WRs and TEs

CorkScrewHill

Beasley is a different breed of cat.  He's a slot receiver.  Not every WR has the short area savvy and quickness to get open underneath, and Beasley is one of the best at it.  The saying goes, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," but the OP is proposing giving up the bird in hand (Beasley) for just one in the bush (a draft pick).  As a 32 year old player he'd be worth maybe a 4th round pick.  Bad trade all around.

6 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Also, it's important to note that most of those stats were in the second half of the season when Allen started to have a rapport with him.

The uptick in TDs and yards/target came immediately following the Zay Jones trade. But yeah, Allen’s comfort level with him definitely made a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The uptick in TDs and yards/target came immediately following the Zay Jones trade. But yeah, Allen’s comfort level with him definitely made a difference.

Ha, yeah, good point. That's a factor too -- it's weird to recall that Zay was on the team as recently as last year -- but Cole did have a few hiccups early in the season where they just did not seem in sync. 

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yep. Diggs and Brown are by far the 2 best WR’s on the team as we know it. If Davis is all that & those are by far our best 3 WRs, I would find a way to get all 3 on the field as much as possible. Beasley can then either take a seat on the bench or be used for trade bait. All depends on Davis.

Have we never heard of 4 WR sets? Beasley is extremely valuable to our offense and has a rapport with Josh, trading him would be soooo stupid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

We have a perceived excess of good WRs and TEs ...instead of cutting or trading for nothing a younger WR .. why not trade Cole Beasley (same question could be asked about John Brown .. but I love the Josh - Smoke connection)? It would give us a better draft pick at least in theory and more cap room definitely. I would also love to see them unload Tyler Kroft. I am certain the board would have no issue with Kroft leaving, but what about Cole? Note: No disrespect to Cole .. I appreciate what he brings, but looking at it from a trade value / cost / productivity perspective I think we would be better making this type of move.

I don't think so, but the idea isn't as off the wall as most posters think.   I think such a move would be driven by some things we don't know.  

First, it would make sense only if you had a backup who was so good and had such a bright future that you weren't going to be able to keep him off the field.  If there is such a person, it's Gabriel Davis, and as much as the reports out of camp are positive, we aren't hearing reports that he is, right now, a big-time #2 receiver.   That's what he'd have to be, right now, to make a Beasley deal affordable, because he's not a natural slot receiver.  He'd have to be good enough to take Brown's job and force Brown into the slot, which might work.   It's comparable to the Eagles trading that clear starter, Sam Bradford, to Minnesota because Wentz had demonstrated in camp that he was really ready.  I don't Davis is that kind of guy. 

Second, there were some recent reports out of camp about Beasley being unguardable.  As others have noted, Beasley was playing out of position some last season, and he still was excellent.  This year, he'll be more regularly in the slot.  He's a Welker-Edelman type talent in the slot - that's why people say he's unguardable.  When you combine that fact with the fact that the Bills are still trying to get Allen to take the high-percentage throw more often, a guy like Beasley is going to be that high-percentage guy.  He will be the guy who the QB can see at the line of scrimmage will be open, and that's the throw the Bills continue to want Allen to make.  So it seems unlikely to me that the Bills would take that particular option away for Allen's third season, no matter how good Davis may be, because whoever is in the slot won't be able to do what Beasley does.   

Finally, there's just no question that Beane saw in Diggs what we all saw - a true #1 receiver who would allow both Brown and Beasley to return to their natural positions.  I just don't see Beane upsetting that formula without giving it a chance to work for one season. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think so, but the idea isn't as off the wall as most posters think.   I think such a move would be driven by some things we don't know.  

First, it would make sense only if you had a backup who was so good and had such a bright future that you weren't going to be able to keep him off the field.  If there is such a person, it's Gabriel Davis, and as much as the reports out of camp are positive, we aren't hearing reports that he is, right now, a big-time #2 receiver.   That's what he'd have to be, right now, to make a Beasley deal affordable, because he's not a natural slot receiver.  He'd have to be good enough to take Brown's job and force Brown into the slot, which might work.   It's comparable to the Eagles trading that clear starter, Sam Bradford, to Minnesota because Wentz had demonstrated in camp that he was really ready.  I don't Davis is that kind of guy. 

Second, there were some recent reports out of camp about Beasley being unguardable.  As others have noted, Beasley was playing out of position some last season, and he still was excellent.  This year, he'll be more regularly in the slot.  He's a Welker-Edelman type talent in the slot - that's why people say he's unguardable.  When you combine that fact with the fact that the Bills are still trying to get Allen to take the high-percentage throw more often, a guy like Beasley is going to be that high-percentage guy.  He will be the guy who the QB can see at the line of scrimmage will be open, and that's the throw the Bills continue to want Allen to make.  So it seems unlikely to me that the Bills would take that particular option away for Allen's third season, no matter how good Davis may be, because whoever is in the slot won't be able to do what Beasley does.   

Finally, there's just no question that Beane saw in Diggs what we all saw - a true #1 receiver who would allow both Brown and Beasley to return to their natural positions.  I just don't see Beane upsetting that formula without giving it a chance to work for one season. 

We finally get our Welker-Edleman and eveybody just wants to give him up and keep Dookie...:cry: Mind boggling to say the least, it's not like we have Sills V waiting in the wings

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's all that needs to be said.  Well said Billy!

5 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Maybe DiMarco's injury is not as bad as I fear.  Most neck injuries for FBs or LBs are career enders.

Well look at last year at  this time how many concussions Morse had career wise and missed all of training camp.  Posters here were speculating he was going to announce his retirement.  Week 1 rolled around, he never missed  a game.

I take many of these training camp "injuries" to vets with a grain of salt.  On the other hand for young guys like Sweeney and Foster, they are big deal missing playing time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

We have a perceived excess of good WRs and TEs ...instead of cutting or trading for nothing a younger WR .. why not trade Cole Beasley (same question could be asked about John Brown .. but I love the Josh - Smoke connection)? It would give us a better draft pick at least in theory and more cap room definitely. I would also love to see them unload Tyler Kroft. I am certain the board would have no issue with Kroft leaving, but what about Cole? Note: No disrespect to Cole .. I appreciate what he brings, but looking at it from a trade value / cost / productivity perspective I think we would be better making this type of move.

why trade your starting WRs when you are planning on contending this season? Let's finally get rid of the draft picks/cap space talk and move forward to a contending team. This is a ridiculous idea

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

We finally get our Welker-Edleman and eveybody just wants to give him up and keep Dookie...:cry: Mind boggling to say the least, it's not like we have Sills V waiting in the wings

Sills V will most likely be available later this week! 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Again.....you can't FORCE a team to trade with you