Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

Interesting advice for Biden :

Debate coach: The best debate advice Joe Biden will ever get

To be successful, Biden's going to have to win a "street debate." My teams have encountered more than our share of Trump "style" debaters, and there's only one way to effectively win against them.Control the room.

To simplify, it means don't get lost in the weeds of specific arguments. Instead, emphasize attitude. Stand up to Trump. Be assertive. Be aggressive. Be big.

In coaching debate and teaching interpersonal communication, there are lessons on how to counter an overbearing opponent such as Trump. And it's as simple as this: If you aren't aggressive back at them (but in your own way), you'll get steamrolled. In those first Republican debates of the 2016 election, for example, national debate champion Ted Cruz was no match for Trump.

The best part, and my second style tip for Biden: Quotes. Use Trump's own words against him during the debate. Quote him liberally. In Trump's fun house world, there's always a tweet or previous statement where he contradicts himself. After all, as he can remind Trump, "Those aren't my words. Those words were spoken by YOU."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/opinions/debate-advice-for-biden-graham/index.html

On 9/18/2020 at 12:35 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

That is the downside to Trump's strategy over the past few months. He's been honest about Joe's mental decline, but has piled on so much that all Joe needs to do now in the debates to be declared a winner is not set himself on fire during it. So long as he does that, he'll be anointed the winner by everyone in the media and everyone else who didn't watch the event. 

Biden was very effective against Ryan in a guy off the street sort of way.  His history of plagarism, lies, racial insensitivity and uncomfortable groping/touching/assaulting was of no concern to the citizens who voted for him then, nor was his unprofessional debate style of interrupting and or guffawing like a swamp mule then.  He’s been elevated to heir apparent now, so he’ll get away with anything he does now. 

I’m not at all certain it’s the slam dunk many feel it will be.  Trump isn’t Paul Ryan, but I’d be surprised to see Biden babbling for the entire event.  Trump’s line of attack should simply be an extension of what he said recently—he’s accomplished more than in 47 months than Biden has in 47 years. He wins on those terms. 

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Trump’s line of attack should simply be an extension of what he said recently—he’s accomplished more than in 47 months than Biden has in 47 years. He wins on those terms. 

You can accomplish a lot more as President then a Senator with 1 vote out of a 100 to be fair.

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

To be successful, Biden's going to have to win a "street debate." My teams have encountered more than our share of Trump "style" debaters, and there's only one way to effectively win against them.Control the room.

To simplify, it means don't get lost in the weeds of specific arguments. Instead, emphasize attitude. Stand up to Trump. Be assertive. Be aggressive. Be big.

In coaching debate and teaching interpersonal communication, there are lessons on how to counter an overbearing opponent such as Trump. And it's as simple as this: If you aren't aggressive back at them (but in your own way), you'll get steamrolled. In those first Republican debates of the 2016 election, for example, national debate champion Ted Cruz was no match for Trump.

The best part, and my second style tip for Biden: Quotes. Use Trump's own words against him during the debate. Quote him liberally. In Trump's fun house world, there's always a tweet or previous statement where he contradicts himself. After all, as he can remind Trump, "Those aren't my words. Those words were spoken by YOU."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/opinions/debate-advice-for-biden-graham/index.html

As Mike Tyson said "everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face".  This election will come down to swing voters in several key states.  These people voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 but for Trump in 2016.  They are people impacted by "izations" of the past 20 years.  Globalization and Financialization of the economy.   Their lives have been downsized from middle/working class to lower class and poverty through moving their jobs and businesses offshore and by the flow of money into Wall Street and the Banks through Federal Reserve monetary and government fiscal policies.  

Biden needs to appeal to these voters in a way H. Clinton wouldn't.  She went so far as to call them "deplorables".  They embraced Trump's vision to "Make America Great Again" and the potential to restore some of their livelihood.  Biden also needs to distance himself from the most radical elements of the party and assure voters they will not exert control over the administration if elected.  Trump will need to play off this theme and paint a picture of radicals and anarchy being the norm if Biden wins and that he is the choice for those seeking the restoration of order and civility.   Trump will also call into question Biden's "mental state" and Joe needs to be on his game.  It should make for great entertainment.     

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

You can accomplish a lot more as President then a Senator with 1 vote out of a 100 to be fair.

He's had 47 years to accomplish anything, yet his resume is blank. He's a career politician who is suffering from early onset dementia. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

He spent nearly 20% of his time as the second most powerful human being in the world after spending the other 80% in the rarified air of being in the top 25.  If his pitch follows your line of thinking—and I’m not knocking you here—he comes off sounding like a tired old tiger who lost his teeth.  

Besides, fairness has nothing to do with anything. 

