A "Wildcat Strike" By The NFLPA Coming?

H2o

4 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Can some one teach me how to post GIFS? I’m think about South Park where all the towns people are storming the mayors office going “rabble, rabble, rabble”

Rabble Mob GIF - Rabble Mob SouthPark - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Right, no TV money, no salary cap. Players are celebrities, and celebrities are so full of themselves that they feel they not only have the right to preach, but they feel it is their duty, just lol.  

It may not be their duty, but it is their right.

Look, I roll my eyes when Nick Bosa tweets, but if he were on the Bills, I'd root for him wholeheartedly.

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Right, no TV money, no salary cap. Players are celebrities, and celebrities are so full of themselves that they feel they not only have the right to preach, but they feel it is their duty, just lol.  

This mindset that football popularity will never wane and only grow is hopelessly naive.  In the 30s the three big sports were horse racing, boxing and baseball.  When was the last time you spent money to watch a horse race or a boxing match.

Football players are celebrities and football is entertainment and sure as hell is no "necessity".

And i agree, most celebrities are full of themselves...as are politicians 

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it's unlikely the season will finish on time anyways. If one team has a covid outbreak, my understanding is they would cancel that entire week of games. This is bound to happen eventually. I don't think the sesson will be outright cancelled but I'm expecting delays. They'll have the Super Bowl in April if they have to.

24 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No political agenda here, and not interested in some useless debate about it.   

LOL, it would be really really sad if in fact, a few fans "need" football players.

No sorry, the players earn a living with football, the reality is if anyone 'NEEDS' anyone, it is the players that need the fans.

Not really, the players need the networks. The networks fall all over themselves for football. The fans are such a small piece of that. It will take a MASSIVE migration away from football for the networks to change their tune. That’s not happening. The NFL is bulletproof and the players and league know that. If they do this it will have minimal impact on the bottom line. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Not really, the players need the networks. The networks fall all over themselves for football. The fans are such a small piece of that. It will take a MASSIVE migration away from football for the networks to change their tune. That’s not happening. The NFL is bulletproof and the players and league know that. If they do this it will have minimal impact on the bottom line. 

yeah right, the NFL is bulletproof.

That is what my great grandfather said about horse racing and Boxing.

• Like (+1) 1

Propped up celebrities by bailed out owners tell everyone what to do from palaces hundreds of miles away, making life worse for everyone. Burn down cities. OD in the street off elephant tranquilizer. Sure looks like you love this country to me Doc Rivers.

Make a mistake. Punch or shoot your way out of it. Burn down cities. Only care about your own selfish needs. Ogres do that. I fault no one for driving the violent out of civilization and forcing cruel bullies to live under a bridge until they learn how to be a human.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree, but the NBA viewership issue is real, and they have a much more progressive fan base than the NFL does.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I tend to agree, but the NBA viewership issue is real, and they have a much more progressive fan base than the NFL does.

Certainly, but it isn’t as large and live sports are the last thing these networks have to keep people from cutting the cord. I’m sure that it will evolve but we are nowhere near networks walking away from live sports or even reducing rate. There are a line of others trying to buy in.

So they add an extra week to the season.   Not a problem, weighed against the progress it might bring (even if that progress addresses just 0.0000000000001% of the issue).

The NFL is a television show.   Hard to get upset about that vs. the impact of addressing systemic racisim on millions of people...

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t realize horse racing and boxing in the 1930’s had a $5B annual media rights deal? Stop comparing apples to oranges!!

Talk about comparing apples to oranges!!!!!

So you want to compare sports media revenue in the 30s to what is it today in 2020?  You do realize there was no TV in the thirties?  You do realize that $5 billion today isnt worth anything close to what the inflation adjusted equivalent would be in the 30s.  But i am the one comparing apples to oranges, LOL.

If you cant understand the simple concept the sports popularity evolves over time that is your problem.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Certainly, but it isn’t as large and live sports are the last thing these networks have to keep people from cutting the cord. I’m sure that it will evolve but we are nowhere near networks walking away from live sports or even reducing rate. There are a line of others trying to buy in.

You are right except for that last line- there is no longer the line except for maybe the NFL.  The regional tv networks did not go for nearly as much as expected and usually they have the other big three. I think people like me are not willing to pay to watch guys half walk through a regular season and then turn it on for the playoffs. I think that MLB and NBA are facing that issue and I don't have a solution. I am linking to sale of regional tv channels and MLB money

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-update-the-estimated-local-tv-revenue-for-mlb-teams/