Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

30 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

What on earth gives you that idea?

Let me break it down for the uninitiated:

Chris Wallace - a Fox News guy - interrupted Trump constantly, thus saving Biden's ass on numerous occasions.

My comment was " could you imagine a reverse scenario, where a CNN host gave Trump a leg up".

It's really not that hard a concept to grasp.

I keep seeing this in the thread but I don't seen any of you acknowledge Trumps complete lack of tact and many attempts to speak over Biden and interrupting at every chance. The moderator had no choice but to continuously jump in to stop Trump from interrupting.  Trump didn't hit his stride until he stopped doing that imo.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

He started it!

This is where we are in America today :bag:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Nice. Now if we could just get rid of the Town Hall format and cut everyone's mic until it's his turn to talk.

...quite frankly, I did NOT bother to watch the debates nor do I want to discuss my political views.....at the same time, Trump is a bombastic, caustic, irascible and TYPICAL New Yorker.....there are times when he needs to STFU and even have his thumbs taped so he's "Twitterless"......sure he's a bonafide outsider who the "Good 'Ol Boyz" political network hate and it's ON BOTH SIDES......their "closed fraternity" has been invaded and the graft, corruption et al exposed makes Nixon look like an altar boy....so have many said, last night was a "shi#sh%w" from both sides.....anybody expecting Trump to abandon his NYC brashness in favor of "warm 'n fuzzy" were pipe dreaming....

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

I keep seeing this in the thread but I don't seen any of you acknowledge Trumps complete lack of tact and many attempts to speak over Biden and interrupting at every chance. The moderator had no choice but to continuously jump in to stop Trump from interrupting. Trump didn't hit his stride until he stopped doing that imo

Oh, I'll fully acknowledge it. That's always been his style for better and worse. It's one of the big reasons he won in '16 (because he tapped into a large segment of the population's desire to stick it to establishment DC). People who expect Trump to be anything other than Trump are never going to be satisfied. This is a feature not a bug for many. And for many, it's an instant turnoff. 

I understand how both camps got there. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

<_<

Man this is at least the 3rd tweet in this thread you have posted that is a stretch at the very least if not an outright lie.  Trump interrupted Wallace not the other way around.  He couldn't let Wallace finish the question before he wanted to speak.

12 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Oh, I'll fully acknowledge it. That's always been his style for better and worse. It's one of the big reasons he won in '16 (because he tapped into a large segment of the population's desire to stick it to establishment DC). People who expect Trump to be anything other than Trump are never going to be satisfied. This is a feature not a bug for many. And for many, it's an instant turnoff. 

I appreciate that, finally some sanity lol.

I think it did work in 16 bc he was an outsider.  However that schtick doesn't work as well when he has been president for 4 years with a republican controlled congress for the duration of his presidency.  He can't blame current politicians for the the current problems as he is no longer an outsider.  As the president this is now his mess.  He tried to drop a 47 years line on Biden but it fell flat imo bc he is no longer able to blame anyone else. 

I agree the cowboy style worked in 16 but I thought he was at his best last night when he shut up and played by the rules.  I think he tried to rile up Biden at the start but it just came across as him being a petulant child to me. I definitely fall into the instant turnoff group.  I just can't wrap my head around the person who represents all of America acting in this manner and people thinking it is okay.

Edited by section122
paragraph break
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I understand how both camps got there. 

...precisely DR......how many YEARS did people cry for a Washington outsider to "clean up the mess"?......how long has Congressional ratings lumbered in the teens?....how many times did Washington "insiders" fraudulently claim to be THE outsider "new Sheriff in town" to clean up the mess?.....name names?...waste of time and not ONE was elected....so now we get one, the "Good 'Ol Boyz BOTH Sides Fraternity" has been invaded.....and look at all of their dirty little covert secrets, graft, corruption, manipulation et al that has been exposed.....Jesus, "The Swamp" may be deeper than the Pacific.....SMH......."world's greatest democracy" my butt......sad.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Look at the video that's posted right above.

"I don't know who the Proud Boys are."

Don't you think, if you're being pummeled in the (mainstream) media about you're refusal to disavow them you'd use, I don't know, the next 16 hours to find out who they are?

Then you could come out and do proper damage control (not the type that your campaign manager -- not the one in a mental ward, the new one -- is forcing you to do). It would be easy:

"After looking into the nature of that group, which I wasn't fully apprised of when my opponent threw that name in my face last night, I can say that I unequivocally denounce any violent or threatening tactics by them, which can only heighten tensions in these delicate times."