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

He spent nearly 20% of his time as the second most powerful human being in the world after spending the other 80% in the rarified air of being in the top 25.  If his pitch follows your line of thinking—and I’m not knocking you here—he comes off sounding like a tired old tiger who lost his teeth.  

Besides, fairness has nothing to do with anything. 

Do you think Obama took Biden's advice ?  I did not vote for President in 2016 , nor will I in 2020. The next Congress will need to do a lot better whoever the next President is. 

19 minutes ago, ALF said:

Do you think Obama took Biden's advice ?  I did not vote for President in 2016 , nor will I in 2020. The next Congress will need to do a lot better whoever the next President is. 

I'm with you.  In 2016 I thought Trump was a B S artist and somebody that had no grasp of details or facts.  Clinton was a despicable character extorting money from various donors through her families "charitable" foundation. 

Now in 2020, Trump is what he is and Biden is a nondescript mediocre career politician suffering from the onset of dementia or some other degenerative mental ailment. 

My vote is "none of the above".  Can't we do better? 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ALF said:

What I think is largely irrelevant to the relationship between Obama and Biden  when Biden was the second most powerful man in the world.  I know who   I am voting for and whether or not they hated each other is not my concern.

I understand from a dispassionate perspective the question posed, but you’ve now suggested that a guy in office for nearly 5 decades didn’t really have the juice to be impactful enough in his role because he wasn’t president, and now was not essential and/or useful as counsel to President in his role as VP.  

This approach, should Biden choose to take that path, is a losing strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

The first piece of advice may be bad if it isn’t Biden’s normal style.  Not a good idea to make a 77 year old try something new.

The second piece of advice is also bad.  Why give Trump the ability to explain a bad quote?  Save those for commercials.

32 minutes ago, ALF said:

Did you not watch the Dem primary debates?

To hear Joe’s version, he was integral to everything.  Whether that’s true or not, it is the story he goes to.  Everything out of his mouth is based strictly on his 47 year record — and especially his VP work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/23/2020 at 6:01 AM, GETTOTHE50 said:

Would anyone trust joe in a house alone with functioning appliances for more then let’s say..10 hrs? He’d probably burn down the house with a goddamn toaster 

Or you come back and he has them all in your bed with him performing unspeakable acts on them:lol:

I'd love to see a Joe Rogan moderated debate to see if he can actually be unbiased or not... also would love to see Biden just finish himself off by screaming at Rogan during the biggest debate for asking him a question.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

28 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Or you come back and he has them all in your bed with him performing unspeakable acts on them:lol:

I'd love to see a Joe Rogan moderated debate to see if he can actually be unbiased or not... also would love to see Biden just finish himself off by screaming at Rogan during the biggest debate for asking him a question.

And the Rogan taking him down and forcing him to tap just for the disrespect.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here we go - what a freakn loser

2020 Election: Trump claims first presidential debate will be ‘unfair'

Pathetic AF

“Chris is good, but I would be willing to bet that he won’t ask Biden tough questions,” the president told Brian Kilmeade on Fox News Radio.

“He will ask tough questions of me and it will be unfair, I have no doubt about it. He will be controlled by the radical left.”

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Here we go - what a freakn loser

2020 Election: Trump claims first presidential debate will be ‘unfair'

Pathetic AF

“Chris is good, but I would be willing to bet that he won’t ask Biden tough questions,” the president told Brian Kilmeade on Fox News Radio.

“He will ask tough questions of me and it will be unfair, I have no doubt about it. He will be controlled by the radical left.”

This is a typical Trump move to set the expectations.  Like a coach implying the refs are going to favor their opponent on Sunday because they always get all the calls.  So now the officials are going to be on their toes to "prove" they are being unbiased.  And if he is judged to be the "loser" well then the moderator wasn't fair as previously suggested.  And if not his great abilities and the record of his administration won the day.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

...the "New Doo" says "nope"......bet she forwarded her message to Joe's teleprompter..............

Pelosi doubles down that Biden shouldn't debate Trump: 'Why bother?'

Pelosi claimed Trump and his 'henchmen' have no 'fidelity' to facts or truth

By Megan Henney | Fox News

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday doubled down on her argument that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden should not debate President Trump, claiming the Republican incumbent and his "henchmen" have no "fidelity" to facts or the truth.

Asked during an interview on "Morning on CBS" whether she still believed the former vice president should skip the three scheduled debates, Pelosi said: "Oh, I do. Not that I don't think he'll be excellent. I just think that the president has no fidelity to fact or truth and, actually in his comments the last few days, no fidelity to the Constitution of the United States."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-doubles-down-biden-shouldnt-debate-trump

• Like (+1) 1