ESPN top 100 season prediction - 2 Bills make it

This slotting for white is fair and he's listed as the #2 corner behind gilmore. Diggs may be a little low but the list is coming from ESPN which means they were thinking much more about how bad they think Allen is as opposed to how good Diggs can be.

I read the ESPN+ article predicting players that were excluded but would be on next years list. Edmunds was mentioned.

7 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

"Signature stat: White had 84 targets without allowing a touchdown when he was targeted as the nearest defender in coverage. Only Stephon Gilmore had more targets (96) without allowing a TD, per NFL Next Gen Stats."

Did I only imagine John Brown toasting Gilmore for that TD in Foxboro last year?

Guess the Stats guys believe McCourty the S was held responsible on deep route 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

"Signature stat: White had 84 targets without allowing a touchdown when he was targeted as the nearest defender in coverage. Only Stephon Gilmore had more targets (96) without allowing a TD, per NFL Next Gen Stats."

Did I only imagine John Brown toasting Gilmore for that TD in Foxboro last year?

It was so bad for him that they counted it against the safety.

• Haha (+1) 5

As the rules keep changing towards college rules which is all out scoring I feel that the CB position will be devalued. Soon it will almost be impossible for a man or zone CB to stop someone like Brown, Ruggs or any of the top 40 WR’s. We are already seeing a huge increase in nickel and dime defense. Having 3 solid CB’s and 2 good FS’s In the Nickel will soon be the base defense in the NFL. 

14 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

As the rules keep changing towards college rules which is all out scoring I feel that the CB position will be devalued. Soon it will almost be impossible for a man or zone CB to stop someone like Brown, Ruggs or any of the top 40 WR’s. We are already seeing a huge increase in nickel and dime defense. Having 3 solid CB’s and 2 good FS’s In the Nickel will soon be the base defense in the NFL. 

Not happening.  The CB position will be more valued as teams pass more.  It's the second most important position on defense behind a pass rusher and some will argue it's actually the most important.  

It will never be impossible to cover the top 40 WR's.  The way you're talking, the NFL average point per game is going to be like 50 ppg.

36 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This is no doubt the trend. But there is some value to bucking the trend as well. For example, Seattle had success for years with just having a single safety Earl Thomas patrolling the deep. Just last year, the Pats had the #1 rated defense last year with Cover 0 - they left the entire deep back open and challenged QBs to beat them by throwing deep and had a lot of success. 

That is the beauty of football - offenses and defenses each have to pick their poison - go heavy on one dimension and you are liable to get beaten on the other side. This is a constantly evolving chess game. 

48 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Yes and no... there were also 4 2000 yard rushers in college last year.  There were also 4 teams that allowed fewer than 14 points per game.  

I think Air-raid style, no-huddle offices have a place.  But in the NFL the LBs are bigger and faster.  The corners are faster.  Those boundary zone read rushes tend to get stuffed a lot more.  You're less likely to have the same separation you get in college where it seems like QBs are just throwing to wide open receivers - passes get broken up.  Pressure gets there faster.  Tacklings so much better.  Players are smarter.  It's a different game in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

This is no doubt the trend. But there is some value to bucking the trend as well. For example, Seattle had success for years with just having a single safety Earl Thomas patrolling the deep. Just last year, the Pats had the #1 rated defense last year with Cover 0 - they left the entire deep back open and challenged QBs to beat them by throwing deep and had a lot of success. 

That is the beauty of football - offenses and defenses each have to pick their poison - go heavy on one dimension and you are liable to get beaten on the other side. This is a constantly evolving chess game. 

Yeah - those pass-first short passing offenses struggle with tight man coverage.  You're forced to adjust from what you're good at - QBs have to make quick decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Good prediction - just a few years too late.  

The Nickel became the base defense in the NFL back in 2011.    That was the first year that defenses had 5 (or more) DBs in coverage on more than half the snaps.

These days teams have 5 (or more) DBs on 2 out of 3 plays - more or less.  

It seems to me - in this pass happy league - CBs are more important than ever.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-the-nickel-defense-is-the-new-base-defense-in-the-nfl/

Edited by hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Two Bills on here....

#26 and #79.  It's not Cody Ford or Harrison Phillips if you guys are wondering.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29766900/nfl-rank-predicting-best-100-players-2020-nfl-season

Given that those 100 spots are divided up by 32 teams, you'd expect the Bills to have at least 3 or 4 players ranked.  I'm not sure ESPN gives us enough credit.  

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Given that those 100 spots are divided up by 32 teams, you'd expect the Bills to have at least 3 or 4 players ranked.  I'm not sure ESPN gives us enough credit.  

I dont have too much beef with ESPN on just having 2 players up there. The key point is that the way the roster has been constructed, Bills will be disproportionately represented higher in the next 100. Our depth in  terms of good, but not great players will be our calling card. Dawkins, Hughes, Milano, Morse, Brown, Hyde, Poyer and Beasley will likely never crack the list but will be perennially in the next 100 list.

That being said, if all goes to plan, Allen, Edmunds, Singletary, Oliver and maybe, even Knox, should be joining White and Diggs in the 2021 list.

13 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I dont have too much beef with ESPN on just having 2 players up there. The key point is that the way the roster has been constructed, Bills will be disproportionately represented higher in the next 100. Our depth in  terms of good, but not great players will be our calling card. Dawkins, Hughes, Milano, Morse, Brown, Hyde, Poyer and Beasley will likely never crack the list but will be perennially in the next 100 list.

That being said, if all goes to plan, Allen, Edmunds, Singletary, Oliver and maybe, even Knox, should be joining White and Diggs in the 2021 list.

Good point.  After I posted, I started thinking who else on the Bills belonged in the top 100 and while you could make a case for Edmunds, there really wasn't anyone who was a slam-dunk choice.  

What Beane and McD have created is a team with a lot of good players but few real superstars.   I'm sure they're drafting for superstars but in free agency, Beane is more interested in the affordable solid starter and strong backup than he is in the overpriced Pro Bowler.  

Development of our younger draftees and a playoff run this year (fingers crossed) will put more Bills on the ESPN radar.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

ESPN has never favored Buffalo. Who cares. Edmunds and Allen will join that list next year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess on average you expect each team to have 3 guys... then you have teams with multiple superstars.

i am curious which wrs they list ahead of Diggs.  

The stat line I most like for him.... #2in the nfl in 2019 yards per target....

Since you asked - Thomas, Hopkins, Hill, Jones, Evans, Adams, Beckham, Godwin, Allen, Golladay were ranked higher - so he came in #11. Thielen, AJ Brown and Ju-Ju were the next three. He had a legitimate case to be ranked as high as #7 ahead of Beckham, Godwin, Allen and Golladay - but could also have been ranked after the next three at #14.

The stat cited in the article is

Diggs' plus-10.7% catch percentage above expectation in 2019 was third best in the NFL, per NFL Next Gen Stats (minimum 50 targets).