Bills vs Jets what’s the game plan

Antonio

i think we're going to have a wild opening weekend with basically zero film to watch and players not used to actual live snaps vs opponents.

There are bound be a lot of miscues and growing pains as players and coaches adjust throughout their first game.   My only worry with the Jets is we have a few bonehead plays or turnovers due to the rust and they don't.   It might level the playing field, and i'm predicting some bizarre upsets across the league for this reason.

We're returning our coaching staff and a lot of players, but by my count we will have 10 new faces (not even counting special teams) wearing Bills helmets out there.  Our interior Dlinemen will have some communication issues, there are just too many new dudes in the rotation, including a rookie.  They will crack off a few runs against us.

The playbook for a new Oline like the Jets is to run block as much as possible, it's easier for the new guys than pass protection, especially vs Hughes Addison who will surely feast next Sunday.  If Darnold can't drop back and have enough time to sling it, the Jets are gonna face 8 man fronts and be punting a lot.  I'm predicting a big roberts punt return 

I think we win of course but my biggest worry about this game is the impact of no crowd noise on the Jets offense. The NFL will be playing a tape of artificial noise in the 75-85 decibel range. Thats a big difference from where we've been recorded before, at around 125 dbs. Its gonna be a lot easier for Darnold & the Jets to communicate out there than in years past. And had this been a normal week 1 game vs the Jets, i'd expect Darnold & their Oline to crack & make a bunch of mistakes.

I still think they make mistakes though & we win this one by at least 10 points.

35 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I think we win of course but my biggest worry about this game is the impact of no crowd noise on the Jets offense. The NFL will be playing a tape of artificial noise in the 75-85 decibel range. Thats a big difference from where we've been recorded before, at around 125 dbs. Its gonna be a lot easier for Darnold & the Jets to communicate out there than in years past. And had this been a normal week 1 game vs the Jets, i'd expect Darnold & their Oline to crack & make a bunch of mistakes.

I still think they make mistakes though & we win this one by at least 10 points.

They substitute the train horn with the Ghostbusters Theme Song!

5 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Until the owner of this website fixes the front page, I dont even have a clue who we play and when. 

It really is a shame that Two Bills Drive is the only website on the whole internet where you can get the Bills’ schedule.

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Do the Bills put Daboll in the booth or on the sidelines?  🤔

Daboll = Upstairs!

I noticed last season that JA was more composed on the sideline when Daboll wasn't there in his face. I really wonder if JA and Daboll truly get along, or if their positive relationship is facade.

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

In the booth this year.  Josh get's the training wheels taken off and the Bills open up the offense.

I would love to see the Bills in a 4 WR set a few times during the first series getting the ball to Beasley and Davis!

No prisoners.

Josh's first 300 yard game, book it.

• Like (+1) 1

Great thread @Antonio! I've been looking for more Bills vs Jets strategy discussion on here given we're nearly a week away from the season! 

Offense: As others have said, I think running our preferred '11' offense or even 4 WR sets would work to our advantage. I think the Jets defense (even without Mosley and Adams) is stout up the middle and generally good vs the run so we want to space them out as much as possible and lighten the box/force them into their nickel defense. Running hurry up/no huddle as others have also suggested might limit the effect of BountyGate Gregg's complex blitzes as well.

As far as play-calling goes, a pass-heavy game plan with 10+ targets to Diggs in particular seems like the best option. The Jets pass-rush should suffer after losing their Rover (Adams) and I don't believe the secondary has the weapons to match up with Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Knox. To be fair, Ashtyn Davis and Marcus Maye (if healthy) seem to have had very strong camps (McDougal has had more mixed reviews from what I gather), but there should be some soft zones to target and Allen should have some time to sit in the pocket. 

Defense: I think the key is limiting Crowder first and then Herndon as well. Crowder moved the chains on us frequently last season and I'd want to force Darnold and a different WR to beat us. Our defensive line by committee approach should have the edge on the newly-formed Jets O-line and we'll start to fatigue and dominate them in the 4th quarter. Having spent some time on the Jets Nation forum in recent weeks, it does sound like the Jets are using Bell more at WR so might be something to watch out for but generally I'm not worried about Bell or their run game. I do think Darnold gets into a good rhythm when he has time to throw and can be very accurate in the short-intermediate game, we just have to force him into making mistakes and take away the football. Jets are getting healthier, will be interested to see how many snaps Mims gets and whether he'll be able to make an impact. 

Week 1 in 2020 after the weirdest off-season ever...I think both teams will look a bit rusty and the turnover battle could be even more significant than usual. However, I think the Bills have the better coaching and the better roster. 24-13 Bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

As a follow-up, it sounds like Blake Cashman and Neville Hewitt are going to be the Jets starting LBs over Avery Williamson which is surprising to me. I haven't seen them in this year's camp, but based on their play last season, we should be able to run and pass on these two.

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/153673-hughes-cashman-and-hewitt-expected-to-start-at-ilb-over-williamson/

Also, an interesting thread about Quinnen Williams' disappointing camp performance for your amusement:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/153671-connor-hughes-quinnen-williams-finished-training-camp-with-1-sack-2-tfls/ 

Edited by Dont Stop Billeiving
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't agree that McD likes to "sit on a lead."  In three seasons as HC he's never had an offense capable of keeping its foot on the gas pedal.  We'll see how "conservative" he is if the offense is firing on all cylinders.  If he proves me wrong, so be it.

• Like (+1) 3

Everyone is sleeping on the Jets offense. For good reason on paper. But something tells our D plays down to their level. Bills still win but it might be something like 31-20 giving up more points to the Jets offense then we would like. I'm curious what kind of factor no crowd will have on the defensive units and their energy and the offenses ability to focus better week one.