And still ... he can't do it.

I don't see you calling for Biden to denounce Antifa or BLM. Why is that?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, section122 said:

I think it did work in 16 bc he was an outsider.  However that schtick doesn't work as well when he has been president for 4 years with a republican controlled congress for the duration of his presidency.  He can't blame current politicians for the the current problems as he is no longer an outsider.  As the president this is now his mess.  He tried to drop a 47 years line on Biden but it fell flat imo bc he is no longer able to blame anyone else. 

I agree the cowboy style worked in 16 but I thought he was at his best last night when he shut up and played by the rules.  I think he tried to rile up Biden at the start but it just came across as him being a petulant child to me. I definitely fall into the instant turnoff group.  I just can't wrap my head around the person who represents all of America acting in this manner and people thinking it is okay.

:beer: 

Per the bolded, let me ask you sincerely a question I've asked myself. Forget our current political situation, Trump or Biden don't exist for the sake of this question, what matters more to you personally: having a president who says all the right things in public and is spit shined perfect in terms of staying on message -- however off screen/camera he's corrupt up the wazzoo in any way you can imagine, or a president who's a lout and anything but spit shined perfect on camera -- however off screen/camera he's not lining his pockets but instead doing his job above board?

A lot of people who "support Trump" don't like his personality, they tolerate it as a means to an end. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, section122 said:

I think it did work in 16 bc he was an outsider.  However that schtick doesn't work as well when he has been president for 4 years with a republican controlled congress for the duration of his presidency.  He can't blame current politicians for the the current problems as he is no longer an outsider.  As the president this is now his mess.  He tried to drop a 47 years line on Biden but it fell flat imo bc he is no longer able to blame anyone else.  I agree the cowboy style worked in 16 but I thought he was at his best last night when he shut up and played by the rules.  I think he tried to rile up Biden at the start but it just came across as him being a petulant child to me. 

I definitely fall into the instant turnoff group.  I just can't wrap my head around the person who represents all of America acting in this manner and people thinking it is okay.

It hasn’t been a Republican controlled Congress for the duration of his term and he never had a super majority in the Senate.  Still things were going extremely well until Covid forced shutdowns (which Biden would be willing to institute again)and George Floyd’s death caused riots, neither of which were his fault.  

17 minutes ago, section122 said:

From before Trump was elected, the DC Swamp and compliant media have been hostile. The never ending impeachment based on a hoax, the continual selective leaking from bad actors, the partisan behavior of the press resulting in utterly unbalanced reporting  -- Trump absolutely can plausibly run as an outsider because he still is an outsider.

• Like (+1) 2

Antifa 2020 is kind of where Occupy Wall Street was in 2008, or the Tea Party in 2009 or Black Lives Matter immediately post-Ferguson. A set of political goals and agreed-upon methods to achieve them.

Over time we saw those earlier concepts crystallize (some might say be co-opted) into organizations. I haven't studied Antifa closely enough to know whether that's where they're at now, but if there is an "Antifa.com" that's a good sign.

For an explanation of the concept, see the Proud Boys thread.

This is not to argue with either side, but rather to explain what the FBI Director meant when discussing Antifa, and how Biden gave an incomplete answer when he said it is just a concept.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

From before Trump was elected, the DC Swamp and compliant media have been hostile. The never ending impeachment based on a hoax, the continual selective leaking from bad actors, the partisan behavior of the press resulting in utterly unbalanced reporting  -- Trump absolutely can plausibly run as an outsider because he still is an outsider.

...but the closed culture, what I affectionately call the "Good 'Ol Boyz Network" with faithful guards FROM BOTH SIDES has been breached......and volumes of their "dirty little secrets" exposed.....NEITHER side was ready for a REAL outsider........

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/painful-triggering-why-ibram-x-211711846.html

I made it like 4 sentences in before I couldn’t read anymore. I was laughing at how absurdly stupid this was to the point I’m tearing up. 

....people may have “trauma” from the debate according to the idiot who invented critical race theory. Naturally all the Martha’s Vineyard liberals are very concerned and I am dying laughing. 

55 minutes ago, section122 said:

Man this is at least the 3rd tweet in this thread you have posted that is a stretch at the very least if not an outright lie.  Trump interrupted Wallace not the other way around.  He couldn't let Wallace finish the question before he wanted to speak.

WTF are you talking about? The tweet you quoted SHOWED Chris Wallace in 2016 asking Trump to disavow "white supremacists," you know the same question Chris Wallace asked last night? Watch the video.