Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Oh, you are British?  You control policy in the UK?  You enforce policy in the UK?  Oh, silly me.

You asked for it, I gave it to you, and you deny it.  Google it...there are hundreds upon hundreds of reportings of it.  You need a reality check...

British police have promised not to tolerate any speech that could cause offence on social media regarding Syrian migrants, after arresting a man for Facebook comments made about recent arrivals on his small Scottish Island.
The tiny Isle of Bute in the Firth of Clyde, which had a total population of just 6,498 in 2011, is expected to take in it’s share of 1,000 Syrian migrants, with 12 families already arriving on Isle of Bute since December. Syrian Migrants were also rehomed before Christmas in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverclyde, Renfrewshire and North Ayrshire.
However, commenting on the comparatively huge and sudden influx of Muslim immigrants online just became a very risky business for local residents.
Police have confirmed they have arrested a 41-year-old local man under the Communications Act, after receiving a report of a supposedly “offensive” comment made on Facebook regarding the migrants.
A police spokesman was unequivocal, that any harsh criticism of the Muslim influx would not be “tolerated”. Inspector Ewan Wilson from Dunoon police office told the Guardian following the arrest:
“I hope that the arrest of this individual sends a clear message that Police Scotland will not tolerate any form of activity which could incite hatred and provoke offensive comments on social media”.

Extraordinary moment pregnant mum is arrested and handcuffed in front of her two children over a Facebook post about lockdown - moments before she was due to have an ULTRASOUND

• Zoe Buhler, 28, was handcuffed in her lounge room in front of her children
  • She had created a Facebook event organising a protest in Ballarat, Victoria
  • Police arrested her and she was charged with incitement on Wednesday
  • 'Freedom Day' event called for people to protest against the lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8688793/Pregnant-mum-arrested-Facebook-post-inciting-coronavirus-protest.html

I can go on all night with this.

I do control and advise Government on areas of policy - yes. And for a while the Communications Act (or at least elements thereof) was in my portfolio. 

I don't need a reality check. You need to understand what you are on about. The Syrian refugee comment happened on my watch if you like. It wasn't just criticism. It contained an incitement to violence. 

You are wrong and you don't have a clue what you are on about. But you stay in your conspiracy theory bubble if you like.  

EDIT: oh and your second example..... Ballarat, Victoria is in Australia.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, buffalonian said:

Its a very strange time for so many reasons.  But if the season goes as planned, it will probably exceed your expectations.  I have been a fan of an English Premiere League team for many years.  When that season restarted over the summer, I thought it was going to be lame without the fans in the stadium. While it's not the same, the games were still exciting and fun to watch; and I watched them just as intensely as I ever have before.  I think you might find that as you grow somewhat accustomed to this new unfortunate reality, you will find joy in things that you used to get excited about; like watching the Bills.  No doubt it will be different, but I am so excited to have that enjoyment back admist so much chaos.  There are so many divisions, even on this board, and while I feel very strongly about my own political perspective and the state of our democracy, I am looking forward to having a few hours of solace (or frustration) and distraction each week with all of my fellow Bills fans.  Go Bills!  

I think it took a while for the Premier League restart to get going. The couple of rounds the games were definitely slower and less intense... but it picked up. Was almost as though the players needed to get use to no fans. The NFL might be the same. You can't underestimate the adrenaline rush that walking down that tunnel into a packed arena gives a player. Would not be a surprise to see a slightly different looking product while people adjust to not having that.  

As a fan who moved away while still a child, my experiences of watching the Bills have been on TV.  That's not going to change.  I suspect that it'll be harder for the players to get into the same groove as when they have have fans in the stands, but I think they'll get used to it.    

I'm SUPER excited for the season though.   But since I'm a long time Bills fan, I still have this fear that it'll all come crumbling down and that success is still not in reach.   I would REALLY like to shake that feeling and go back to expecting to crush my foes everytime  and claiming any loss is a fluke.

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Equality = political sideshow 

thank god some of you weren’t alive for Jackie Robinson!!! 

Whoa, you just compared my remarks on today’s political climate to the Jim Crow era...Jackie Robinson was merely the conduit. 

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It sounds to me like you recognize your SIL's ability to have a family without it being a "nuclear" family then. Do I have that right?

That's all that's being stated in the mission statement, despite what some folks are trying to claim. Live and let live.

It’s certainly possible, but not ideal or optimal. She will tell you that. It was unfortunate but necessary in her case. 

My interest in the Bills and the NFL slips a little every year.  I can remember 25-30 years ago agonizing over every loss for a couple of days.  Now it is just a form of entertainment.  Win or lose, the game ends, and I move on to something else. I no longer watch or listen to any pre or post game nonsense.  In fact if it wasn't for fantasy football, I'd probably never watch any NFL games other than the Bills. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not following it as closely.  But I'd add a "yet" to that.  

I didn't think I'd be that into the NBA, MLB or NHL games - but as they go on, I'm more tuned in.  Some of the NBA playoff games have had just as much excitement - I haven't missed the crowds nearly as much as I thought I would.

I think once we start watching the Bills and a few Allen to Diggs TD's, we'll be pumped.  If this is the season that we truly flip the script, beat the Pats and take over the division, I don't want to look back and think I wasn't all in. I want to enjoy every second.  We've waited decades for this, and I'm not going to let something microscopic change the way I feel about it.

• Like (+1) 3

I’m not as invested, because I don’t think the season is going to be played to completion. The players are effectively in bubbles right now. They probably drive to work, then right back home. Once teams have to start traveling, things are going to change. 

