Miami Confirms that Rosen might be traded Update: signed w/ Tampa Bay

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rosen was my guy coming out. He may not be the franchise QB that I expected but he has had as bad of a situation as any QB in the league. I’d take Rosen over Fromm 8 days a week. I’d be all for adding Rosen to this stable Bills environment. You may end up with a trade partner in a year or so.

you have to wonder if he’s just fried at this point.

he might’ve had the worst situation of a generation of first rounders and once you break the confidence and developmental cycle it’s hard to get them squared back up. 

I wouldn’t mind it but despite thinking he was a good prospect I wouldn’t expect much 

30 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I don't think he's getting another shot.  He's about to get Ryan Leafed out of football.  I'd feel bad for him but $17.5 Mill aint a bad consolation prize

I could be forced into retirement for $17.5 million...

Could be the wake up call that he has really never heard before...

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I guess they meant the CFL, not the NFL. 😁

Pro ready doesn't mean good in the pros

If you remember Nathan Peterman was regarded as the most pro ready quarterback in his draft by lots

It means ability to pick up a playbook, Read a defense, get people in the right spot etc

It actually has nothing to do with football talent

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Pro ready doesn't mean good in the pros

If you remember Nathan Peterman was regarded as the most pro ready quarterback in his draft by lots

It means ability to pick up a playbook, Read a defense, get people in the right spot etc

It actually has nothing to do with football talent

Peterman's folly appears to be that his brain writes a check that his arm can't cash in the League

From what Flores was quoted saying, reading the D, getting people into the right spot, and knowing where to throw the ball given the D (all exactly those pro ready things you cite) were the very things Rosen struggled with last year and still this year in TC under Chan (who I think runs a simpler, more rookie-friendly E-P)

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Peterman's folly appears to be that his brain writes a check that his arm can't cash in the League

From what Flores was quoted saying, reading the D, getting people into the right spot, and knowing where to throw the ball given the D (all exactly those pro ready things you cite) were the very things Rosen struggled with last year and still this year in TC under Chan (who I think runs a simpler, more rookie-friendly E-P)

Some people just don't have the heart. And nobody will ever be able to measure that

If Rosen is struggling getting players into the right spot, reading a defense pre-snap or learning A playbook he's done

If you show those three things and show up every day early and bust your ass, you will stick longer in the league than you realize

Because a lot of players actually struggle with those three things. Look at a guy like Chase Daniels, epitome of a professional backup quarterback

He could do all those things with his eyes closed and he's got over a decade in the league, with like only a handful of starts

Rosen was supposed to be a pretty smart quarterback so if he can't do that he's toast

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Some people just don't have the heart. And nobody will ever be able to measure that

If Rosen is struggling getting players into the right spot, reading a defense pre-snap or learning A playbook he's done

If you show those three things and show up every day early and bust your ass, you will stick longer in the league than you realize

Because a lot of players actually struggle with those three things. Look at a guy like Chase Daniels, epitome of a professional backup quarterback

He could do all those things with his eyes closed and he's got over a decade in the league, with like only a handful of starts

Rosen was supposed to be a pretty smart quarterback so if he can't do that he's toast

To be fair, in February he received his 4th playbook in less than 2 calendar years

1st year AZ

kliff

welcome to miami

chan

hell of a “welcome to the pros”

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, in February he received his 4th playbook in less than 2 calendar years

1st year AZ

kliff

welcome to miami

chan

And that 1st year in Arizona they changed coordinators early too. McCoy to Leftwich. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

that’s right! 

So 4 full playbooks and 5 OCs inside of 22ish months 

He has not been good but he has been in two awful situations behind dreadful olines and with unstable coaching. If he still wants to he can still have a career. But there were questions about his heart from the start and if anything is likely to make a guy give up this situation is. 

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

1st year AZ

kliff

welcome to miami

chan

Very true, one can point to all the excuses you want but let's be real.  Quarterback is the most difficult and coveted position in the league.  You look at guys like Peterman, Cardale Jones, EJ being able to stick around.  AZ turned around and drafted another QB to dump Rosen instead of trading down for a wealth of draft picks. 

Here's Flores' quote "Miami head coach Brian Flores called Rosen "immensely talented" and praised his work ethic, but noted that not every trade or draft pick pans out as expected."

My translation:. Rosen can't handle the mental component of NFL QB.  By a lot. 

I respect Flores as a coach and I find it difficult to believe Rosen gets dumped twice if either franchise felt there was anything worth developing in him.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/miami-dolphins-release-quarterback-josh-rosen/story?id=72835678

"For Rosen, the question has not been talent. Flores said Rosen had the best arm of all the quarterbacks in camp, but Rosen fell behind when it came to the processing part of football -- identifying defenses pre-snap, being able to predict changing coverages and linebackers shifting, and ultimately being able to let the ball fly accurately and on time. Those are all skills Rosen has spent time working on this offseason in Miami."

So there you have it.  Per Flores, Rosen has a better arm than Fitz or Tua but "fell behind when it came to the processing part of football"

I grant you it doesn't help that the guy is on his 4th OC and 3rd head coach in his 3 years.  But he also, from what I can tell, has never shown any of that "spin your head around like Linda Blair in the exorcist" "WTF?" "how did he do that?" stuff that Josh Allen manages on a regular basis and gain him some extra slack.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So 4 full playbooks and 5 OCs inside of 22ish months 

And not exactly a Murderes' Row of O-line help any place he played.   

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

32. MIAMI DOLPHINS
There wasn’t much debate about the worst offensive line in the league last year, as Miami ranked last in both pass and run blocking — only one of the seven linemen with at least 330 snaps graded above 60.0.

We could see as many as four new starters this season, though question marks still swarm.

To me, that will be the secret sause that get's Allen over the hump in Buffalo.  A young QB needs to be protected by a competent O-line while they learn how to play at this level.  Having a better WR group certainly doesn't hurt either...0:)

Edited by Lurker

We most likely will never know if Rosen can be a quality NFL QB.  Many very good players who ended up in the right situation may have not been as good elsewhere - look at Jerry Hughes.  Would Mahomes been as good as he is if he did land with the Bills?  He has an excellent offensive minded coach and a very good supporting cast, probably what helped him get to where he is so fast.

As for Rosen, kinda feels like Losman to me.  Has the physical attributes to be a quality NFL QB, but not the smarts to put it all together.

• Like (+1) 1