Barnwell - Bills biggest achilles heel

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

It's a full buy-in.  Good TE's, speed outside, and multiple running backs.  Lamar helps with the big splashes and chunks, but they'll run it all day if you can't stop them.  Their backs had almost 400 carries and almost 2000 yards.  Thats a 5 YPC average and tacked on 14 TDs.  Just a bunch of solid o-linemen doing work.  Losing Yanda hurts for sure, but they still have good players.  I think LJ has some of that juice in the backfield to buy time to make stuff happen, but he also had really good deep ball touch a year ago.  Especially on PA.  

Solid defense all-around too.  I do wonder if the pass rush, and loss of a gamer like thomas on the back end will hurt them a bit there though.  Their total yardage numbers do have the benefit of the fewest plays executed against them because of the ToP advantage.   They also blitzed the most in the NFL, and were somewhere near the bottom of sacks/hurries.  

They have upgraded their pass rush. The Dline was a weakness last year for sure but they added Calais Campbell and Derek Wolfe in free agency. They also upgraded at linebacker in the draft.

I think Lamar can take a clear step back and the Ravens still win 11 or 12 games. They are stacked. 

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It was actually a pretty fair assessment. 

Agreed.  He portrays Josh Allen as a question mark, which he is, and holds open the possibility that he'll continue to improve.  While I am an optimist when it comes to Josh Allen, I still have to admit he's not a sure thing even now.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Get your pitch forks out BillsMafia!

If you uneducated people on here don’t know who Achilles is....he had big muscles with long, blonde and flowing hair.  No dude could take him in a fight.  Yet he was only hooking up with an average girl in the movie Troy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29772260/20-contenders-2020-nfl-season-20-big-weaknesses-ranking-achilles-heels#buf

Pretty accurate assessment IMO Plus of all the teams in the league he only ranked 6 others with a lesser weakness.  Considering the value a QB plays, to be only ranked 6th biggest question mark would imply he's not overly concerned.

So what would you consider to be their biggest weakness since you appear to not agree with the article. He gave the weakness of 20 contenders, needs to include something on the Bills, so what is it then if not QB?

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Bill is generally right.  If the Bills didn’t have an elite defense this team would have probably been 7-9 last year, at best.   Can the defense maintain that pace yet again?

Josh has to get better. 

The O has to get better, Josh is part of the equation.  So is Daboll....need to eliminate brain cramp calls in critical situations.  And, better receivers will help....but TE is still a problem as Knox is still dropping the ball say the reports out of camp.

A teams QB is the lynchpin of a teams success? that is some ground breaking new information right there... who would’ve guessed it could be so... yawn ? 

These guys are running out of ways to say the same stuff over and over. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

"The Bills were at their best last season when Allen was mostly staying out of the way".  This is patently false.  

Josh is already better than Lamar Jackson and had to overcome an overall lack of talent offensively, a stupid play caller and a head coach that is scared to let offense win games.  

Obviously adding Diggs is a massive improvement to a lack luster receiving core (including TE's and RB's) or at least a Daboll designed offense that doesn't include throwing to RB's.  

Daboll and McDermott need to get better.  Allen will get there if they do.  

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Get your pitch forks out BillsMafia!

If you uneducated people on here don’t know who Achilles is....he had big muscles with long, blonde and flowing hair.  No dude could take him in a fight.  Yet he was only hooking up with an average girl in the movie Troy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29772260/20-contenders-2020-nfl-season-20-big-weaknesses-ranking-achilles-heels#buf

I mean, I don't think his comment that "The Bills were at their best last season when Allen was mostly staying out of the way and focusing on protecting the football at the expense of taking shots downfield." is at all correct.  I don't think he watches a lot of Bills football.  Without Allen's timely passing at times, the Bills would have been out of a lot of games they won or were "in" to the very end.  And 9 rushing TDs and 500 rush yards isn't exactly "staying out of the way".

But can anyone really argue the point that "he's still not yet the sort of passer the Bills need to compete with the Ravens and Chiefs"

Or his summary "Allen has still started only 27 career games, so while this is a critical year, it's hardly out of the question that he'll continue to improve. If he takes a step forward as a passer and continues to be one of the league's most effective rushing quarterbacks, the Bills should be able to win the AFC East and host a playoff game for the first time since 1996. If he drags an excellent defense down, he could become the next Mitchell Trubisky."?

Just another ignorant opinion.  For example, he says, "The Bills were at their best last season when Allen was mostly staying out of the way and focusing on protecting the football at the expense of taking shots downfield."

Allen led the NFL in both game winning drives and fourth quarter comebacks, as a 2nd year quarterback, and in his first full year as a starter.

I am open to listening to criticism of Allen, but this, like so much of it is simply based on ignorance.  (Honestly, I really think some sports writers don't like his down to earth, humble approach to things.)

"Staying out of the way" and the facts, are not congruent at all.  Allen was the clear leader of this team, and his late game performance indicates he was not merely a game manager, or worse, an obstacle on an otherwise great team, but an integral part of their playoff season last year. 

Looking at the standard NFL passer rating measure, Josh was a strong performer in RZ, 4th quarter, 3rd and 10+ and road games.  The numbers are 94.2, 109.7, 108.2 and 92.6, respectively.

This totally ignores what he adds as a runner, which we know is elite.  I think it's odd to say that he wasn't helping them win.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, I don't think his comment that "The Bills were at their best last season when Allen was mostly staying out of the way and focusing on protecting the football at the expense of taking shots downfield." is at all correct.  I don't think he watches a lot of Bills football.  Without Allen's timely passing at times, the Bills would have been out of a lot of games they won or were "in" to the very end.  And 9 rushing TDs and 500 rush yards isn't exactly "staying out of the way".

But can anyone really argue the point that "he's still not yet the sort of passer the Bills need to compete with the Ravens and Chiefs"

Or his summary "Allen has still started only 27 career games, so while this is a critical year, it's hardly out of the question that he'll continue to improve. If he takes a step forward as a passer and continues to be one of the league's most effective rushing quarterbacks, the Bills should be able to win the AFC East and host a playoff game for the first time since 1996. If he drags an excellent defense down, he could become the next Mitchell Trubisky."?

Well yes, as we played the Ravens last year and the game came down to the last play. I'd call that competitive.