Bills cuts toward the 53 man roster -Saturday cuts begin Pg 15

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

As far as I know deals for things like "Future Considerations" are a thing.  We traded Chris Spielman many years ago for "Past Considerations" which was quite literally nothing.

We also don't know exactly what the conditions were, it was speculated that they may have been voided, but they may not have.  It can always be something like if he appears on the Bills 53 man roster more than 2 games in 2020 or something.

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I think the fact that it was a conditional 7th round pick the Panthers were very aware of what could happen. We don’t know the full working of the trade so there could be things in there, but making the trade with less than a week before cuts leads me to believe they knew there was a high likelihood they were giving him to the Bills for nothing

I'm not talking about the future considerations part, I'm talking about cutting a guy and bringing him back the next day so you can get another player on the 53 to be able to IR him with the designation to return.  There was an article I read today that another player who may fit this deal is Brian Boehm, he has more than 4 years so is a straight cut, then bring him back and IR Feliciano.

to me this seems like a back door way to circumvent the rules.  Understand everyone else can and do also do this, but just doesn't seem like something the league wants to encourage and what does the NFLPA feel about this?  Do they feel it restricts movement??

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm not talking about the future considerations part, I'm talking about cutting a guy and bringing him back the next day so you can get another player on the 53 to be able to IR him with the designation to return.  There was an article I read today that another player who may fit this deal is Brian Boehm, he has more than 4 years so is a straight cut, then bring him back and IR Feliciano.

to me this seems like a back door way to circumvent the rules.  Understand everyone else can and do also do this, but just doesn't seem like something the league wants to encourage and what does the NFLPA feel about this?  Do they feel it restricts movement??

It's not circumventing the rules. Boehm would be free to sign with anyone he likes during that time and that's the risk you take by doing something like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sal just tweeted about this again.

There is a lot to consider about this move.  It seems to only work if there is "trust" among the team and players.

1.  Any vet cut and not on the roster to start the year is NOT guaranteed their salary for the year.  That's BIG.

2.  Teams have to settle the current contract.  Meaning any money due and the Dead Money has to be settled.

3.  Player has to believe the team will give a new contract that has enough guarantees to make it worth while.

I'm so curious if this happens and which player will be willing to do it.

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's not circumventing the rules. Boehm would be free to sign with anyone he likes during that time and that's the risk you take by doing something like that.

Yes but from everything stated, the teams are cutting side deals,, telling the player we're going to cut you, bring you back on Sunday and for your trouble we'll give you an extra $50 k bonus or something. Agree it's not circumventing the rule, but I think it's circumventing the spirit of the rule.

Will not be supervised to hear some March at the NFL owners meeting a new rule is in place that eliminates this process.  Assuming they can figure out a way to prevent it.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

There is a lot to consider about this move.  It seems to only work if there is "trust" among the team and players.

1.  Any vet cut and not on the roster to start the year is NOT guaranteed their salary for the year.  That's BIG.

2.  Teams have to settle the current contract.  Meaning any money due and the Dead Money has to be settled.

3.  Player has to believe the team will give a new contract that has enough guarantees to make it worth while.

Agree and trust can be construed as side deals or unwritten promises which I would think the league would frown on.

One article I read stated Brian Boehm is a likely candidate for this too.

Yes but from everything stated, the teams are cutting side deals,, telling the player we're going to cut you, bring you back on Sunday and for your trouble we'll give you an extra $50 k bonus or something. Agree it's not circumventing the rule, but I think it's circumventing the spirit of the rule.

Will not be supervised to hear some March at the NFL owners meeting a new rule is in place that eliminates this process.  Assuming they can figure out a way to prevent it.

meh, there have been roster shenanigans since the beginning of time.  All teams are taking advantage of it so it's not a competitive balance problem.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Guess we’re gonna see 20,000 fake jet sweeps again. Interesting to see how they work him on the field over Beasley brown and diggs. 

I don't think they plan to work him on the field over Beasley Brown and Diggs or return instead of Roberts.  Diggs can run reverses and jet sweeps.

But if one of those guys goes down, they want a guy who can fill in.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It always happens with every team. It's been happening for about 40 years that I know of. Last year's example was cutting safety Kurt Coleman, putting Croom on IR after he made the 53 and then resigning Coleman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

meh, there have been roster shenanigans since the beginning of time.  All teams are taking advantage of it so it's not a competitive balance problem.

Agree and then the league tries to close those paths to roster shenanigans, then the teams figure out a new one.  Wouldn't shock me to see the NFLPA doesn't like this and if so will pressure the league to eliminate the practice somehow.

24 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If this is the plan to come back and re-sign him on Sunday, I do wonder if the league will change the rules in future years to prevent this somehow?  While I understand they are not breaking any rules and that every team in the league can make such moves and likely many others are doing a similar thing, I do question if the league rules were developed with the intent of allowing these types of side deals. 

I'm guessing not and won't be shocked to see them close this loophole, though off the top of my head, can't see an easy way to prevent these things from happening.

I would not expect it.  Carolina was going to cut the guy.  If teams want the loop hole covered - they do that via the conditions.  

The conditional 7th could be based on making the team, could be on playing time/games snaps, could be based on being named to any roster (active or PS). 

The NFL should not have to police this - this is team to team based.  Carolina was going to cut him- now we are - the risk moved from them to us.  Carolina lost nothing an may still get a pick depending on the conditions.  It hurts them not at all and moved the risk to the Bills to lose him via waivers.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think they plan to work him on the field over Beasley Brown and Diggs or return instead of Roberts.  Diggs can run reverses and jet sweeps.

You'd suspect he would be inactive most weeks but useful if you need a WR and one goes down injured

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know I’m just teasing, I feel like that’s all I seen last year so I’m a little traumatized still