Allegiant Stadium

Irv

The stadium has a roll-in natural grass field similar to the one at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.[70] While the Raiders play on the grass field, UNLV prefers to play on an artificial turf surface. The artificial turf is placed directly on the stadium's concrete floor, and the tray holding the grass field is designed so that it can roll in and out without disrupting the turf underneath it.[71]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegiant_Stadium

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

The stadium has a roll-in natural grass field similar to the one at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.[70] While the Raiders play on the grass field, UNLV prefers to play on an artificial turf surface. The artificial turf is placed directly on the stadium's concrete floor, and the tray holding the grass field is designed so that it can roll in and out without disrupting the turf underneath it.[71]

Well la-di-frikkin da

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But will the AC have to work that much harder because the skin on the building is absorbing infrared? I don't know these things.

Yes, it will. The black skin will absorb pretty much all the solar energy that hits it and the AC will have to compensate. They should at least throw some PV panels on top to offset the electricity used by the AC.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Do they have a troth  to piss in? If not its a dump

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

That thing looks horrendously tacky. But I suppose that’s perfectly suited to the whole Vegas theme.

Gimme three decks, open air and good sight-lines and I’m good. 

Gimme Three Decks is a horrible song.

Evidentally it reflects the sunlight and doesn't really absorb it.

"This is going to be one massive mirror," said Tommy White. "They're putting up the fabricated panels and also the glass sections so you have about 2,100 panels that are going up and over 8,000 glass sections," said White. The glass will be tinted in three or four different shades, and they'll be glare-resistant to keep the inside of the stadium cooler for fans. But, getting each of those panels to fit just right takes a lot of planning and finesse, like piecing together a $1.9 billion 3 dimensional puzzle. "Each section is a different size, even on the glass. Each panel of glass is a different size so to get it just right, and to get the color just right, you have to be very calculated on how it gets put in. nobody wants anything off," said White."With the glass on it," said Danny Truglio, a laborer steward, "You can tell it looks beautiful right now. With the tint on it. it's going to come out to be a really beautiful project."

16 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

That thing looks horrendously tacky. But I suppose that’s perfectly suited to the whole Vegas theme.

This is how I feel.  I am always amazed at the number of fans at this board who seem to long for a dome or semi-dome type modern monstrosity for the Bills.

I don't think a lot of Bills fans realize how pure and old fashioned an experience Ralph Wilson stadium is.  If we keep it long enough, it will transition through simply being "old" to something more "classic" providing an old-school game experience like Lambeau or some place like that.

Once the league is filled with stadiums like what they have in Dallas and Vegas, RWS will become that much more special.

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Deserts get cold at night:

"The Western Desert lives and breathes
In forty-five degrees..."

"Build a house like a shadow..."

https://thespaces.com/property-of-the-week-black-desert-house-in-yucca-valley-california/

Is that a Midnight Oil reference!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

None of what you're posting makes logical sense, but it's amusing.

Their mirror idea was a good one. I wonder how many birds it will kill...

Yeah... Whatever:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/aug/19/most-improbable-scientific-research-abrahams

I thought I explained it with the black desert house, black can be just as cool, if not "cooler." Style and function.  It also gets cold at night.  Maybe you  need reinforcement:

"It seems likely," the scientists wrote, "that the present inhabitants of the Sinai, the Bedouins, would have optimised their solutions for desert survival during their long tenure in this desert. Yet one may have doubts on first encountering Bedouins wearing black robes and herding black goats. We have therefore investigated whether black robes help the Bedouins to minimise solar heat loads in a hot desert."

...The results were clear. As the report puts it: "The amount of heat gained by a Bedouin exposed to the hot desert is the same whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe was lost before it reached the skin."

Bedouins' robes, the scientists noted, are worn loose. Inside, the cooling happens by convection – either through a bellows action, as the robes flow in the wind, or by a chimney sort of effect, as air rises between robe and skin. Thus it was conclusively demonstrated that, at least for Bedouin robes, black is as cool as any other colour."

On 9/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, 4_kidd_4 said:

I'm not crazy about the looks of it (I'm more of a traditionalist), but it seems like a fine building to go to watch basketball.

Baseball and Football are meant to be played OUTSIDE, in the elements. 

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I'm not crazy about the looks of it (I'm more of a traditionalist), but it seems like a fine building to go to watch basketball.

Baseball and Football are meant to be played OUTSIDE, in the elements. 

And I would add on GRASS.  Even in poor climates.  

