Did The Bills Lose The Most Talent On Cut Day?

StHustle

According to BR, the Bills are in the top 5 of most talent lost when getting down to 53....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907823-nfl-teams-who-lost-the-most-talent-on-cut-day

Obviously the WR group sticks out most with former and current pro bowler Andre Roberts getting axed as well as future HOF Duke Williams...

They also list the Raiders, Jets, Eagles and Football Team. Not the greatest list to be associated with but in theory being forced to cut talented players is a great sign.

On a more serious note, I hope Duke gets scooped up on the practice squad. He has earned a shot at further development...

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

According to BR, the Bills are in the top 5 of most talent lost when getting down to 53....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907823-nfl-teams-who-lost-the-most-talent-on-cut-day

Obviously the WR group sticks out most with former and current pro bowler Andre Roberts getting axed as well as future HOF Duke Williams...

They also list the Raiders, Jets, Eagles and Football Team. Not the greatest list to be associated with but in theory being forced to cut talented players is a great sign.

On a more serious note, I hope Duke gets scooped up on the practice squad. He has earned a shot at further development...

Looking at the other 4 teams on that list makes me think this isn't very impressive or noteworthy. its not like those teams are juggernauts....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

I think Duke dropped his shot. They wanted a big catch radius WR who could make contested catches. McD stated his #1 priority was finding WR's who can catch. Seems Davis and Hodgins are those guys and proved in camp that they could do what Duke could do but younger, better, and cheaper. If Duke sticks on the PS, it is merely a covid/injury stash. The future is Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Davis/Hodgins.  McKittrick will stick around as a gadget for now and get his jet sweeps but by next year they may look to upgrade.  Roberts or another ST player may land on the roster, but my guess is they find a return man from the DB or RB side not the WR side.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

I do think Duke Williams will still end up on the PS.  Had a good camp, knows the system, etc.  That being said, the only time I would want to see him is if another WR is injured long term.  Loving the mix of proven (Diggs, Brown, Beasley), gimmick (McKenzie), and potential (Davis, Hodgkins) that is currently in place.  On paper, our WR corps has not been this good since Eric Moulds/Peerless Price/Josh Reed back in 2002. 

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

I think Duke dropped his shot. They wanted a big catch radius WR who could make contested catches. McD stated his #1 priority was finding WR's who can catch. Seems Davis and Hodgins are those guys and proved in camp that they could do what Duke could do but younger, better, and cheaper. If Duke sticks on the PS, it is merely a covid/injury stash. The future is Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Davis/Hodgins.  McKittrick will stick around as a gadget for now and get his jet sweeps but by next year they may look to upgrade.  Roberts or another ST player may land on the roster, but my guess is they find a return man from the DB or RB side not the WR side.

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

I do think Duke Williams will still end up on the PS.  Had a good camp, knows the system, etc.  That being said, the only time I would want to see him is if another WR is injured long term.  Loving the mix of proven (Diggs, Brown, Beasley), gimmick (McKenzie), and potential (Davis, Hodgkins) that is currently in place.  On paper, our WR corps has not been this good since Eric Moulds/Peerless Price/Josh Reed back in 2002. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

What did Duke in was the playoff loss in Houston.  He had a tremendous opportunity coming off a good games versus NYJ.  In big moments Duke came up empty including failing to make contested catches twice (1 in the endzone at the end of the half) and dropping another pass toward the end of the game.  His calling card was that if he could get his hands on the ball, he could make the catch.  His play dictated the opposite.  

If Duke makes one of those catches, you can easily argue it would be a different game.  

From that moment on, I think it eliminated any thought that he could be a contributor at WR and the team knew they needed a significant upgrade at WR. 

I like Duke and hope he catches on with another team as well.  I think he has pretty good talent and could contribute on ST’s.  I don’t think he’s a starter but can him helping in 4 wide or different passing packages 

12 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What did Duke in was the playoff loss in Houston.  He had a tremendous opportunity coming off a good games versus NYJ.  In big moments Duke came up empty including failing to make contested catches twice (1 in the endzone at the end of the half) and dropping another pass toward the end of the game.  His calling card was that if he could get his hands on the ball, he could make the catch.  His play dictated the opposite.  

If Duke makes one of those catches, you can easily argue it would be a different game.  

From that moment on, I think it eliminated any thought that he could be a contributor at WR and the team knew they needed a significant upgrade at WR. 

I like Duke and hope he catches on with another team as well.  I think he has pretty good talent and could contribute on ST’s.  I don’t think he’s a starter but can him helping in 4 wide or different passing packages 

Duke Williams is OK.  He has good size and plays hard.  But he is not overly fast athletic or sudden in his movements.  And his hands are mediocre.  He is a guy that is on the fringe of most NFL rosters.  He can make some plays some weeks.  But not consistently every week as shown by his games against the Jets in week 17 and in the playoff game against the Texans.  I think its telling that he cleared waivers and is back on our practice squad instead of getting picked up by another team.  If he can take his game up a couple of levels, he could probably contribute on a weekly basis.  Just not sure he has that kind of athletic ability in him.

Well if they are that good then the guys who made roster are even better.

It would be nice if lower talent teams were dumpster diving the Bills cuts because it wasn't too long ago the Bills were doing it themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He was a rookie in his first ever playoff game. He spent most the season not even practicing with the first team then had to learn how to catch a JA ball later. Did that and put up a 100 yard game in one of his first few starts of his career. Cant judge a guy with half a season under his belt for a few dropped passes in his first ever playoff game. As I stated, how he performed earned him a shot at further development opportunities.

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The Berzerker was a very underrated gimmick in a time of god awful gimmicks