Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

Yes, I'm less invested though hopefully it'll change once next Sunday rolls around.

Politics in football isn't that big a deal to me (I don't watch much pre or post game), but yeah, the deluge of bad and/or controversial news has cast a pall over everything.  The biggest global story is obviously the virus, and the resulting impact of no fans and no pre-season has made football feel less real this year.

• Like (+1) 2

It's been a real strange last 10 months. Lost an important family member to suicide two days before Turkey Day last year. So while the Dallas game was awesome, I kinda sat there dumbfounded as I watched. Then my wife and I miscarried. And then the rona. And then adios my job. Despite the miscarriage, we're expecting the next Lil' Bills fan by the end of January. Tensions in this country have only gotten worse. I don't think our "leadership" has done a very good job in handling a pandemic. Other democratic countries who looked way worse off to begin with now have things under control and the US doesn't, which is an embarrassment. Seems like a game feels trivial in all of this right now. And like it or not, politics and current event issues are gonna be a part of the season. Everyone gets a say, that's democracy, that's how this ***** works. That's why I've never understood the morons who always scream "stick to [name of profession]." I've always wanted to ask them, well what do you do, Cleetus?! You a forklift operator? Stick to forklifts! You a janitor? Stick to floor buffering! It's just so dumb. 

All that said, yeah, I'm not as focused on da foosball as I normally would be but I'll still pay attention this season. Just the Bills luck that they've put together one of their best teams in two decades and the world decides to fall apart. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I equate far right with overt conservatism, fiscal discipline, standing against Russia  and such.  The current regime is the opposite. 

Politically speaking fiscal discipline and  standing against Russia are more center-right policies. IF you're looking for an example of that in American politics, the closest would be the Democratic Party. Globally speaking however, "far-right" is much more about nationalism, anti-union sentiment, corporatism, religious extremism, "traditional values", elimination of economic safety nets, and imperial practices.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Politically speaking fiscal discipline and  standing against Russia are more center-right policies. IF you're looking for an example of that in American politics, the closest would be the Democratic Party. Globally speaking however, "far-right" is much more about nationalism, anti-union sentiment, corporatism, religious extremism, "traditional values", elimination of economic safety nets, and imperial practices.

I’m anti-union (I view unions as the single biggest impediment to progress as a society and believe unions for govt employees should be outlawed), pro-corporate, and completely against economic safety nets.  But yet according to some of the zombies in this thread I’m a left-wing zealot.  Go figure!

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m anti-union (I view unions as the single biggest impediment to progress as a society and believe unions for govt employees should be outlawed), pro-corporate, and completely against economic safety nets.  But yet according to some of the zombies in this thread I’m a left-wing zealot.  Go figure!

That's because America as a whole is drastically to the right compared to most countries in the world. Our whole sense of scale is off kilter

Edit: those things that you mentioned are what should be defined as "politics". I have no problem with you holding those beliefs even if I oppose all of them, and I don't need you to believe otherwise, even if I'd prefer it. That's not what's being referred to as "politics in sports" most of the time though.

Edited by BullBuchanan

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yea in the UK you would be firmly right of centre.

• Like (+1) 1

100% pumped for the NFL to start.   Don't really follow other sports until finals maybe, but read about the Bills every day and follow them like they're my own child.

Sincerely sorry for those fans that don't share my enthusiasm.   I guess you must have your reasons.  I read a few negative posts and I just don't get it at all.

Live in the light people!   We have a fun team and a great season ahead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

It's weird you don't see the irony of asking for "balance" when that's exactly what the movement and players are asking for from our society. 

It's all about intent. Like with the cops, it seems that the BLM movement, left and others assume, in virtually every scenario, that the cop was racist in their intent to shoot someone. And while in some cases this IS true (and that has to stop we all agree there), it is very dangerous to automatically assume this being the case in every situation, until more facts come out.

If the 'movement' truly stood for what some believe it does, count me in, 100 percent. But when you look deeper, its evident they have much bigger and more dangerous agendas them most believe based on what they say and actions. We do need change in our policing, but we don't need to complete change America as we know it to do so, as BLM is out to do.

