Our newest LB Del'Shawn Phillips

He is a 6' 2" 230 lbs 2019 UDFA from the University of Illinois

He is probably the closest comparison to Lorenzo Alexander. Ran a 4.5 on hi s pro day (here is an interview with him)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/pro-day-illini-lb-delshawn-phillips/

He has a nose for the ball (like Milano) - had 4 interceptions for the Illini and recovered 2 fumbles in 5 Atlanta preseason games in 2019. Bills signed him when Atlanta cut him and he has hung around and repaid the BIlls faith by putting in the work and making the 53. Real feel good story of the Bills 2020 TC.

His Illini page

https://fightingillini.com/sports/football/roster/del-shawn-phillips/8001

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I feel so inadequate not knowing Jack about him. I’ve actually been panicking a bit as we’re one injury from Doom at OLB. 

you are not alone there my friend - surprised he kinda flew under the radar all this while. among the very very few NFL players on an active roster without a wikipedia page (maybe the only one)

He did make the Illini All-Decade team as a backup

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/2019/12/23/21034643/illinois-fighting-illini-football-all-decade-defense-special-teams-ncaa-big-ten-whitney-mercilus

some good names there (and some with Bills connection too - Mclaughlin, Liuget, Spence)

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I feel so inadequate not knowing Jack about him. I’ve actually been panicking a bit as we’re one injury from Doom at OLB. 

I blame the pandemic and all it entails.

I freely admit I have gained a little appreciation for preseason games. (Just a little.)  They are going to actually play a game next week, and I don’t really know what to expect. So strange! It never just comes out of the blue like this! 

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

I freely admit I have gained a little appreciation for preseason games. (Just a little.)  They are going to actually play a game next week, and I don’t really know what to expect. So strange! It never just comes out of the blue like this! 

Peterman cured me of ever taking anything I see in a preseason game too seriously.. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I blame the pandemic and all it entails.

+1. Don't know squat about him and haven't heard a peep about him until now.  But McD knows D.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

For them to cut a guy they already know is a fine backup WLB in Thompson, they must see actual upside in this kid

Thompson was severely undersized even for Sean McDermott's defense.  I think that may have been leading to durability issues.  Phillips is 10 lbs heavier and every bit as athletic.  If he's able to grasp the defense as well and he's a process guy, the size may be worth the experience the Bills are losing by cutting Thompson.  At least that may be what the Bills are thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Yes but have the Bills ever lost a Super Bowl when they went undefeated AND winless in a preseason?