Rules of engagement

4merper4mer

Bikers are the bane of my existence on my commute to and from work every day. Most of these roads have zero shoulder, so there's no choice but to follow.

3 weeks ago I made a left onto a pretty busy road at 7 am....a man and a lady and came out of a perpendicular road a few blocks up and were riding tandem in the middle of the lane. The guy saw me coming up the road and either turned too fast or clipped his riding partner and ended up flipping over the handlebars into the grass. That got my day off to a great start. ....I saw him sit up, so and he wasn't there on my way home, so I'm assuming he was ok.

• Haha (+1) 1

As a cyclist, I appreciate some kind of watching out by car drivers. 

That being said, I've stopped riding roads and mostly stick to bike paths. They're full of annoying race bike guys anyway, so I need to watch for them vs. cars. Seems like a fair tradeoff. I don't own riding clothes, and I push a moutainbike to its limits.

I don't always drive with both hands on the wheel but whenever I approach someone riding a bike you can bet that both are on it. I slow down until I can get around them... all it takes is one random stone or something for them to hit and then they could be in My path.

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

If a road that is paralleled by a perfectly accessible bike path is cluttered with spandex mafia anyway, is a car within its rights to just keep driving or is horn honking required before any contact is made?

I appreciate your concern for your health / well being. As an avid cyclist I will keep further comments to myself.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

If a road that is paralleled by a perfectly accessible bike path is cluttered with spandex mafia anyway, is a car within its rights to just keep driving or is horn honking required before any contact is made?

Where I live, the bike path (or ‘multi-use path’) is full of pedestrians, little kids on bikes, etc., so I always wonder why the spandex mafia groups who are riding $4000 bikes and wearing matching racing outfits don’t have somewhere more interesting or challenging to ride.

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Where I live, the bike path (or ‘multi-use path’) is full of pedestrians, little kids on bikes, etc., so I always wonder why the spandex mafia groups who are riding $4000 bikes and wearing matching racing outfits don’t have somewhere more interesting or challenging to ride.

They're too busy splitting the middle between people going opposite directions........during a pandemic.....🙄

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I have to ride through a seedy part of town to get to the employ and I wonder what they have been shooting up, smoking, popping, snorting... etc. Some of them are so aloof, waving their hands, shouting, weaving around, etc. that for me it once in awhile gets a bit scary. I don't want to be the guy that takes the hit for the "hit". They are all over the place here.

There’s a stretch of 2 lane highway here in VT (Route 100) that begins in Killington to the south, goes through 4 or 5 ski resort towns (e.g., Waitsfield/Stowe) and ends almost at the Canadian border.  It’s absolutely beautiful as it swerves through the mountains, and has become a famous route for cyclists.  Seems they have races there almost every weekend during the late summer and fall.  So annoying.

Even if there isn’t a race, they get together in groups and ride 4-5 across the entire lane and do not move over for anyone.  I’ve been late for several work engagements in Montpelier, and several of my son’s hockey games as that’s the most efficient way to get to the northwest part of the state and Route 89.

I’d like to run over about 30 of them with a dump truck.  With their stupid matching spandex outfits like they’re all sponsored or something.  Losers.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There’s a stretch of 2 lane highway here in VT (Route 100) that begins in Killington to the south, goes through 4 or 5 ski resort towns (e.g., Waitsfield/Stowe) and ends almost at the Canadian border.  It’s absolutely beautiful as it swerves through the mountains, and has become a famous route for cyclists.  Seems they have races there almost every weekend during the late summer and fall.  So annoying.

Even if there isn’t a race, they get together in groups and ride 4-5 across the entire lane and do not move over for anyone.  I’ve been late for several work engagements in Montpelier, and several of my son’s hockey games as that’s the most efficient way to get to the northwest part of the state and Route 89.

I’d like to run over about 30 of them with a dump truck.  With their stupid matching spandex outfits like they’re all sponsored or something.  Losers.

Seems like it’s either not the most efficient way or you may want to plan ahead better 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Maybe Vermont can spend a billion on a parallel bike route so they can ignore it.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Seems like it’s either not the most efficient way or you may want to plan ahead better 

Well he certainly shouldn't depend on the spandex mafia to stop their douchebaggery.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Seems like you need to shut your dirty ***** mouth.  There’s literally no other route, and you can’t plan for when those cyclists are going to be there.  You’re one of them...aren’t you?  You sponsored by Mountain Dew or Pampers?

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

I appreciate your concern for your health / well being. As an avid cyclist I will keep further comments to myself.

I'm also concerned for the spandex mafia's health despite their lack of recognition of the physics of car vs. bike and their absolute selfishness.  

If there is a parallel path made for them, why disrupt traffic?  It must be compensation for something.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

A few weeks ago, I saw a cyclist, not a spandex mafia member though, someone that we are supposed to believe that their life matters, ride through three red lights, not even slowing down, even causing cars to swerve or hit the brakes as he cut them off. 

6 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

A few weeks ago, I saw a cyclist, not a spandex mafia member though, someone that we are supposed to believe that their life matters, ride through three red lights, not even slowing down, even causing cars to swerve or hit the brakes as he cut them off. 

that’s an uncomfortable way to phrase that