Bills cuts toward the 53 man roster -Saturday cuts begin Pg 15

YoloinOhio

54 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I could make the case for Webb, with this bizarre year we might keep 4 and put Fromm on the PS hope he doesnt get poached.  I have to wonder if Webb isnt as good as Barkely.

I think its more likely we keep 3 & put Webb on the PS. Theres probably a greater chance that Fromm gets scooped up on waivers, given his recent draft status than Webb, who has been in this league for years & has been nothing more than a PS guy... more or less.

One thing that could factor into Fromm on roster is he is guaranteed $900k so that is dead cap $. 

We could see some Kurt Coleman moves. Vets with 4 or more years in league automatically become free agents and can sign with the team of their choice. Under 4 years the player is subject to a waiver claim. 

I could see the Bills having a side deal with Barkley or maybe even Andre Roberts that they cut them. Then, they put Feliciano and DeMarco on IR so they can return at some point. That way they can keep Hodgins and McKenzie for the 5th and 6th WR spot, keep only 2 QBs so they can keep 9 on the OL, IR Feliciano and DeMarco and re-sign Roberts and Barkley. 

16 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

One thing that could factor into Fromm on roster is he is guaranteed $900k so that is dead cap $. 

We could see some Kurt Coleman moves. Vets with 4 or more years in league automatically become free agents and can sign with the team of their choice. Under 4 years the player is subject to a waiver claim. 

I could see the Bills having a side deal with Barkley or maybe even Andre Roberts that they cut them. Then, they put Feliciano and DeMarco on IR so they can return at some point. That way they can keep Hodgins and McKenzie for the 5th and 6th WR spot, keep only 2 QBs so they can keep 9 on the OL, IR Feliciano and DeMarco and re-sign Roberts and Barkley. 

Not sure they take the risk with Roberts, there is always demand for good returners a team could blow them out of the water with an offer. Agree it is possible with some of the other older guys.... maybe even Lee Smith they could try and cut, IR Feliciano then bring right back. 

36 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

I'd thought about that too, but not for those two specifically.

Not that I'm saying it should and doesn't get done, but I wonder how illegal that is within the NFL laws, these "side deals"??

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure they take the risk with Roberts, there is always demand for good returners a team could blow them out of the water with an offer. Agree it is possible with some of the other older guys.... maybe even Lee Smith they could try and cut, IR Feliciano then bring right back. 

Taiwan Jones, DiMarco, Barkley and Yeldon are all other vets that could (and someone very likely will) do that.

It's one of the biggest things I'm interested in seeing how "team" some of these guys are.

All of the above is a lot less in dead cap than Lee Smith.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Taiwan Jones, DiMarco, Barkley and Yeldon are all other vets that could (and someone very likely will) do that.

It's one of the biggest things I'm interested in seeing how "team" some of these guys are.

All of the above is a lot less in dead cap than Lee Smith.

DiMarco is injured so I think that gets dicey, would have to do injury settlement and then if they do that they cannot bring him back for at least 6 weeks. I mention in original post Barkley, I think Taiwan Jones and Yeldon are possible ones too. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

I think its more likely we keep 3 & put Webb on the PS. Theres probably a greater chance that Fromm gets scooped up on waivers, given his recent draft status than Webb, who has been in this league for years & has been nothing more than a PS guy... more or less.

Anyone claimed on waivers needs to be put on the active roster.  I think this is highly unlikely with Fromm, with no preseason body of work for teams to evaluate. Webb at least has experience, but I still think his pick up is also unlikely.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

Anyone claimed on waivers needs to be put on the active roster.  I think this is highly unlikely with Fromm, with no preseason body of work for teams to evaluate. Webb at least has experience, but I still think his pick up is also unlikely.  

Agreed .. which is  why I think it would be safe to stash them both on the Practice Squad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Agreed .. which is  why I think it would be safe to stash them both on the Practice Squad.

I think the Bills will play it safe with Webb. They like him, and teams will need three QBs this year.  I expect Webb to survive the cuts.  Fromm, may or may not make the practice squad.  All reports indicate he has not been very good, but then it is a tough year to evaluate.  They will probably try to keep him around.