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

My interest in the Bills and the NFL slips a little every year.  I can remember 25-30 years ago agonizing over every loss for a couple of days.  Now it is just a form of entertainment.  Win or lose, the game ends, and I move on to something else. I no longer watch or listen to any pre or post game nonsense.  In fact if it wasn't for fantasy football, I'd probably never watch any NFL games other than the Bills. 

This is me except I don't do fantasy football. I'm into the game on Sunday for three hours. Beyond that? Meh.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:46 AM, Dragoon said:

Whoa, you just compared my remarks on today’s political climate to the Jim Crow era...Jackie Robinson was merely the conduit. 

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander is a decent read. Written in 2010 about mass incarceration replacing Jim Crow laws. I recommend it. 

Worth noting that the Fair Housing Act is only about 50 years old. And in my new town of Saratoga Springs, Sundown Laws (POC weren't legally allowed out after dark) weren't taken off the books until sometime in the 70s (77 I believe). In that same town the Commissioner of Public Safety (who is head of the local PD) told my neighbor in a public forum, who very politely reported an incident of racial profiling by the police, that she could have the police removed from the neighborhood and would tell dispatch to no longer respond to calls. Evans Bank in Buffalo didn't "settle" their redlining charges from the state until 2015. So before we go ahead and say it "was different then", her writing deserves much credence on the topic. 

Edited by Mango
definitely left out the title of the book
  • Like (+1) 3

On 9/2/2020 at 7:46 PM, TwistofFate said:

NFL's decal ruling disappoints Cowboys, but it won't stop team's support for Dallas police, Jerry Jones says

Players and coaches opened this camp by walking onto the field, arms linked, with city officials and family members of the officers that were slain in downtown Dallas in July. The Arm in Arm decal is worn by the players in this camp.

But NFL officials informed the Cowboys Wednesday afternoon that the club would have to remove those decals for this weekend's game against the Los Angeles Rams and every other preseason matchup.

Black Lives Matter: NFL plans for social justice decal stickers on helmets

League has not previously allowed such messaging, except for annual salutes to military and campaign to raise awareness around breast cancer

The NFL is planning to allow players to have decal stickers on the back of their helmets bearing names or initials of victims of systemic racism and police violence.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2016/08/12/nfl-s-decal-ruling-disappoints-cowboys-but-it-won-t-stop-team-s-support-for-dallas-police-jerry-jones-says/

Its the disgusting display of hypocrisy that bothers me.  Stay the hell out of it, or allow it for EVERYONE...that is EQUALITY.

You mean the Dallas police who just has one of their officers execute a black man for the crime of being in his own apartment???

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Or how about the 5 police officers killed, 7 others injured a few years ago?

Completely terrible as well and I’m glad that idiot got taken out.  

but it’s unfortunately two different things.  When you sign up to be an officer, you know the risk.  That’s why they are held to a higher standard than a lot of the garbage they deal with.  You can’t just make mistakes as a police officer.  That’s the main message people are saying.  And if they do make those mistakes, they need to be held accountable, which the overwhelmingly amount of the time they are not.  

I think every rational person knows how important police are so it’s a weird thing to try to politicize.  

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely terrible as well and I’m glad that idiot got taken out.  

but it’s unfortunately two different things.  When you sign up to be an officer, you know the risk.  That’s why they are held to a higher standard than a lot of the garbage they deal with.  You can’t just make mistakes as a police officer.  That’s the main message people are saying.  And if they do make those mistakes, they need to be held accountable, which the overwhelmingly amount of the time they are not.  

I think every rational person knows how important police are so it’s a weird thing to try to politicize.  

I hear your point.  I just think that people are forgetting that Police Lives Matter as well.  48 were killed last year.   

I just don't know what you expect a Cop to do if a guy isn't responding to a taser and you can't take him down to the ground and get on top of him.  I've got many friends who are Cops and it nearly makes the job impossible.  

Get off social media, stop watching the news.  Trust me.  If this stuff is affecting you this much then you should distance yourself from it.  I stopped doing social media for the most part a couple years ago because of all the negativity.  It has changed my attitude completely just by not seeing it all the time.  And “news” media purposefully generates conflict to get higher ratings.  Its proven to lead to higher rating and they take advantage of it.

Anyway, im pumped for the season.  Cant believe its only a week away.  Once it is all of the sudden here, its gonna be just like any to me except this year i have higher hopes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hear your point.  I just think that people are forgetting that Police Lives Matter as well.  48 were killed last year.   

I just don't know what you expect a Cop to do if a guy isn't responding to a taser and you can't take him down to the ground and get on top of him.  I've got many friends who are Cops and it nearly makes the job impossible.  

The problem with our country again is it’s the loudest idiots making the most noise.  No cop should get killed for doing their job.  All their lives matter. 

but when a black man gets killed for selling cigarettes while a loser incel with a bowl cut who massacred a black church group gets picked up by the cops and taken to Burger King, that kinda seems a bit uneven. 

17 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Get off social media, stop watching the news.  Trust me.  If this stuff is affecting you this much then you should distance yourself from it.  I stopped doing social media for the most part a couple years ago because of all the negativity.  It has changed my attitude completely just by not seeing it all the time.  And “news” media purposefully generates conflict to get higher ratings.  Its proven to lead to higher rating and they take advantage of it.

Anyway, im pumped for the season.  Cant believe its only a week away.  Once it is all of the sudden here, its gonna be just like any to me except this year i have higher hopes.

I definitely agree with that.  News and social media are awful.  Twitter, while it has some great things, gives a voice to people who shouldn’t have a voice.