Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

16 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say it's more about a stable environment than any specific grouping of people.

I’d agree with that, though I think the most common way to have a stable environment is with a traditional nuclear family. Having mother and father figures that show healthy relationships and how a responsible adult behaves in each role is helpful, IMO. It’s certainly not the ONLY way to raise a child to be successful, but it helps the odds. (See the stats Marcellus pointed out in the clip.) Of course, every situation is different and sometimes getting rid of a bad apple in the household can be the best option. 

There is not one correct answer, that is for sure. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha. Believe me when I tell you I know what the Communications Act says and is used for. I used to hold policy responsiblity for it. Maybe I am the "liberal powers that be"? That would be interesting. 

It is used not to silence anything that is not agreed with. It is used to charge people using electronic means to make death threats and threats of physical violence. If you really think the authorities here in the UK are running around shutting down legitimate expression via the communications act then I can assure you 100% that you are most definitely wrong. 

Oh, you are British?  You control policy in the UK?  You enforce policy in the UK?  Oh, silly me.

You asked for it, I gave it to you, and you deny it.  Google it...there are hundreds upon hundreds of reportings of it.  You need a reality check...

British police have promised not to tolerate any speech that could cause offence on social media regarding Syrian migrants, after arresting a man for Facebook comments made about recent arrivals on his small Scottish Island.
The tiny Isle of Bute in the Firth of Clyde, which had a total population of just 6,498 in 2011, is expected to take in it’s share of 1,000 Syrian migrants, with 12 families already arriving on Isle of Bute since December. Syrian Migrants were also rehomed before Christmas in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverclyde, Renfrewshire and North Ayrshire.
However, commenting on the comparatively huge and sudden influx of Muslim immigrants online just became a very risky business for local residents.
Police have confirmed they have arrested a 41-year-old local man under the Communications Act, after receiving a report of a supposedly “offensive” comment made on Facebook regarding the migrants.
A police spokesman was unequivocal, that any harsh criticism of the Muslim influx would not be “tolerated”. Inspector Ewan Wilson from Dunoon police office told the Guardian following the arrest:
“I hope that the arrest of this individual sends a clear message that Police Scotland will not tolerate any form of activity which could incite hatred and provoke offensive comments on social media”.

Extraordinary moment pregnant mum is arrested and handcuffed in front of her two children over a Facebook post about lockdown - moments before she was due to have an ULTRASOUND

• Zoe Buhler, 28, was handcuffed in her lounge room in front of her children
  • She had created a Facebook event organising a protest in Ballarat, Victoria
  • Police arrested her and she was charged with incitement on Wednesday
  • 'Freedom Day' event called for people to protest against the lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8688793/Pregnant-mum-arrested-Facebook-post-inciting-coronavirus-protest.html

I can go on all night with this.

Edited by TwistofFate

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’d agree with that, though I think the most common way to have a stable environment is with a traditional nuclear family. Having mother and father figures that show healthy relationships and how a responsible adult behaves in each role is helpful, IMO. It’s certainly not the ONLY way to raise a child to be successful, but it helps the odds. (See the stats Marcellus pointed out in the clip.) Of course, every situation is different and sometimes getting rid of a bad apple in the household can be the best option. 

The is not one correct answer, that is for sure. 

That's the point. Also it was not uncommon years ago, and still is in certain circles, for people to be outcast for not having children altogether.

As someone that has been in the same unmarried and childless monogamous relationship for the last 10 years, I'm routinely chastised for it. If it was solely about my feelings, we'd never get married.

Is it a big deal to me? No, but it exists. I don't let people put the pressure on me to make me feel like what I consider a family is not a family. I don't care what they think. I could see how in some situations that might be harder though, especially in cultures with strong ties to family tradition.

