’ll clip me with your mirror and leave me dead in a ditch, all the while claiming your innocence because you were entitled to the entire lane of highway.  

Do you get this mad at tractors?  Backhoes?  Amish?  

22 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

If a road that is paralleled by a perfectly accessible bike path is cluttered with spandex mafia anyway, is a car within its rights to just keep driving or is horn honking required before any contact is made?

I realize that this is most likely tongue in cheek, but as an avid cyclist I will refrain from further comment 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I don't know what a mish is, but there aren't tractor or backhoe operators crying at town hall meetings for gobs of money for special accommodations and then ignoring the outcome of their whining.

And since when do country roads not have pebbles?

Anyway I do not hit spandex mafia on purpose.  This thread started with an etiquette question.  But by all means continue to ignore rules of the road and whine at the town hall about it.  Physics, however, does not have a town hall or a complaint department.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Your attitude is why I don’t ride as much.  You’ll clip me with your mirror and leave me dead in a ditch, all the while claiming your innocence because you were entitled to the entire lane of highway.  

Yes.  A car is entitled  to the whole lane.  It's  fuel taxes at the pump go to building  it.  Kick in, and you  can get a portion of it. Do fuel taxes at pump go to building bike paths?

Actually,  vehicles with LOWER mpg should also be entitled to more.  More of their money goes to repair AND they may be doing less damage to the road.   Maybe not the air we breathe, but less damage to roads and bridges, etc...

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There’s a stretch of 2 lane highway here in VT (Route 100) that begins in Killington to the south, goes through 4 or 5 ski resort towns (e.g., Waitsfield/Stowe) and ends almost at the Canadian border.  It’s absolutely beautiful as it swerves through the mountains, and has become a famous route for cyclists.  Seems they have races there almost every weekend during the late summer and fall.  So annoying.

Even if there isn’t a race, they get together in groups and ride 4-5 across the entire lane and do not move over for anyone.  I’ve been late for several work engagements in Montpelier, and several of my son’s hockey games as that’s the most efficient way to get to the northwest part of the state and Route 89.

I’d like to run over about 30 of them with a dump truck.  With their stupid matching spandex outfits like they’re all sponsored or something.  Losers.

I’m sure your gut hanging over your belt as you wolf down Big Macs thinks they’re losers also. 

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m sure your gut hanging over your belt as you wolf down Big Macs thinks they’re losers also. 

I envision Johnny as a pretty buff dude. LoL...  Big Macs? NEVER! Okay, maybe  only after that all-night pot smoking bender. 😉 😜 

1 minute ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

You guys got me, as this must be all jokes.  Carry on.

Riddle me this?  How do we fund roads? Shouldn't my money paid in my tank give me priority over the freeloaders?

15 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

There it is.  The superiority complex of the spandex mafia exposes itself.  Only rule breaking cyclists with look at me mom outfits can be in shape.  Nobody else could possibly be healthy because me me me.  Give me the whole road,. I'm so pretty in pink.....or purple...or if I'm really special canary yellow.

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I envision Johnny as a pretty buff dude. LoL...  Big Macs? NEVER! Okay, maybe  only after that all-night pot smoking bender. 😉 😜 

Riddle me this?  How do we fund roads? Shouldn't my money paid in my tank give me priority over the freeloaders?

To be fair, although the spandex mafia doesn't contribute a cent of funding, they're *itching and moaning can result in bigger dollars being spent.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I sense I’ve hit a nerve.  Do you enjoy the comforts of spandex?  Do you have a rear view mirror on your bike helmet?  A frisbee sized callus on your behind?  I’m sorry man.  My gut thinks you’re a nice person if that means anything 😘

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, 4merper4mer said:

If a road that is paralleled by a perfectly accessible bike path is cluttered with spandex mafia anyway, is a car within its rights to just keep driving or is horn honking required before any contact is made?

Keep driving no need to draw attention and give them a chance to move.  

I have a cyclist near my house that just causes problems for everyone and he thinks he road is all his. He will lose his mind if you pull out within 150 yards of him and throw stuff at you when he gets close. If you respond to him he pulls his phone out and records yelling “stop harassing me“. He pulled out into the street with out looking a couple weeks back and ran into the side of my car. He lost it on me but luckily a cop saw the whole thing and ticketed him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have a cyclist near my house that just causes problems for everyone and he thinks he road is all his. He will lose his mind if you pull out within 150 yards of him and throw stuff at you when he gets close. If you respond to him he pulls his phone out and records yelling “stop harassing me“. He pulled out into the street with out looking a couple weeks back and ran into the side of my car. He lost it on me but luckily a cop saw the whole thing and ticketed him. 

That’s the problem.  Many of these trouser stain cyclists think they own the road because they’re riding an $8,000 bicycle.  They think they’re better than everyone else, and have the right to block up a full lane of traffic.  You try to pass them and they get pissed off.  You ride behind them because there’s no safe place to pass and they get pissed off.  Cycling on public roads should be illegal, IMO, unless they’re not obstructing traffic.  Lock em all up.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That’s the problem.  Many of these trouser stain cyclists think they own the road because they’re riding an $8,000 bicycle.  They think they’re better than everyone else, and have the right to block up a full lane of traffic.  You try to pass them and they get pissed off.  You ride behind them because there’s no safe place to pass and they get pissed off.  Cycling on public roads should be illegal, IMO, unless they’re not obstructing traffic.  Lock em all up.

I wouldn't even know where to buy an 8K bicycle... and I live in Florida where it is flat as *****. Don't see the clusters of riders... must just be certain parts of the country.

More for me its the individual riders... random roads, could be anywhere. I did however see some idiot riding a bike on the right hand side of 75 a year or so ago. That's asking for trouble when the vehicles/semi's are rolling along at 70 mph or so. 

On 9/6/2020 at 9:26 PM, Sig1Hunter said:

Have you ever ridden a Peloton?? I’m pretty sure it was either invented by the devil or by a dude named Bubba from the New York State Penitentiary System. There’s no other explanation for why I had to pay so much money for my butt to hurt so badly.

I can make your butt hurt for a fraction of the cost:flirt::wub:

On 9/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, 4merper4mer said:

What is the intended use of bike paths?  Just to throw some money away?

To give @Jimmy Spagnola somewhere else to sleep besides an alley dumpster...

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 9/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

I would've gotten out and pummled his @$$ into oblivion...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/7/2020 at 10:56 AM, BeerLeagueHockey said:

These people are either making a living, or in the case of Amish, have one mode of transportation. I'll give you a pass if you give up your vehicle and ride your bike everywhere. The roads are dangerous enough without dodging the peloton. No offense to you personally.  I have the same conversation with many of my friends. 

On 9/7/2020 at 6:53 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Well you know, under the law in most states, a bicycle on the road is considered a vehicle.  So that guy on his bike does have a right to his piece of the road.  Don't get me wrong, it's a pain in the ass and you can read my thoughts on cyclists up-thread.

But I don't fault a guy for having an expensive, proper bicycle.  High tech bikes are super cool, if you're into mechanical stuff like I am!  It's the riders that get annoying. 

I notice nice bikes; in my experience most cyclists don't have anything close to an $8,000 bike anyway.

Maybe $1,500-$3,000. 

Edited by Nextmanup