Why is Joe Namath in the HOF?

Alphadawg7

We must really be jonesing for football If we are on page 5 of a thread about a guy who hasn’t played ball since 1979.  Alright I’ll play along while getting ready for the gym.  The Jets win did start a change in the view of the AFL as a legit part of the NFL.  The next year the Chiefs won, then the Colts, Dolphins, Dolphins, Steelers , Steelers, Raiders and Steelers.  I skipped two years of NFC winners just to make the point the AFC was the dominant conference in the 1970’s, so all of a sudden they were legitimate.  Namath started that run out.

To this day NFC people still try and say they are the dominant conference even though the AFC has won 27 SB’s, and the NFC has won 27.  I really don’t care if Namath was placed in the HOF.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, MJS said:

People bring it up that it was a different era and there are other QB's in the HofF who also have thrown more picks than TD's.

But what they fail to mention is that Namath also lost more games than he won.

No, that's not Namath. That's the New York Jets that lost those games.

And for a lot of the years Namath was there he was a very good QB on a genuinely bad team. I went to see Namath twice at the Rockpile, he was on an OK team and a bad team and you still thought the Jets had a chance because they had Namath and with him anything could happen.

Namath inspired fear. Particularly before the knee injury. But even after it was inspiring watching him do the best he could while all but limping. Four AFL All-star games and one AFC-NFC Pro Bowl in his first eight years and one All-Pro.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have to disagree that just being part of the NFL's story makes you HOF worthy.  And while its called the Hall of Fame, we all know that the basis of the HOF is to enshrine its best.  Not its most flamboyant, flashy, or famous.  Otherwise guys like Jim McMahon would be in there too.  

I don't disagree that Namath has a place in the story of the history of the NFL, but so do a lot of people also not in the HOF.  I mean, he has a case to be the worst player of any sport enshrined into its HOF.  

Namath was not a good QB, thats just the facts.  And no one would care at all about him had he not made that prediction, just like no one cares about many underdog teams QB's who won the SB.  Without the prediction, he's just a flashy but bad QB from NY who hit lightning in a bottle one time...for one game.   

If you didn't see him play, live when the bullets are flying, you won't understand Joe Namath or his inclusion in the HOF. Sorry, he belongs as he had a huge impact on the game in his day.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

We're talking more about Namath than we are Brady and he's still playing.

So you think one thread I started equates to namath being talked about more than Brady.  No offense, but literally dumbest comment in this thread.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So you think one thread I started equates to namath being talked about more than Brady.  No offense, but literally dumbest comment in this thread.

I don't know. I've read a bunch of comments in this thread where people are complaining that the Hall of Fame has..famous players in it. 

Edited by jeremy2020

50 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Because he won a lot of games.

62 to be exact. 62-63-4 career record, the worst of any HOF qb by a huge margin. His career passer rating of 65 is impressive though.

Joe Flacco has had a much better career and he won a SB too, is he heading for the Hall? 

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

62 to be exact. 62-63-4 career record, the worst of any HOF qb by a huge margin. His career passer rating of 65 is impressive though.

Joe Flacco has had a much better career and he won a SB too, is he heading for the Hall? 

Joe Montana threw for 4000 yards in 14 games

I'm pretty sure it took well over a decade for fouts to beat that in 16

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Flacco has not had a better career when you consider the times and you think on broader terms.   Not even close.  

A healthy Namath meant a great passing game in a time when running was the to go.  Namath was the best player coming out of college and he chose the AFL,   A few years later he wins a Super Bowl when everyone else thought the Jets did not have a chance.  His legend is he predicted the win.  He was a big part of  the “pop culture” of the times.  

Yes, Joe  Willie belongs in the HOF.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/4/2020 at 10:41 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I have to disagree that just being part of the NFL's story makes you HOF worthy.  And while its called the Hall of Fame, we all know that the basis of the HOF is to enshrine its best.  Not its most flamboyant, flashy, or famous.  Otherwise guys like Jim McMahon would be in there too.  

I don't disagree that Namath has a place in the story of the history of the NFL, but so do a lot of people also not in the HOF.  I mean, he has a case to be the worst player of any sport enshrined into its HOF.  

Namath was not a good QB, thats just the facts.  And no one would care at all about him had he not made that prediction, just like no one cares about many underdog teams QB's who won the SB.  Without the prediction, he's just a flashy but bad QB from NY who hit lightning in a bottle one time...for one game.   

I disagaree on the McMahon point.  He was the QB for a great team, but he was hardly the reason they won a Super Bowl.  

I think you are underplaying the significance of the Super Bowl he won. It wasn't just a case of an underdog winning a championship, the win put to rest the whole notion that the AFL was inferior to the NFL.  AFL teams had a real stigma before that. Players didn't want to play for AFL teams.  

I know you know this, but you simply can't compare QB play from Namaths' time, to modern QB's, especailly from this century.  Namath was a cultural icon, and played a big role in establishing he legitimacy of the AFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

LOL seriously OP?

I saw Namath play in person. He was beyond legit and had tools that were freakish....and that arm strength....
The man took a 1970’s NFL style beating without the benefit of the medical technology we take for granted today. Everyone went after his knees.  DE linemen allowed to kill a QB on every play.

Edited by George C
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, T master said:

It was his leggs commercial that put him over the top .

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Love me some Farrah! 

But the winner goes to ‘Men, watch Joe Namath get Creamed!’

One of the best A Football Life documentaries. Lengthy, but worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

the state of being known or talked about by many people, especially on account of notable achievements

Above is the definition of fame.  As one who watched him play, no doubt he met the definition.  He was THE football superstar of his era, and the Super Bowl victory legitimized the merger.  His signing out of college is the initiating event that caused the merger.  He stands with Marino as the best pure thrower of the football in history, and in an era when QBs called their own plays and when defenses had the advantage over passing games (what DBs could do back then would be laughed at today) the fact that he had a 4000 yard season is almost enough to put him in the Hall itself.   So he was known and talked about not just by many but by everyone associated with football in that era (and we still do around Super Bowl time) and he had accomplishments without which the history of the league is incomplete.

Plus women thought he looked good in panty hose.

• Like (+1) 4

On 9/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, Logic said:

When it comes to Hall of Fame inclusion, I’ve always subscribed to the criteria “can you tell the story of the NFL without including this player?”

In the case of Joe Namath, you cannot.

You can't tell it without Michael Vick either.  Just saying.