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

I can go on all night with this.

image.thumb.png.a643b3de3305bd6981c159564655cd9c.png

I bet you can.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why are you even bothering with those three live games???  Why don't you just go play Madden where virtual players don't have lives outside of your play station

NFL's decal ruling disappoints Cowboys, but it won't stop team's support for Dallas police, Jerry Jones says

Players and coaches opened this camp by walking onto the field, arms linked, with city officials and family members of the officers that were slain in downtown Dallas in July. The Arm in Arm decal is worn by the players in this camp.

But NFL officials informed the Cowboys Wednesday afternoon that the club would have to remove those decals for this weekend's game against the Los Angeles Rams and every other preseason matchup.

Black Lives Matter: NFL plans for social justice decal stickers on helmets

League has not previously allowed such messaging, except for annual salutes to military and campaign to raise awareness around breast cancer

The NFL is planning to allow players to have decal stickers on the back of their helmets bearing names or initials of victims of systemic racism and police violence.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2016/08/12/nfl-s-decal-ruling-disappoints-cowboys-but-it-won-t-stop-team-s-support-for-dallas-police-jerry-jones-says/

Its the disgusting display of hypocrisy that bothers me.  Stay the hell out of it, or allow it for EVERYONE...that is EQUALITY.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I can't wait to see what plays out. With all the racial problems on display in America, who to better have an inside look at both the systemic racism, poverty, incarceration and lack of opportunity than the few who have made it through. If this is just about football plays and not the football players, then you are missing the real story. I will applaud any display of the 1st Amendment. Standing, Saluting, Kneeling. Going to the bathroom or getting a beer. Love this country.

Edited by BMWR100RT
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's the point. Also it was not uncommon years ago, and still is in certain circles, for people to be outcast for not having children altogether.

As someone that has been in the same unmarried and childless monogamous relationship for the last 10 years, I'm routinely chastised for it. If it was solely about my feelings, we'd never get married.

Is it a big deal to me? No, but it exists. I don't let people put the pressure on me to make me feel like what I consider a family is not a family. I don't care what they think. I could see how in some situations that might be harder though, especially in cultures with strong ties to family tradition.

image.thumb.png.a643b3de3305bd6981c159564655cd9c.png

I bet you can.

Anyone who wants to judge you over that is a person who’s opinions would mean very little to me. Period. 

My SIL is divorced with a single daughter who is a successful doctor in Philly. She has been with a divorced guy from Argentina about a decade. Her mom struggled with it initially calling him “that boy” for years despite him being in his 50’s. It was amusing, almost cute. That was just my MIL. They’re happy, so I’m happy for them. He works in NYC, she’s in PA not far away. It’s a cool situation and we love getting together with them. 

You may not sense this, but I’m a “judge less” kind of guy. I have beliefs, but it’s not my job to tell anyone else how to live, except in extreme situations. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm not as excited about this season as I normally am, hopefully when the season starts It'll ramp up.

For me it's all because of Covid and nothing else. Covid toned down the draft, not politics. Covid did away with mini camps, not politics. Covid moved training camp out of Rochester and made news coming out of Buffalo forbidden, not politics. The football season could be brought to an abrupt end because of Covid, hopefully not politics. I could see the Bills being 7-0 when the season is brought to a premature end and Goodell giving the Bills the #32 slot in the 2021 draft, but no title.

If the players want to take a knee before the game because of injustice, all the power to them and they are in their rights to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I'm not as excited about this season as I normally am, hopefully when the season starts It'll ramp up.

For me it's all because of Covid and nothing else. Covid toned down the draft, not politics. Covid did away with mini camps, not politics. Covid moved training camp out of Rochester and made news coming out of Buffalo forbidden, not politics. The football season could be brought to an abrupt end because of Covid, hopefully not politics. I could see the Bills being 7-0 when the season is brought to a premature end and Goodell giving the Bills the #32 slot in the 2021 draft, but no title.

If the players want to take a knee before the game because of injustice, all the power to them and they are in their rights to do so.

