Bills cuts toward the 53 man roster -Saturday cuts begin Pg 15

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Quote from 3 weeks ago....

Been saying it for months now..... Roberts could be a surprise cut.  But everyone thinks hes still the Roberts of 2016.

His longest punt return last year was 22 yards.  8 yard avg. What 32 years old?

Do you keep him and put Hodgins on the PS to possibly be scooped up? Then have to drop Roberts to place Hodgins on the 53, or who do you drop? Can McKenzie return punts?  McKenzie is solid on the fly sweeps and made some big plays periodically last year on the field.....

I still say:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis

McKenzie

Hodgins

But but Roberts is respected in the ST room.  8 yard avg last year, was 14 the year before.... IMO NFL teams are not scared of Roberts in 2020.

I think they are looking and building returners for a possible replacement.  90% of the time its a fair catch anyway.....

PRETTY SURE I NAILED THAT!

What makes you say that?

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Lol it is a tough crowd. I just don’t see the value other fans do keeping Roberts. 

His longest punt return last year was 22 yards. Avg under 8 yards a return. No TDs. Was like 6th in the AFC and 9th overall. Takes up a spot of the 46 you can dress. 

Some fans just see tremendous value. I don’t. Then they say I’m crazy... he actually gets cut and I still get the brunt. Some fans just feel like he has to be back there returning punts and kickoffs.

He was cut because of roster machinations.  He was cut because he’s a vested veteran who wouldn’t be exposed to the waiver wire.  It was a strategy not an indictment of his skills. McDermott feels Roberts has to be back there returning punts and kickoffs because he’s the guy he keeps putting back there. 🤷🏾‍♂️  

• Like (+1) 2

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive if this has already been stated, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets snap up Foster.  Their WR corps is in shambles and Foster could provide some intel on the Bills' offense as well.

• Like (+1) 2

Lol it is a tough crowd. I just don’t see the value other fans do keeping Roberts. 

His longest punt return last year was 22 yards. Avg under 8 yards a return. No TDs. Was like 6th in the AFC and 9th overall. Takes up a spot of the 46 you can dress. 

Some fans just see tremendous value. I don’t. Then they say I’m crazy... he actually gets cut and I still get the brunt. Some fans just feel like he has to be back there returning punts and kickoffs.

Last offseason i was singing the same tune as you. Til other posters changed my mind a bit, as its not all about big yards & return td's.

Having a guy back there that you can trust to be dependable & never cough up the rock is worth every penny & roster spot imo.

Especially when you factor in how close our games are. 1 costly turnover on ST's can be the difference between winning & losing.

• Like (+1) 6

Sal on WGR points out that teams kick away from Roberts, often out of bounds, giving the Bills better field position because teams DON'T want Roberts to return a kick. He thinks he's worth it. You may disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sal on WGR points out that teams kick away from Roberts, often out of bounds, giving the Bills better field position because teams DON'T want Roberts to return a kick. He thinks he's worth it. You may disagree.

Yeah, his asset is definitely as a Chris Watson punt catcher.  With about 3 out of 4 kickoffs resulting in a touchback, his value there is diminished. With the touchback now putting the ball at the 25 yard line,  returners shouldn’t even consider returning kicks from the end zone.   Still, even Roberts has made the ill-advised decision to bring it out, usually struggling to get past the 20.

• Like (+1) 2

Some of the roster discussion in this thread is interesting, but Is there some reason why a no-discussion thread can't also be pinned to simply list the cuts?  Not everybody has time to read the last 34 pages of a 49 page thread to get the info (even if a full list is buried in those 34 pages somewhere).

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead
math error
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Yeah, his asset is definitely as a Chris Watson punt catcher.  With about 3 out of 4 kickoffs resulting in a touchback, his value there is diminished. With the touchback now putting the ball at the 25 yard line,  returners shouldn’t even consider returning kicks from the end zone.   Still, even Roberts has made the ill-advised decision to bring it out, usually struggling to get past the 20.

Agree on this point.  i know coaches have said he is close to busting one but prefer he try when they have comfortable lead.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Some of the roster discussion in this thread is interesting, but Is there some reason why a no-discussion thread can't also be pinned to simply list the cuts?  Not everybody has time to read the last 34 pages of a 49 page thread to get the info (even if a full list is buried in those 34 pages somewhere).

It's a reasonable request.  In general, we have trouble keeping discussion out of "cuts only" threads but I'll look for the list upthread and lock a pinned post with it.  Edit: Done, as requested.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive if this has already been stated, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets snap up Foster.  Their WR corps is in shambles and Foster could provide some intel on the Bills' offense as well.

Valid point

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe Sweeney?

Sweeney is already on PUP - 6 weeks till he will return.

There is another shoe that will drop.  Maybe a trade or we see who makes it through waivers to decide who else to chance - maybe Fromm if Webb makes it through?  Maybe a RB?

7 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I could be wrong but I thought they activated Sweeney off the PUP list Wednesday or Thursday.

A. Did they take him off PUP and he's still on the team ?

B. Did they take him off Pup and are putting him back on ?

C. Has he been on PUP all along ?

D. Am I hallucinating ?

They changed their minds.

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts on the roster:

I'm a bit surprised a 10 offensive linemen.  I expect Feliciano will go on short term injured reserve.  That will bring it down to a more balanced roster number of 9.

If Feliciano goes on short term IR, that may be the roster spot that goes to Andre Roberts.   That will give Buffalo 7 WRs, which is also a big number.  I'm glad Buffalo found a way to keep both Hodgins and McKenzie  They both complement the receiving corps, but in different ways.

Not missing Pat DiMarco.  I think Gilliam, even though listed as a tight end, will give the Bills a lot of what DiMarco has done for them.  Jason Croom on the PS will give a little more depth to the TE group.

I was hoping for Webb to make the team over either Barkley or Fromm, but obviously the Bills saw things differently. 

Not surprise Wade didn't make the team.  He generates some excitement when he's on the field, but I think TJ Yeldin gives Buffalo a far more complete player as depth to go with the two who will get the lion's share of touches.  

I thought Buffalo might keep five DTs, but extra players on offense took up roster spots.  Trent Murphy is a "safe" choice to retain on the d-line even though I'd rather have one of the younger guys who got cut.  Expect a couple of them on the PS.  I'm glad Darryl Johnson made the team.  I think he's going to continue developing.  The Bills almost had to keep Epenesa as a second round draft pick.  He does give them versatility and run defense even if he hasn't been as disruptive as hoped in pass rushing.

As I said in another thread, I think Del'Shawn Phillips give Buffalo a potentially more durable linebacker than Corey Thompson.  At 220 lbs soaking wet, I can't help but feel Thompson was going to get nicked up a lot.   I think The Bills want to develop Phillips for the spot Klein will play in the upcoming season while Dodson will be the primary backup for Edmunds.  Matakevich, of course, is your special teams demon who might get an occasional rep on defense.

While Buffalo only has 3 safeties, Siran Neal can and will line up at safety on occasion.  I think Buffalo will depend on the PS for some additional depth at DB, including Cam Lewis and Dane Jackson.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But his persistent lack of intel on the Bills offense could be part of why he was released...

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1