In the NFL's case with the slogans that they are putting in the end zone, is the intent towards ALL races when it comes to racism? Or is it going along with the narrative that these movements are only targeting whites that are racist? We need clarification from the league, because I am going to cautiously assume here these slogans fall right in line with the BLM movement, which appears to be only interested in one race against another in these cases.

This is a real roll of the dice by the NFL here; To allow players to put the names of the victims on their helmets and not allow Dallas to put the names of slain cops in Dallas a few years ago, it creates a tricky precedent. 

From my vantage point I feel this can only hurt their product in the short term. I stand to be corrected if that isn't the case.

Another thing; instead of using protests and social media on both sides, its about time we get all these folks together in person. I would bet most of this can be resolved if those involved would meet in person and have discussions about it and move towards resolution.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

100% pumped for the NFL to start.   Don't really follow other sports until finals maybe, but read about the Bills every day and follow them like they're my own child.

Sincerely sorry for those fans that don't share my enthusiasm.   I guess you must have your reasons.  I read a few negative posts and I just don't get it at all.

Live in the light people!   We have a fun team and a great season ahead.

THIS times a million - minus the other sports part, but nothing like the Bills and football. 

I dont think ive ever been MORE excited for a season, and I cant even go watch from my seasons!!!!

Just now, Like A Mofo said:

It's all about intent. Like with the cops, it seems that the BLM movement, left and others assume, in virtually every scenario, that the cop was racist in their intent to shoot someone. And while in some cases this IS true (and that has to stop we all agree there), it is very dangerous to automatically assume this being the case in every situation, until more facts come out.

I don't think this is the picture that people are painting. What's being said is that the problem is systemic rather than individual.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea in the UK you would be firmly right of centre.

And part of the reason for this is that we are OBSESSED with race in this country.  It dominates other things (on both ends of the political spectrum).  There are millions of folks - some in this thread - who work crappy jobs with no prospect of advancement, are routinely lied to by the politicians they support, and are utterly laughed at and disposed of by corporate America - and yet they cannot get their minds off of anything other than racial grievances and the idea that somehow, in some way, they are being held back because of someone with different-color skin.  And in the case of the far right, no matter how much their politicians lie, steal and cheat, at least it’s better than a brown-skinned person getting to do and say what they want, take their jobs, compete for their women, etc.  These thoughts dominate the American mind.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills are going to have the best team they've had since the 90's.

The Patriots are going to have the worst team they've had since the 90's.

It's been 20 years since we've had this much to be excited about ... and you're not excited because of some political bs?

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't think this is the picture that people are painting. What's being said is that the problem is systemic rather than individual.

Agreed. In some ways it is a bit like the argument about the Bills in the 00s and early 10s. Did the Bills suck for so long because every individual sucked or did they suck for so long because institutionally the culture and the environment that allows for success was not in place? I have always believed it to be the latter. You can believe that every incident is an individual isolated incident of a bad apple spoiling the barrel or you can believe that fundamentally the barrel is broken.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. In some ways it is a bit like the argument about the Bills in the 00s and early 10s. Did the Bills suck for so long because every individual sucked or did they suck for so long because institutionally the culture and the environment that allows for success was not in place? I have always believed it to be the latter. You can believe that every incident is an individual isolated incident of a bad apple spoiling the barrel or you can believe that fundamentally the barrel is broken.

Perhaps we should call this The Ryan O'Reilly Effect.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Well Pete, you are indeed Prickly.   :)

I honestly don’t know the answer to this: has the NFL actually sent any money the the organization that is Black Lives Matter? Or have they just supported the obvious philosophy that black lives matter. These are two very different things. 

I happen to believe that an intact nuclear family improves the likelihood of success for children. Marcellus indicates BLM (the organization) disagrees, so there needs to be a distinction between the obvious and the bogus organization which is collecting money from those unaware of the difference. 

At this point anyone using the term "black lives matter" certainly knows that it refers directly to the organization. There are plenty of other ways to get across the sentiment of black lives mattering than using the the same term. But then,  you already know that, but want to act disingenuous....because you are full of crap..

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Im going to respectfully disagree here on the picture that is being painted. Next time there is a cop shooting where it is not a white cop vs black victim, let me know the games leagues sit out at, the kneeling taking place, and the social media outrage displayed.