A "Wildcat Strike" By The NFLPA Coming?

H2o

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Back to the point of this topic....I wonder what would happen, let’s say, if the NFLPA started boycotting games and fans that paid for the Sunday Ticket started a class action suit against the NFL/NFLPA/DirecTV to recoup money spent for a product that wasn’t delivered?

I’m guessing that people who paid for NFL Sunday Ticket would get a full or pro-rated refund probably without a lawsuit. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Jdragon2 said:

lol the percentage of "fans" who get riled up by these things isn't that high. I'd actually wager that the more fanatical "fans" on this site fall into that category. Therefore, the "need" to watch football. 

Additionally the players earn their money from the owners/league. The league earns the vast percentage of their revenue from TV deals. While I agree that tickets/merchandise is the other percentage; again....people will still watch and buy merch. Those "Fans" will not stop that from happening.

the "fans" are the ones watching on TV and buying merchandise.  

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Back to the point of this topic....I wonder what would happen, let’s say, if the NFLPA started boycotting games and fans that paid for the Sunday Ticket started a class action suit against the NFL/NFLPA/DirecTV to recoup money spent for a product that wasn’t delivered?

they should.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Jdragon2 said:

lol, didnt you, or others with this same mindset, say the same thing about kneeling, allowing shoes to be designed by players, letting players voice their social justice concerns, and any other multitude of things that mean players have a brain and can think for themselves?

The league will be fine, but by all means boycott the league.... you need them far more then they need you. 

You got it the wrong way around buddy. No one needs the NFL. People need farmers, and soldiers, and everyday workers who make our economy work. NFL, nah, thats a luxury.

Edited by Bferra13
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

These athletes have an over inflated opinion of themselves.  Nothing they do in terms of sitting out games, antics during the national anthems, etc... will make a damn bit of difference. 

They want to make a difference? Sit down with inner city leaders, police commissioners, and elected officials and demand change and ask what they can do to help?   How often does this happen?   I’d guess not very often, if at all. 

I think the Bills might be one of the few teams that does this? 

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m guessing that people who paid for NFL Sunday Ticket would get a full or pro-rated refund probably without a lawsuit. 

If DirecTv/AT&T is feeling generous at the time.

But then they will want their money from the NFL. There will be lawsuits, guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

If DirecTv/AT&T is feeling generous at the time.

But then they will want their money from the NFL. There will be lawsuits, guaranteed.

You don’t think that NFL broadcasting contracts actually require that games be played?  I do not think that I’m going out on a limb when I say that there’s a clause to that effect.  Also do you think that networks pay up front for all of the games in a season?  No games, no payment to the NFL from DirectTV.  They’d have no reason not to provide a refund to customers (less a modest transaction fee maybe). 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You don’t think that NFL broadcasting contracts actually require that games be played?  I do not think that I’m going out on a limb when I say that there’s a clause to that effect.  Also do you think that networks pay up front for all of the games in a season?  No games, no payment to the NFL from DirectTV.  They’d have no reason not to provide a refund to customers (less a modest transaction fee maybe). 

Yeah, I would imagine networks do pay the NFL up front to broadcast the games. No matter what, someone is going to demand money back from the NFL if this wildcat strike happens.

12 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

This will be the end of the NFL. Sad. Politics and Football don’t mix. Ego will ruined the league. 

Yeah right.

The NFL is a steamroller that can't be stopped.

They could botch up this entire season and you and everyone else would be lining up to give them your money next season, as per the norm.

12 hours ago, Jdragon2 said:

lol, didnt you, or others with this same mindset, say the same thing about kneeling, allowing shoes to be designed by players, letting players voice their social justice concerns, and any other multitude of things that mean players have a brain and can think for themselves?

The league will be fine, but by all means boycott the league.... you need them far more then they need you. 

You might need them more than they need you but not me. Thanks to the ineptitude of the Bills for most of this century, the Patriot dynasty and my watching my son grow up I have learned I don’t need them (the NFL) at all. I may want to watch them play but if I miss a game or two or ten it won’t matter. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah right.

The NFL is a steamroller that can't be stopped.

They could botch up this entire season and you and everyone else would be lining up to give them your money next season, as per the norm.

Maybe.  Also, maybe not.  The issue is, you don't have to alienate your entire audience.  There's a threshold under which all of a sudden advertisers are less interested and the giant tv contract becomes less so.  Nike stood with Kaepernick because their target demographic largely agreed with his antics.  Will Budweiser stay with the NFL if the people who drink Budweiser are watching in much smaller numbers?

Also, the owners will change their tune the second they feel it slipping away, just watch

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Maybe.  Also, maybe not.  The issue is, you don't have to alienate your entire audience.  There's a threshold under which all of a sudden advertisers are less interested and the giant tv contract becomes less so.  Nike stood with Kaepernick because their target demographic largely agreed with his antics.  Will Budweiser stay with the NFL if the people who drink Budweiser are watching in much smaller numbers?

