Tom Seaver RIP

Helpmenow

I don't listen to Simon except in passing.  I was just commenting on his being Alexander's cousin.  I really liked Seaver. Followed the Mets through their WS tears, Was sad to see him go to the Reds.

Edited by Wacka

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets players pay tribute to Seaver today with dirty right knees. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29804025/mets-honor-tom-seaver-iconic-drop-drive-delivery-dirty-knees

That is an awesome tribute to an all-time great.  👍

I’d like to think that passing away, is much better than living in an advanced state of dementia, alzheimer’s, parkinson’s, etc...

😞😞😞

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

That is an awesome tribute to an all-time great.  👍

I’d like to think that passing away, is much better than living in an advanced state of dementia, alzheimer’s, parkinson’s, etc...

😞😞😞

Yeah, hats off to whoever came up with the idea to honor #41 that way.

Hopefully they'll have his statue ready for opening day next year (https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/mets-plan-to-unveil-tom-seaver-statue-for-2021-season/)

And totally agreed on his dementia. I was probably more saddened by the announcement that he was stepping away from his public life due to dementia than I was by news of his passing.

I was never a fan of any of Tom's teams, but respected the heck out of him. I was old enough to remember the trade to the Reds, so I mainly remember him as a Red. 

When I found out he had a winery over the hill from us, I desperately tried to visit. Then realized how exclusive this place was. You need to be a member to visit. A handful of years later, I'm still waiting. I occasionally get updates about my standing, but when I found out the prices for a bottle....around $500, I then also realized it was out of my price range. Unfortunately, never got to meet Tom Terrific. 

22 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yeah, hats off to whoever came up with the idea to honor #41 that way.

Hopefully they'll have his statue ready for opening day next year (https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/mets-plan-to-unveil-tom-seaver-statue-for-2021-season/)

And totally agreed on his dementia. I was probably more saddened by the announcement that he was stepping away from his public life due to dementia than I was by news of his passing.

There should have been a statue waiting for him when Citi opened in 2010. Absolutely shameful that the Wilpons did nothing to honor his legacy except some BS renaming a street after him last summer Disgraceful that it took the announcement that he was ill for them to even get the statue idea up and running. Instead Citi Field is a tribute too the Brooklyn Dodgers whom Fred grew up loving and not the Mets. Little moves over the years have changed that but it still has little to no Met feel in that ballpark and their history.

I hope Steve Cohen completely transforms Citi Field into a more Met feel and honors Seaver properly. I would absolutely love to see him rename the ballpark after Seaver but I'm not sure even a guy worth 14 billion would pass up 20 mil a year in naming rights. Regardless the Wilpons should be ashamed of themselves for the Seaver debacle based on what that man meant to this teams history. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

There should have been a statue waiting for him when Citi opened in 2010. Absolutely shameful that the Wilpons did nothing to honor his legacy except some BS renaming a street after him last summer Disgraceful that it took the announcement that he was ill for them to even get the statue idea up and running. Instead Citi Field is a tribute too the Brooklyn Dodgers whom Fred grew up loving and not the Mets. Little moves over the years have changed that but it still has little to no Met feel in that ballpark and their history.

I hope Steve Cohen completely transforms Citi Field into a more Met feel and honors Seaver properly. I would absolutely love to see him rename the ballpark after Seaver but I'm not sure even a guy worth 14 billion would pass up 20 mil a year in naming rights. Regardless the Wilpons should be ashamed of themselves for the Seaver debacle based on what that man meant to this teams history. 

One correction - the commissioning of the statue was announced at the same time they renamed the address to Seaver Way. But agreed on the Dodgers stuff, that never made sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

One correction - the commissioning of the statue was announced at the same time they renamed the address to Seaver Way. But agreed on the Dodgers stuff, that never made sense to me. 

Good call and thank you for correcting me. It’s still disingenuous no matter what.

The Citibank naming rights deal for Citi Field is 20 million a year until 2029.  I think Steve Cohen can negotiate a settlement and reclaim our ballpark. 

Honoring Tom Seaver is worth every damn penny. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sadly, another baseball legend passed away today. Lou Brock was the gold standard for base stealers when I was growing up. 

In an odd coincidence, Brock had more at bats against Seaver than any other pitcher he faced: 157 at bats. And Brock was the player that Seaver faced the most as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sadly, another baseball legend passed away today. Lou Brock was the gold standard for base stealers when I was growing up. 

In an odd coincidence, Brock had more at bats against Seaver than any other pitcher he faced: 157 at bats. And Brock was the player that Seaver faced the most as well. 

Was a huge Cardinal fan as a little kid in the 60's.  It still breaks my heart that Mickey Lolich beat the Cardinals 3 times in the '68 WS, and the Tigers won in 7 games. 🙁

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Was a huge Cardinal fan as a little kid in the 60's.  It still breaks my heart that Mickey Lolich beat the Cardinals 3 times in the '68 WS, and the Tigers won in 7 games. 🙁

But you had Bob Gibson in 1964 -deal with it! 🍺

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Seaver and Gibson are two absolute legends. I was too young to see them in the 60's but they were best of the best in the NL in the early to mid 70's

Yes they were. Also as a Yankees fan I had to wait from 1964 to 1976 for their next WS appearance after facing Gibson.
But I always loved watching a great pitcher. 
Sorry Gugny, but I couldn't wait to watch the Dodgers against the Mets in Shea with Koufax and Drysdale when the Yanks were on the road.. 
But you might want to know I still have my Seaver and Koosman rookie cards that never saw the bicycle spokes.

Just now, Uncle Joe said:

Yes they were. Also as a Yankees fan I had to wait from 1964 to 1976 for their next WS appearance after facing Gibson.
But I always loved watching a great pitcher. 
Sorry Gugny, but I couldn't wait to watch the Dodgers against the Mets in Shea with Koufax and Drysdale when the Yanks were on the road.. 
But you might want to know I still have my Seaver and Koosman rookie cards that never saw the bicycle spokes.

LOL, as a Yankee fan you've been more than paid back for 64-76 (and what I remember as the Horace Clarke years). 

I never saw Koufax, but by most accounts he was better than Seaver and Gibson.

As for Koosman, sadly he was due to be honored by the Mets this season until Covid effed everything up.