Are the Bills 'light' at DT and CB's ??

LB48

The Bills kept bringing in DT's through out training camp.  Quinton Jefferson is more of a DE than run stopping DT.  Harrison Phillips coming off an injury and Vernon Butler will have to handle the bulk of the load up the middle.  Can they stop runs up the gut of the defense??

Despite his aversion to tackling last year Levi Wallace seems to be the best pairing with Tre White right now at CB.  Josh Norman is a big question mark with his ongoing injuries.  Taron Johnson and Neal scare me back there as fill-in starters.

Any Comments?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m a little uneasy about our current CB situation.  Wish we would’ve kept Cam or Dane. Maybe we pick up someone’s scraps this week.  

I was also hoping we’d keep a Vincent Taylor.  He’s not a world beater but I think he can find his niche in a deep DL rotation.  Really hoping we can add him to the PS.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Epenesa will see more snaps at DT than SE this year.  

At 6'5" 272 lbs. I don't see him as a force stopping runs up the middle.  More of a Jeff Wright guy!

25 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Is their reason to think Harrison Phillips was struggling in camp coming back from his injury ? Didn’t hear much talk about that..

Other than returning from the injury his NFL experience is very limited!

6 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Other than returning from the injury his NFL experience is very limited!

Yeah... that’s true but I’m  quietly confident about him actually... liked how he was going before the injury last year...

I think the D line will be ok... I agree that the CB’s look thin but no doubt they will have a couple who got cut today on the Practice Squad and McD knows his corners..

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Epenesa will see more snaps at DT than SE this year.  

I doubt this.  He’d be playing 3 tech and we already have 2 of the best pass rushing 3 techs in the league.  Oliver backed up by Jefferson.  I agree that he’ll be getting some snaps there because McD loves to switch things up, but I think he plays the more snaps at DE

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I doubt this.  He’d be playing 3 tech and we already have 2 of the best pass rushing 3 techs in the league.  Oliver backed up by Jefferson.  I agree that he’ll be getting some snaps there because McD loves to switch things up, but I think he plays the more snaps at DE

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I'm still scared about our muscle up the middle!

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m a little uneasy about our current CB situation.  Wish we would’ve kept Cam or Dane. Maybe we pick up someone’s scraps this week.  

I was also hoping we’d keep a Vincent Taylor.  He’s not a world beater but I think he can find his niche in a deep DL rotation.  Really hoping we can add him to the PS.

I agree on Vincent Taylor also the need to drop one of the OL

5 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I agree on Vincent Taylor also the need to drop one of the OL

If he'll sign for $192,000 per year on the Practice Squad against his current $700,000 salary it would be surprising!

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think the defensive line is vastly superior to last year in every way, including stopping the run.

How can you say that without any pre-season games against real opponents?  We've read about our DL replacements in free-agency but never seen them perform!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LB48 said:

How can you say that without any pre-season games against real opponents?  We've read about our DL replacements in free-agency but never seen them perform!

Because they all played for other teams in previous years, besides the rookie.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Because they all played for other teams in previous years, besides the rookie.

And - Harrison Phillips coming off an injury has played a total of 19 NFL games and most in a back-up role.  Now he's the starter??

4 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Until waivers clear it's hard to judge, we've only done the release part, and there is some notable talent available to sign

I agree.  There may be a DT that we can utilize!

I can see Vincent Taylor being back up with the Bills by October. I think that will solve the DT issue.

Logan Ryan or Demarious Randall would be an upgrade in the CB front and releasing Boettger would allow still for 9 OLinemen. That corrects the DB depth issue.

I see Darryl Johnson, Lee Smith, and any interior OL lineman besides Morse or Spain being replaced by Vince Taylor, Tommy Sweeney, and Feliciano. This helps solve the overall depth issues.

4 minutes ago, Wizard said:

I can see Vincent Taylor being back up with the Bills by October. I think that will solve the DT issue.

Logan Ryan or Demarious Randall would be an upgrade in the CB front and releasing Boettger would allow still for 9 OLinemen. That corrects the DB depth issue.

I see Darryl Johnson, Lee Smith, and any interior OL lineman besides Morse or Spain being replaced by Vince Taylor, Tommy Sweeney, and Feliciano. This helps solve the overall depth issues.

Yes - we definitely need an upgrade at CB depth.  Wallace makes me very nervous!