WR strategy - Dont cut - Trade for conditional 7th round picks

We have the entire slate of WRs returning from 2019 and added three more bodies to that group - Diggs, Davis and Hodgins. Clearly we cant carry 9 WRs on the roster - so have to leave 2-3 WRs unprotected - either through cuts or on PS.

The Jets'  WR slate is worse than the Bills circa 2018 (with Jones and Foster). Mims, Perriman, Berrios, Hogan and Crowder are all questionable with varying degrees of injuries.  I am almost positive that the WR(s) cut by us is (are) going to be gobbled up by the Jets. Now Packers and 49ers also need WRs in the worst way possible. But Jets will have waiver claim priority on those teams.

That is why I am hoping the Bills trade them to the NFC (Packers / 49ers) netting conditional 7th rounders if necessary. Why leave these nice WRs for our division foes?

Of course there is also the danger of our PS guys being signed outright by the Jets - but that is a risk we have to live with.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jasman said:

Good theory, but this may be a bad year to trade surplus WR's. 15% of players drafted in 2020 were WR's, 37 of them.  A lot of teams will have pretty decent WR's they will be cutting or trying to trade.  

And they haven't seen those guys fail in games yet. What usually necessitates trades around cutdowns is a team realising that 6th rounder they just drafted might not be ready to play on Sundays after they suck in a pre-season game against the Detroit Lions 3rd stringers..... that hasn't happened this year. Teams will continue to kid themselves that the guys they invested in are going to be hidden gems longer than in a normal year IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Thanks. I’m sure Beane hasn’t thought about this strategy.    ?

With all due respect, what part of my post implies that Beane needs our advice with this strategy?

12 minutes ago, jasman said:

Good theory, but this may be a bad year to trade surplus WR's. 15% of players drafted in 2020 were WR's, 37 of them.  A lot of teams will have pretty decent WR's they will be cutting or trying to trade.  

But not many teams have WR #7-9 quality that we have. The quality of our "cut" WRs will be higher than most teams.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And they haven't seen those guys fail in games yet. What usually necessitates trades around cutdowns is a team realising that 6th rounder they just drafted might not be ready to play on Sundays after they suck in a pre-season game against the Detroit Lions 3rd stringers..... that hasn't happened this year. Teams will continue to kid themselves that the guys they invested in are going to be hidden gems longer than in a normal year IMO.

the injury position for the Jets and 49ers is such that they may not even be able to see their WRs perform in games. their message boards are filled with discussing WR cut prospects on other teams.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

With all due respect, what part of my post implies that Beane needs our advice with this strategy?

But not many teams have WR #7-9 quality that we have. The quality of our "cut" WRs will be higher than most teams.

the injury position for the Jets and 49ers is such that they may not even be able to see their WRs perform in games. their message boards are filled with discussing WR cut prospects on other teams.

and That inspired you to clutter the Board with this??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm sure Beane has made other teams know about the availability of some receivers,  but there really isn't that much trade value among the extra guys.  Robert Foster  has regressed and is a fringe player.  Isaiah McKenzie has some ability as a special teamer and a gadget player, but WR needy teams aren't looking first for gadget players.  He's really unproven as a WR.  Duke Williams might hook up with somebody but he hasn't shown all that much that he would command a draft pick in a trade.  

The one area where I think Buffalo has some real trade bait is at interior offensive linemen.

59 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have the entire slate of WRs returning from 2019 and added three more bodies to that group - Diggs, Davis and Hodgins. Clearly we cant carry 9 WRs on the roster - so have to leave 2-3 WRs unprotected - either through cuts or on PS.

The Jets'  WR slate is worse than the Bills circa 2018 (with Jones and Foster). Mims, Perriman, Berrios, Hogan and Crowder are all questionable with varying degrees of injuries.  I am almost positive that the WR(s) cut by us is (are) going to be gobbled up by the Jets. Now Packers and 49ers also need WRs in the worst way possible. But Jets will have waiver claim priority on those teams.

That is why I am hoping the Bills trade them to the NFC (Packers / 49ers) netting conditional 7th rounders if necessary. Why leave these nice WRs for our division foes?

Of course there is also the danger of our PS guys being signed outright by the Jets - but that is a risk we have to live with.

Just a test with the new server.  Thought maybe I needed to log in again, but it doesn't look like it. 

So besides all the obvious comments already being made, you also need to a trading partner.  That becomes harder too when all the other teams know you're dumping these guys in a couple of days anyway.  The only advantage a team has in making a trade for one of them is they then get exclusive rights to him.  So is that really worth a trade? 

You specifically mention SF and Green Bay, well I'd think if I'm the GM of either of those teams, also throw in Saints, Cowboys, Tampa, Minn, Atlanta, Seattle, plus AFC teams like KC, and Pitt I'd assume I'd have a leg up on the competition to start with as most WR would like to go to a team with a good to great QB, so again why bother making the trade.  A more likely trading partner might be a bad team as they'd have a harder chance signing him as a FA, but is it worth the trade.

I'm sure Beane is already advertising that he's listening to all offers for Duke, Foster, and McKenzie.  Even if he wanted to keep one of them, likely would take an offer instead.

• Like (+1) 1

If there had been a slate of preseason games this year, it'd be easier to trade some of these guys, with injuries & being able to showcase them more.

Come final cut day, theres gonna be a lot of players released with limited film on. May the best GM win

Edited by brianthomas

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

lol no. that was just evidence corroborating the sorry state of those teams WRs. My post was solely "inspired" by how good I feel about our WR core and how sad I would be if any of them ended up on the Jets. apologies for the "clutter".

46 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I'm not sure that any of our potential WR cuts will even be considered elsewhere.  None of them are the kinds of players that can carry a team.  If picked up, they are more than likely to end up as depth players on a bad team or on a practice squad.  I doubt that Beane is worried about it.

Ye of little faith. tsk tsk tsk.

Quite likely the NJ Jests do not have any of their Week 1 starting WRs on their roster right now. That said, they could sign talented guys next week, and with the new, prolonged process to bring in new players, they may get just a few days with Darnold before facing one of the top secondaries in the league.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

How dare you? This is the 2nd greatest thread ever, 2nd only to Nanker's "I Started a Thread" thread over in PPP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1