Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

On 10/23/2020 at 11:38 PM, 4merper4mer said:

The core problem is that nobody knows if 2050 is enough time to develop so called green energy.  There is no indication at all that we are capable of getting there by then or any other specific date.  None.  Solar airplanes?  It's a joke.  

The green part is also a myth as even solar has negative environmental impacts. 

Forcing companies to invest does not make something happen.  If there is a visible path toward success, companies will be tripping over themselves to invest.  Right now no one sees that path.  Why not force companies to stop mining gold and invest in genetically engineering ducks that will crap out 24 karat eggs?  This way there are no holes in the ground and no duck poop to clean up.

This duck idea...let me know when you’re looking for investors.  Something about it sounds like it’s got legs.

14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't understand your first "sentence".  To clarify, I'm not against cleaning up emissions now.  I was just saying that if we arrive at the conclusion that fossils need to stay around for a long time then we should do a better job cleaning them up.  If a miracle source kills fossils in 30 years then great.  Problem solved.

If fossils are indeed all we have then other than sticking with them, what would you say is the solution?  Eliminate them anyway and watch billions starve?

...Mother Nature has NOT done too bad a job as the "Boss" over BILLIONS of years......and she's STILL employed.......certainly we can make improvements but forget the fear mongering, "sky is falling" tree huggers wanting to sink us economically with absurd worldly compliance.....poor 'ol China is just a "developing nation (we know what THEY are DEVELOPING)" gets a huge pass.....that right there tells me "a farce"......

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This duck idea...let me know when you’re looking for investors.  Something about it sounds like it’s got legs.

Actually in an effort to get bigger eggs the ducks had to undergo some amputations so saying the project has legs would be misleading.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/15/2020 at 9:56 PM, B-Man said:

set-up curveball questions on ABC — trump hitting every single one out of the park.

Thumbnail

The blond on now stated as fact the now discredited "losers and suckers' statement. He absolutely refuted it and is doing so very well. He's honest, and it's hard to refute the truth.

That doesn't stop ABC though.

Discredited?

jfc

In the summer of 2017, after just half a year in the White House, Donald Trump flew to Paris for Bastille Day celebrations thrown by Emmanuel Macron, the new French President. Macron staged a spectacular martial display to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the American entrance into the First World War. Vintage tanks rolled down the Champs-Élysées as fighter jets roared overhead. The event seemed to be calculated to appeal to Trump—his sense of showmanship and grandiosity—and he was visibly delighted. The French general in charge of the parade turned to one of his American counterparts and said, “You are going to be doing this next year.”

Sure enough, Trump returned to Washington determined to have his generals throw him the biggest, grandest military parade ever for the Fourth of July. The generals, to his bewilderment, reacted with disgust. “I’d rather swallow acid,” his Defense Secretary, James Mattis, said. Struggling to dissuade Trump, officials pointed out that the parade would cost millions of dollars and tear up the streets of the capital.

But the gulf between Trump and the generals was not really about money or practicalities, just as their endless policy battles were not only about clashing views on whether to withdraw from Afghanistan or how to combat the nuclear threat posed by North Korea and Iran. The divide was also a matter of values, of how they viewed the United States itself. That was never clearer than when Trump told his new chief of staff, John Kelly—like Mattis, a retired Marine Corps general—about his vision for Independence Day. “Look, I don’t want any wounded guys in the parade,” Trump said. “This doesn’t look good for me.” He explained with distaste that at the Bastille Day parade there had been several formations of injured veterans, including wheelchair-bound soldiers who had lost limbs in battle.

Kelly could not believe what he was hearing. “Those are the heroes,” he told Trump. “In our society, there’s only one group of people who are more heroic than they are—and they are buried over in Arlington.” Kelly did not mention that his own son Robert, a lieutenant killed in action in Afghanistan, was among the dead interred there.

“I don’t want them,” Trump repeated. “It doesn’t look good for me.”

The subject came up again during an Oval Office briefing that included Trump, Kelly, and Paul Selva, an Air Force general and the vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Kelly joked in his deadpan way about the parade. “Well, you know, General Selva is going to be in charge of organizing the Fourth of July parade,” he told the President. Trump did not understand that Kelly was being sarcastic. “So, what do you think of the parade?” Trump asked Selva. Instead of telling Trump what he wanted to hear, Selva was forthright.

“I didn’t grow up in the United States, I actually grew up in Portugal,” Selva said. “Portugal was a dictatorship—and parades were about showing the people who had the guns. And in this country, we don’t do that.” He added, “It’s not who we are.”

Even after this impassioned speech, Trump still did not get it. “So, you don’t like the idea?” he said, incredulous.

“No,” Selva said. “It’s what dictators do.