Agreed. The pandemic has sucked the joy out of most things this year. It’s just harder to get psyched up for football because it’s just so trivial in the grand scheme of things. I’m hoping I start feeling it when we kickoff in a week and a half. 

• Like (+1) 1

Its a very strange time for so many reasons.  But if the season goes as planned, it will probably exceed your expectations.  I have been a fan of an English Premiere League team for many years.  When that season restarted over the summer, I thought it was going to be lame without the fans in the stadium. While it's not the same, the games were still exciting and fun to watch; and I watched them just as intensely as I ever have before.  I think you might find that as you grow somewhat accustomed to this new unfortunate reality, you will find joy in things that you used to get excited about; like watching the Bills.  No doubt it will be different, but I am so excited to have that enjoyment back admist so much chaos.  There are so many divisions, even on this board, and while I feel very strongly about my own political perspective and the state of our democracy, I am looking forward to having a few hours of solace (or frustration) and distraction each week with all of my fellow Bills fans.  Go Bills!  

Edited by buffalonian
spelling

As interested as I am in Pegula tennis match or anything about the Pegula's personal lives or in the continual roaring hagiographies of them here.

Ok, not that disinterested but not really into it. No fans here as of now, foregoing ST this season, knowing this will probably go sides due to covid, the competitive advantage some teams have with fans in the stands, greedy NFL owners, racist NFL owners, perverted NFL owners. It's hard to care much about this season and sport anymore and I suspect that my STH days will end. And just like when you cut the cord with cable, you realize it opens your world up to a whole host of things you've been blowing off to waste away staring at a giant screen.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, Cal said:

I don't know. I'm not as excited for football as normal. Maybe it's the political bs that we are going to have to see, listen too before and after each game or the other stuff we have to deal with nowadays. Also the no preseason and games with no fans.

We've had season tickets for 50 years in my family, will be the one of the first ones in when they allow any amount of fans. I really don't care as much. We've seen the NBA ratings are not great with limited sports on. People may be fed up and sports is no longer a outlet. Is it just me? 

Nevertheless. Go Bills!

It's been that way for everyone.  This has been a very strange year and off-season, and all of the annual rituals have been changed or deleted this season.  Though to get into this.

Wait until they start playing games with empty stadiums!  It's going to be weird, and most definitely not normal or right.

I'll be glad when 2021 gets here.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:31 PM, brianthomas said:

If anything I'm less invested in this season knowing we're keeping the train whistle. Picturing how it'll sound even louder without fans making noise to blunt its ghastliness makes me shudder at the thought.

But I love our Bills. It'd be ridiculous to me hearing anyone choosing not to watch them because of that whistle, and in the whistles case you'd have more of a reason not to, since its wailing away over & over again thru out the game

As an aside, It'll actually be a brand new game day experience being able to hear all the communication on the field since no fans will be there.

Or perhaps it'll be just like your usual game in Miami :P

I think im the one fan who doesn't mind the train whistle.... and oddly enough I got hit by a literal train the night after our WC loss this year ?‍♂️

Edited by BillsShredder83

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Anyone who wants to judge you over that is a person who’s opinions would mean very little to me. Period. 

My SIL is divorced with a single daughter who is a successful doctor in Philly. She has been with a divorced guy from Argentina about a decade. Her mom struggled with it initially calling him “that boy” for years despite him being in his 50’s. It was amusing, almost cute. That was just my MIL. They’re happy, so I’m happy for them. He works in NYC, she’s in PA not far away. It’s a cool situation and we love getting together with them. 

You may not sense this, but I’m a “judge less” kind of guy. I have beliefs, but it’s not my job to tell anyone else how to live, except in extreme situations. 

It sounds to me like you recognize your SIL's ability to have a family without it being a "nuclear" family then. Do I have that right?

That's all that's being stated in the mission statement, despite what some folks are trying to claim. Live and let live.

Edited by BullBuchanan