Deshaun Watson Extension $160M over 4 new years

16-0

What I like about this contract is what it does to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.  It resets the non-Mahomes market and the expectations that Dak will have for a long term contract.  It will cost them much more than the $31 M that they offered.  Did I mention that I really dislike the Cowboys?

Fortunately for the Bills, Allen's rookie contract will get them past the reduced cap in 2021.  Beane's formula for drafting well and using lower cost free agents will allow the team to pay the 4 or 5 higher priced guys on the team.  Unless Allen completely flops, we should all get our head around a QB getting $40 M/yr.  I'm actually surprised that the last collective bargaining agreement didn't set a percentage of the cap ceiling for starting QB's.  A $40 M/yr contract must cause some hard feelings throughout a roster.

42 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah Deandre Hopkins and JJ Watt are average.

That is a confusing take. Because there's two other talented players who perform at a high level on the team...that suddenly makes them a strong team? Ok, Let's put...Josh Rosen on the Texans and watch the results. 

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That is a confusing take. Because there's two other talented players who perform at a high level on the team...that suddenly makes them a strong team? Ok, Let's put...Josh Rosen on the Texans and watch the results. 

You said Watson was covering up an otherwise weak team. I pointed to two generational talents who are also on the Texans as examples of why they might not be as weak as you claim. Then out of nowhere you say let's put Josh Rosen on the Texans and call my take confusing.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Yet I don't see that team winning a playoff game as currently configured and coached over the course of his new extension.

They could win a playoff game. They are not winning a Championship, I agree. But if they miss the playoffs this time it is a great job for a new regime to walk into. Only commitments are to your young franchise QB and your franchise LT (though they did overpay for Tunsil he is good). The rest of your cap is pretty much yours to do as you please. You don't have to waste a year getting rid of dead wood contracts. You have a pretty clean slate. 

The right GM-HC combo walking into Houston next year would have fantastic chance of turning it around quickly.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They could win a playoff game. They are not winning a Championship, I agree. But if they miss the playoffs this time it is a great job for a new regime to walk into. Only commitments are to your young franchise QB and your franchise LT (though they did overpay for Tunsil he is good). The rest of your cap is pretty much yours to do as you please. You don't have to waste a year getting rid of dead wood contracts. You have a pretty clean slate. 

The right GM-HC combo walking into Houston next year would have fantastic chance of turning it around quickly.

It's a mediocre Offense/Defense, as is.    Maybe another coach could get more out off them, but they aren't a SB contender--and wouldn't be.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's a mediocre Offense/Defense, as is.    Maybe another coach could get more out off them, but they aren't a SB contender--and wouldn't be.

That wasn't really what I said. What I said was if they got a competent regime in after this season there is a very good opportunity for a quick rebuild.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That wasn't really what I said. What I said was if they got a competent regime in after this season there is a very good opportunity for a quick rebuild.  

Every new regime assumes competence I guess.  You have to lock up your young franchise QB, just not sure how far he will take whatever the next iteration of the team may be (BO would have to be fired in the nest year or tow, then a rebuild...their won't be much left on that contract).

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every new regime assumes competence I guess.  You have to lock up your young franchise QB, just not sure how far he will take whatever the next iteration of the team may be (BO would have to be fired in the nest year or tow, then a rebuild...their won't be much left on that contract).

My scenario was specific to them firing Billy O after THIS season. Cos if they do it is pretty close to a blank slate. Not assuming a competent regime. Just saying if it is a competent regime it is a good situation.

• Like (+1) 1

The difference is Mahomes contract is basically 12 years with how it exists and will end up being maybe. The 12th or 13th highest in about 5 years if you read the contract and how much he really makes year to year.  Watson from what I read is going to make a lot more and good for him, as I don’t wish I’ll on anyone.  He’s a very very good QB.  This deal should most likely seal OBriens contract.  Not that I care but he won’t survive it.  Hopkins was just the beginning, just like Philly is screwed.

Any AFC team going down in my eyes is great for us so who cares.

4 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

JJ Watt says hello....

JJ is a first ballot HOFer. He is also 31 and has played more than 8 games once in 4 years. There was a period when he was the best thing about Houston but he is on the downside now. He still has something left but this is Watson's team now.