Also, the owners will change their tune the second they feel it slipping away, just watch

very possible , I just don't see it happening anytime soon. ABC wants to get back to Monday Night Football. Fox paid big money for Thursday. Right now it's still the best programming out there.

14 hours ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I would imagine networks do pay the NFL up front to broadcast the games. No matter what, someone is going to demand money back from the NFL if this wildcat strike happens.

Someone may demand a refund, but it won’t be any of the networks that pay billions a year for the broadcast rights; none of whom want to risk disfavor with the league in the next negotiations. There’s just too much long term future stake to risk on a short term loss. 

On 9/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, H2o said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/02/nfl-seems-to-be-willing-to-accept-a-wildcat-strike-over-social-justice/#respond

So the NFLPA is talking about possibly sitting out a week at some point during the season, just like the NBA pulled their boycott, and apparently they have spoken with the NFL about it. 

Last thing we need is more people sitting out for no reason. Play the game you get paid to play.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, Buffalo619 said:

This will be the end of the NFL. Sad. Politics and Football don’t mix. Ego will ruined the league. 

I’ll bite: Can you please post the list of what types of professionals are allowed to exercise their views and which aren’t? Doesn’t have to be a pie chart...maybe just two lists. Thanks. 

If you have the spare time, I’d also love a breakdown of what counts as “politics” and what counts as standing up for basic human dignity, justice, fairness, and equal protection under the law. Maybe in, like, a Venn diagram form. That’d be cool. 

I REALLY appreciate you deciding the rules on all this stuff. Helps a ton. 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, Jdragon2 said:

I need food, water and prefer to have shelter. The NFL and football is a want not a need but I would like to escape for a few hours and actually watch and concentrate on the game of football. Political opinions and social justice causes are abound and have gradually seeped into all aspects of our lives. If I want to watch and hear political opinions I’ll go to one of the multitude of cable news channels to do so. If I want social justice then I will join a cause or protest that I believe in. The NBA ratings have gone down in part because people want to see basketball being played and not be constantly hit over the head with social justice causes. As a fan I’m being lectured by athletes who too often know little about the cases and causes they are championing. Its sad but mixing sports and politics is the cool thing to do right now in order to be woke and everyone has to jump on board with the same thought or you are shunned, ie. Drew Brees. I’m a huge football fan but I am prepared to walk away from the game if the NFL decides to take the NBA model. I’m already going to be reducing my watching to the Bills and will see how things progress. 

And for the many of you who will say good riddance and just deal with it. I’ll ask you this, if the NFL began to push a anti abortion stance before and through its games then would it bother you? Or maybe some some environmental issue that you are not for? I happen to think it would not sit well with those who were on the opposing side. 

I’ll leave with this, sports are a pastime and distraction from a more complicated life. It is supposed to be where everyone in your community can come together no matter the background even for just 3 hours of time. Politics is poison right now and we are injecting it into the “safe spaces” that can bring an entire community together. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Someone may demand a refund, but it won’t be any of the networks that pay billions a year for the broadcast rights; none of whom want to risk disfavor with the league in the next negotiations. There’s just too much long term future stake to risk on a short term loss. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

26 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I need food, water and prefer to have shelter. The NFL and football is a want not a need but I would like to escape for a few hours and actually watch and concentrate on the game of football. Political opinions and social justice causes are abound and have gradually seeped into all aspects of our lives. If I want to watch and hear political opinions I’ll go to one of the multitude of cable news channels to do so. If I want social justice then I will join a cause or protest that I believe in. The NBA ratings have gone down in part because people want to see basketball being played and not be constantly hit over the head with social justice causes. As a fan I’m being lectured by athletes who too often know little about the cases and causes they are championing. Its sad but mixing sports and politics is the cool thing to do right now in order to be woke and everyone has to jump on board with the same thought or you are shunned, ie. Drew Brees. I’m a huge football fan but I am prepared to walk away from the game if the NFL decides to take the NBA model. I’m already going to be reducing my watching to the Bills and will see how things progress. 

And for the many of you who will say good riddance and just deal with it. I’ll ask you this, if the NFL began to push a anti abortion stance before and through its games then would it bother you? Or maybe some some environmental issue that you are not for? I happen to think it would not sit well with those who were on the opposing side. 

I’ll leave with this, sports are a pastime and distraction from a more complicated life. It is supposed to be where everyone in your community can come together no matter the background even for just 3 hours of time. Politics is poison right now and we are injecting it into the “safe spaces” that can bring an entire community together. 

Who would want to be on the opposing side of anti-racism messaging?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Oh, I’m positive about that. The networks will never sue the owners to recover losses due to a player work stoppage. Indeed, there is language in the agreement that says owners still get paid by the networks, regardless.

The competition among the networks to secure broadcasting rights is just too intense. If FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc., sue to recover lost revenue from a canceled game or two , they will simply not be invited back to the table in the next negotiation. Besides, as I implied earlier, it makes no business sense to risk huge future stakes over several future seasons for the sake of attempting to recover the much smaller lost revenues during a short term stoppage.