Are the Bills 'light' at DT and CB's ??

LB48

57 minutes ago, LB48 said:

And - Harrison Phillips coming off an injury has played a total of 19 NFL games and most in a back-up role.  Now he's the starter??

He played a lot and at a high level before he went down. Star's snaps were dropping and his were increasing.

I don't think the problem at DT is depth. They have 4 that is what most 4-3 teams will keep. The issue at DT is they lost their starting 1 tech to covid opt out so there is potentially a gap there. Harrison Phillips is the one out and out 1 tech on the roster but he is coming back from a long term injury. Vernon Butler is a genuinely versatile piece and has played the 1 and the 3 at Carolina. Plugging him in next to Ed Oliver probably recreates the Butler and Short partnership the Panthers had. But he isn't a pure run stuffer. Oliver and Jefferson will only be in there together in definite pass rush scenarios otherwise it will be one or the other at the 3 tech. I do expect the Bills to be run on at times this year but they were at times last year and the year before with Star too. That more comes down to Edmunds (and a lesser extent Milano) as much as it does the 1 tech.

At corner, if they can sneak Lewis and Jackson onto the PS I am not concerned about overall depth. 3 genuine outside guys on the 53 is definitely a guy light but McDermott and Frazier have both said they have confidence in Siran to play outside now if they need him to. That said Isaiah McKenzie had to get us out of a game at corner last year so I do share a little the concern about gameday roster depth there.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I doubt this.  He’d be playing 3 tech and we already have 2 of the best pass rushing 3 techs in the league.  Oliver backed up by Jefferson.  I agree that he’ll be getting some snaps there because McD loves to switch things up, but I think he plays the more snaps at DE

Before training camp, the coaching staff had said Epenesa would only play DE this year because of the reduced practice time and being a rookie.  Later I recall media reports that he was seen playing inside also.

11 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Before training camp, the coaching staff had said Epenesa would only play DE this year because of the reduced practice time and being a rookie.  Later I recall media reports that he was seen playing inside also.

Ultimately how much difference does it really make, how many absolutely traditional 4-3 snaps does the team play. Lines blur in terms of use

DL: I think Vincent Taylor and Tansel Smart should stay close to their phones, if neither is signed elsewhere, they'll be brought back to the Practice Squad as insurance. But I would not be surprised if both are pick-up be other teams.

Cornerback: They are a dime a dozen. After the elites, it seems like there are plenty of options of young and veteran guys who can come in and give you playing time.

16 hours ago, LB48 said:

The Bills kept bringing in DT's through out training camp.  Quinton Jefferson is more of a DE than run stopping DT.  Harrison Phillips coming off an injury and Vernon Butler will have to handle the bulk of the load up the middle.  Can they stop runs up the gut of the defense??

Despite his aversion to tackling last year Levi Wallace seems to be the best pairing with Tre White right now at CB.  Josh Norman is a big question mark with his ongoing injuries.  Taron Johnson and Neal scare me back there as fill-in starters.

Any Comments?

Our highest graded run defender at DT last year was Oliver

Just sayin.....dont base run stop off of the how much they weigh

Edited by John from Riverside

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

I doubt this.  He’d be playing 3 tech and we already have 2 of the best pass rushing 3 techs in the league.  Oliver backed up by Jefferson.  I agree that he’ll be getting some snaps there because McD loves to switch things up, but I think he plays the more snaps at DE

Pretty sure Chris Brown said Epenesa was that playing more DT than DE

OP, you're 100% accurate. We have career backups and a guy that had a disappointing rookie year at DT. I do think Oliver can be good if not great and I also think Phillips will be a pleasant surprise, but these are just guesses at this point. We could be very soft against the run if Oliver and Phillips don't live up to my expectations and like the age old wisdom instructs, if you can just keep handing the ball off and they can't stop you, why risk incompletions and interceptions? Just keep handing it off. It's the safest way to travel.

We all know that the CB2 and Slot CB spots are manned by average players. It would be great to add a couple more CB's that are well above average -- maybe even another lockdown CB on the outside.

At DE, Murphy is better than many posters seem to think he is, but pass rush is not his forte and he is also pretty average. Hughes is also better than many posters think, but he's not getting any younger and he's above average, but not probowl good. Here's hoping Epinesa is a beast.

29 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

OP, you're 100% accurate. We have career backups and a guy that had a disappointing rookie year at DT. I do think Oliver can be good if not great and I also think Phillips will be a pleasant surprise, but these are just guesses at this point. We could be very soft against the run if Oliver and Phillips don't live up to my expectations and like the age old wisdom instructs, if you can just keep handing the ball off and they can't stop you, why risk incompletions and interceptions? Just keep handing it off. It's the safest way to travel.

We all know that the CB2 and Slot CB spots are manned by average players. It would be great to add a couple more CB's that are well above average -- maybe even another lockdown CB on the outside.

At DE, Murphy is better than many posters seem to think he is, but pass rush is not his forte and he is also pretty average. Hughes is also better than many posters think, but he's not getting any younger and he's above average, but not probowl good. Here's hoping Epinesa is a beast.

Waaaaait  a minute......by what standard are you basing Oliver having a disappointing rookie year?

????

19 hours ago, LB48 said:

The Bills kept bringing in DT's through out training camp.  Quinton Jefferson is more of a DE than run stopping DT.  Harrison Phillips coming off an injury and Vernon Butler will have to handle the bulk of the load up the middle.  Can they stop runs up the gut of the defense??

Despite his aversion to tackling last year Levi Wallace seems to be the best pairing with Tre White right now at CB.  Josh Norman is a big question mark with his ongoing injuries.  Taron Johnson and Neal scare me back there as fill-in starters.

Any Comments?

Comments?  I didn't know Wallace had an aversion to tackling.  Which ongoing 'injuries' are you referring to for Norman. Didn't he return to practice. Fill-in starters also known as backups, that's how teams fill their rosters.  Seems like you have your mind made up already.

Speaking of light........Get ready for Cheaterville to go heavy and pound the rock this year. I can’t remember being more discouraged than having the greatness who was Legarrette Blount pound the ball down our throats. PLEASE don’t let that happen again! There is nothing more discouraging in football than not being able to stop the run! 

32 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Comments?  I didn't know Wallace had an aversion to tackling.  Which ongoing 'injuries' are you referring to for Norman. Didn't he return to practice. Fill-in starters also known as backups, that's how teams fill their rosters.  Seems like you have your mind made up already.

Wallace bounced off more people than he tackled. 

6 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Wallace bounced off more people than he tackled. 

i'm gonna guess you're wrong on that. But your point of not liking Wallace is taken.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Waaaaait  a minute......by what standard are you basing Oliver having a disappointing rookie year?

????

Yeah, he really started to dominate in the 2nd half. He's gonna be a star.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

What if they live up to the coaches expectations, but fall short of yours?

What team wouldn't love to add a couple above average CB's or even a lockdown?

And I thought Hughes was getting younger.

Sorry to go negative, but maybe you caught me in a mood, but some really silly comments.