Joe B on how new rules for this season may impact roster moves

Athletic, may involve paywall, trial may be available

https://theathletic.com/2043558/2020/09/04/buscaglia-projecting-the-bills-final-53-man-roster-before-cutdown-day/

This season also provides NFL teams with roster-building loopholes in the form of three new rules. The first advantage is with the enlarged practice squad: Teams may keep 16 players there this season, and up to six of them can be players with unlimited experience.

The first rule pairs with the second new rule, allowing any member of the practice squad to be called up twice in a season without being subjected to waivers.
The third new rule.....pertains to Injured Reserve laws. ..... teams can bring back an unlimited number of players from Injured Reserve this season. Even more important, players can return from IR after only three weeks, regardless of whether they were sidelined due to COVID-19 or .. injury.

Also Joe's roster prediction.  Thought about putting it in one of the cutdown threads but seemed worth putting out there - someone pointed out the third rule to me in another thread, which I appreciated, and I think most of us know the 16 player PS, but I didn't know "6 can be players with unlimited experience" or that "PS member can be called up 2x season without waivers"

Geez, the unlimited call backs from IR could be something.  If you've got the cap room, I could see a lot of players stashed in this fashion.  Other than the "kosher" issue (ie doing the player right), if you've got the cap space, why cut anyone?

1 minute ago, eSJayDee said:

Geez, the unlimited call backs from IR could be something.  If you've got the cap room, I could see a lot of players stashed in this fashion.  Other than the "kosher" issue (ie doing the player right), if you've got the cap space, why cut anyone?

It does seem like the sort of thing designed for Belicheat to abuse and manipulate

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Because it only applies after 4pm today, so after cuts. If you IR'd someone before that they are done for the year. 

And Sal Cappacio's

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-53-man-roster-projection?utm_campaign=sharebutton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=WGRAM

He predicts Fromm AND Webb released.  Huh.  Also Hodgins.

But he's already off in predicting Andre Smith to make the roster at LB so....

Just now, JohnNord said:

Which is why you’ll likely see Jon Feliciano make the initial 53, only to go on IR the next day.  So you may a lineman like Ike Boettger released today only to be signed tomorrow 

Ike would still be subject to waivers though. Just worth saying. More likely they keep an extra lineman and cut someone not subject to waivers to sign back quickly.