Pats releasing Mohammed Sanu

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bravo, Belichick realized his mistake. How many mistakes has he racked up? When does it start to hurt?

It’s going to start NOW when you don’t have the goat bailing you out !! 

13 hours ago, Doc said:

They'll need to use most of that money.  And to get a QB.

They really will not "need" to use most of that money. They're scheduled to have the third largest amount of cap space in the league next year. They'll need to use some. Every single team, without exception, does. But they're in terrific shape next year.

And next year is going to be a year where the teams have all the advantage, because there are going to be the usual amount of FAs looking to get paid and far far less available cap space league-wide to pay them. Signing FAs to bargain deals next year is going to be much much easier than it usually is, and the Pats are in terrific shape to take advantage of that.

Will they have to get a QB? Dunno. Nor does anyone, really. Will Newton turn out to be the guy? Will he be injured and Stidham turn out to be excellent? Will they turn out to have nobody. Will they draft one early? We don't know.

9 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Chandler does..jones doesn't 

And I do not remember Gilmore getting the accolades he is getting now. Hogan was pretty solid wide out needed a QB to throw to him.

Agree. Gilmore has absolutely performed better there than here. How much is the system and the surrounding cast? Dunno, but when in Buffalo he was NOT widely considered the single best CB in the league as he is there.

Same with Hogan. He was more productive there, and the Pats system isn't built to pump up WR stats. Brady spreads it out. When I checked his stats, I was surprised to see he was still in the league last year, though. I hadn't noticed. He was in Carolina. As an ex-Panther, can it be long before Beane brings him in?

On 9/3/2020 at 5:58 AM, Thurman#1 said:

And even his draft record isn't bad, considering how low they've picked for 20 years now.

His draft record in that 09 to 15 type period was pretty darn awesome. I put the list up recently of guys out of those drafts who went on to help them win Superbowls... it was a really good list. They were churning out 3 or 4 good starters a year. Their draft record the last 4 or 5 years is less good. And that is why when you look at the roster now it appears thin in some spots. 

EDIT- Here is the list again: Patrick Chung, Sebastien Vollmer, Julian Edelman, Devin McCourty, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Shane Vereen, Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon, Dont'a Hightower, Chandler Jones, Logan Ryan, Jamie Collins, James White, Malcolm Brown, Shaq Mason, Tre Flowers, Joe Thuney, Elandon Roberts, Ted Karras

Then add to that Jimmy Garoppolo, Jacoby Brissett who have been starting QBs in this league and Malcolm Butler and David Andrews as UDFAs. That is one hell of a haul.

What is interesting is the guy who took a powerful role in the front office for the first time in 2009 and left in 2015 which kinda coincided with the drop off in drafting was Bob Quinn who has been underwhelming as a GM in his own right in Detroit and is now on the hotseat. 

Edited by GunnerBill