Why is Joe Namath in the HOF?

Alphadawg7

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this is repeated.  Namath had knee problems and what would be   a  partial or entire season ending injury  would be a career ender(Example Gayle Sayers). Also he ended his career in LA, which was not a good team.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:59 PM, KD in CA said:

This is the complete answer to the OP's question.

Not only can't you tell the story of the NFL without Namath, he's one of the first five players you have to mention on the list.   

Do people think they'll still be talking about Mahomes in in the year 2070?  I doubt it.

Yes it is hard to tell boozing stories on players who do not over drink but Broadway Joe's drinking stories will last forever.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:21 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously, every time I see him doing a commercial I just look at him and ask why?  

In his entire career, he only had 2 seasons where he had more TDs than INTs (and barely had more in those 2 seasons).  I mean he literally made the HOF over one game prediction and wearing fur coats.  It’s a travesty he’s in the HOF while so many other players with substantially better careers are not.  

I mean he finished his career with 173 TDs to 220 INTs and a dismal 65 QB Rating.  

Because he did pantyhose commercials.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:21 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously, every time I see him doing a commercial I just look at him and ask why?  

In his entire career, he only had 2 seasons where he had more TDs than INTs (and barely had more in those 2 seasons).  I mean he literally made the HOF over one game prediction and wearing fur coats.  It’s a travesty he’s in the HOF while so many other players with substantially better careers are not.  

I mean he finished his career with 173 TDs to 220 INTs and a dismal 65 QB Rating.  

I think you are looking at stats incorrectly. Look at his adjusted passing stats, which measures like to like. 100 = league average, and in his first 10 seasons he was above average 9 times. The one time he wasn’t he was injured. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

18 hours ago, Turk71 said:

62 to be exact. 62-63-4 career record, the worst of any HOF qb by a huge margin. His career passer rating of 65 is impressive though.

Joe Flacco has had a much better career and he won a SB too, is he heading for the Hall? 

Again, you guys are looking at stats incorrectly. Look at other qb stats from that era and you will see what I mean. A rating of 80 often led the league in those days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Pro Football Hall of Fame honors “contributors” as well as players and coaches. You may feel that Joe Namath doesn’t belong in it strictly based on his achievements as a QB, but then you’re ignoring an entire separate category of criteria. The AFL was arguably the most important development in pro football history, and Namath was arguably the most important individual in that development.

You can make a fair case against Namath based on QB accomplishments, as long as you’re doing so by comparing him with his contemporaries. This is especially important when comparing passer ratings and career production well into one’s 30’s. Namath wasn’t quite as accomplished as Len Dawson and only marginally more so than Kemp, but he still managed to rank 10th in career passing yards and 14th in career TD’s at the time of his retirement in 1977.

I would love to hear more on this subject plus all things AFL from those who followed the league in real-time. A separate thread for “AFL Stories” would also be lovely. How do the mid-60’s Bills match up with other historical pro football dynasties? Would they sneak into your top-25 all-time? And was anyone here alive to have watched the AAFC Bills?? Just thought I’d ask. Or the original All-Americans? If so, please include your diet (vegan?) and exercise regimen (hot yoga?) in your post.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame honors “contributors” as well as players and coaches. You may feel that Joe Namath doesn’t belong in it strictly based on his achievements as a QB, but then you’re ignoring an entire separate category of criteria. The AFL was arguably the most important development in pro football history, and Namath was arguably the most important individual in that development.

You can make a fair case against Namath based on QB accomplishments, as long as you’re doing so by comparing him with his contemporaries. This is especially important when comparing passer ratings and career production well into one’s 30’s. Namath wasn’t quite as accomplished as Len Dawson and only marginally more so than Kemp, but he still managed to rank 10th in career passing yards and 14th in career TD’s at the time of his retirement in 1977.

I would love to hear more on this subject plus all things AFL from those who followed the league in real-time. A separate thread for “AFL Stories” would also be lovely. How do the mid-60’s Bills match up with other historical pro football dynasties? Would they sneak into your top-25 all-time? And was anyone here alive to have watched the AAFC Bills?? Just thought I’d ask. Or the original All-Americans? If so, please include your diet (vegan?) and exercise regimen (hot yoga?) in your post.

I was 9 years old for the ‘64 Bills.  The defense of the two AFL teams was just dominant.  I wish the Super Bowl had been moved up a year or two; we’d have given the Pack fits.  And especially in ‘64 with Cookie and Carleton I think the offense could have ground down any NFL defense.

As for Namath I commented above, but his contract precipitated the merger and the Jets SB III victory validated it.  Those  and his 4000 yard season cement his HOF status

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

You can't tell it without Michael Vick either.  Just saying.

The crimes that Michael Vick committed, which is what you are referring to no doubt, had nothing to do with the NFL, or football. He had a pretty good career, all things considered, like a lot of other guys. But that doesn't put him in the HOF. Perhaps, if he'd won a Super Bowl he would have a legit shot. I would say you coudl definitely tell the story of the NFL, without ever mentioning VIck.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buftex said:

The crimes that Michael Vick committed, which is what you are referring to no doubt, had nothing to do with the NFL, or football. He had a pretty good career, all things considered, like a lot of other guys. But that doesn't put him in the HOF. Perhaps, if he'd won a Super Bowl he would have a legit shot. I would say you coudl definitely tell the story of the NFL, without ever mentioning VIck.

How short our memories are.  Highlights from his 2002 season will live on forever.  The first QB to give the Packers a loss at Lambeau in the postseason...the troubles, jail time, then returning to the league and redeeming himself.  

He helped influence and pave the way for dual threat QBs for generations to come.

You absolutely cannot tell the story of the NFL without Michael Vick.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Sad 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Alpha, have you taken the time to watch A Football Life: Joe Namath yet.  It may shed a different light on your judgement.

There is also a good youtube video called "Joe Namath Biography 1" you can watch that has more of the personal side.

It's mandatory watching for any younger fan of football to get an idea of what things were like when some of us were kids.

Joe Namath changed football to the sport we know today.  He was not the only one BUT he was huge.

Even my old man who hated Namath (hippy piss pot was his term) was happy when the Jets beat the Colts.

He was one tough SOB and if the medical procedures of today were available to him back then he would of been one of the all time greatest QBs.

Bear Bryant and Vince Lombardy both said that "Joe Willie" was the best pure thrower of the football they ever seen!

• Like (+1) 1