I think back to all those years of watching Jim Kelly get slammed into, basically, a concrete floor with a thin rug on it in Orchard Park and even I can feel his joint/bone/back pain.  Poor bastard.

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Chargers new stadium could be something. 
https://www.chargers.com/news/sofi-stadium-discovery-science-channel

These things are wonderful pieces of architectural design. No doubt about that.

But would you want to watch a football game at one?  For me, having a roof or semi-roof over an outdoor arena is just totally wrong.  

It's totally the wrong ambience and isn't suited to the activity at hand.

None of these stadiums are needed.  But, the NFL has become the Billionaire Boys Club, and these owners are used to having to keep up with their rich peers.  They all want what the other guy has, and of course, the league is always looking to increase/maximize its revenue stream in every way possible.

I've said this many times, but I still can't believe they haven't sold out sponsorship space on the uniforms.  I guess none of these idiots have watched European sports for the last 30 years or so.

26 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And I would add on GRASS.  Even in poor climates.  

I think back to all those years of watching Jim Kelly get slammed into, basically, a concrete floor with a thin rug on it in Orchard Park and even I can feel his joint/bone/back pain.  Poor bastard.

These things are wonderful pieces of architectural design. No doubt about that.

But would you want to watch a football game at one?  For me, having a roof or semi-roof over an outdoor arena is just totally wrong.  

It's totally the wrong ambience and isn't suited to the activity at hand.

None of these stadiums are needed.  But, the NFL has become the Billionaire Boys Club, and these owners are used to having to keep up with their rich peers.  They all want what the other guy has, and of course, the league is always looking to increase/maximize its revenue stream in every way possible.

I've said this many times, but I still can't believe they haven't sold out sponsorship space on the uniforms.  I guess none of these idiots have watched European sports for the last 30 years or so.
Or NASCAR. :lol:

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Whatever:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/aug/19/most-improbable-scientific-research-abrahams

I thought I explained it with the black desert house, black can be just as cool, if not "cooler." Style and function.  It also gets cold at night.  Maybe you  need reinforcement:

"It seems likely," the scientists wrote, "that the present inhabitants of the Sinai, the Bedouins, would have optimised their solutions for desert survival during their long tenure in this desert. Yet one may have doubts on first encountering Bedouins wearing black robes and herding black goats. We have therefore investigated whether black robes help the Bedouins to minimise solar heat loads in a hot desert."

...The results were clear. As the report puts it: "The amount of heat gained by a Bedouin exposed to the hot desert is the same whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe was lost before it reached the skin."

Bedouins' robes, the scientists noted, are worn loose. Inside, the cooling happens by convection – either through a bellows action, as the robes flow in the wind, or by a chimney sort of effect, as air rises between robe and skin. Thus it was conclusively demonstrated that, at least for Bedouin robes, black is as cool as any other colour."

Yeah, its all about material. I'm aware of that.

But your first post said "build a house like a shadow" as if black was somehow cooler temp-wise. And then your next post is about night time temps, as if that made any difference.

Oh well, I mean I know you're not dumb, but those posts weren't justifying the look of the stadium in any way. It does fit in with the Vegas aesthetic, though.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, its all about material. I'm aware of that.

But your first post said "build a house like a shadow" as if black was somehow cooler temp-wise. And then your next post is about night time temps, as if that made any difference.

Oh well, I mean I know you're not dumb, but those posts weren't justifying the look of the stadium in any way. It does fit in with the Vegas aesthetic, though.

Then my next post was style.   Raiders are black.  And...Black doesn't mean ***** in the desert.  What's  your  point?

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That your posts made no sense, but were amusing. See? You agree with me. Stop fighting it.

My posts made sense and debunked myths. A black stadium has generally no effect in the desert.  Actually,  the desert is quite a cold place at night and it creates an aesthetic shadow, style. So there is form and function here.   Look, I hate the Raiders just as much as you do... But, I am not  going  to deny that their color scheme works in many ways and give in to some BS "that black will make things hotter."  I have  proven quite the opposite.  It's  a stadium, funny how people cling to preconceived notions.

I will give @PromoTheRobot a pass for starting your Tomfoolery.  He didn't know any better.  😆 😉.

The forecast for night time lows in Las Vegas for the next seven days is in the mid 60's, with two nights at 59.

I've spent many an night there, and in the summer, it certainly does not get cold.

As with everywhere else, in the evening the temp drops towards the atmospheric dew point. The desert has a much lower dew point, but it certainly isn't "cold," except during cold months,