Why is Marcel Dareus still a free agent?

Brennan Huff

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? Dude was a first team all pro in 2014 and I don’t think the Bills ever had as good a season from a DT than they did from Dareus in 2014.... 

First team all pro? I don't think he was that good. It was clarified for me that he did in fact make 2 pro bowls but I'm pretty sure that he was an alternate for one of them. Bottom line, outside of Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert Dareus was the last one to make a pro bowl "on his own" and not as an alternate compared to everyone else who had already made one by themselves through their first 2 years in the league

Dareus and Albert Haynesworth are two case studies into guys who worked hard to get PAID, then just put it on cruise til they got drummed out of the league laughing all the way to the local Chick-fil-A... and bank too I supposed.

He could've been an amazing player, but the "give a *****" gene just isn't there, and now the entire league has seen it.  Why bother bringing in a guy who you know won't try hard and will be a bad influence on those around him?  That's why he isn't signed. 

In hindsight 2011 was a weak draft. The QBs after Cam? Woof! We could have had AJ Green or Julio Jones but with no franchise QB throwing to them, would they have had an impact? The jewel of the first round was JJ Watt at 11. But overall it was an underwhelming draft.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

Edited by PromoTheRobot

22 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

First team all pro? I don't think he was that good. It was clarified for me that he did in fact make 2 pro bowls but I'm pretty sure that he was an alternate for one of them. Bottom line, outside of Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert Dareus was the last one to make a pro bowl "on his own" and not as an alternate compared to everyone else who had already made one by themselves through their first 2 years in the league

He was absolutely a first team All Pro in 2014

https://www.al.com/sports/2015/01/marcell_dareus_earns_spot_on_2.html

12 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

He’s lazy, he takes plays off, but he’s still very talented. He’s only 30. What’s the deal? I’d bring him in for a workout. Also I apologize if this has already been brought up recently..

I will re-post my response to the May discussion on net result of his trade.  I believe this sums up the league's general response to MD

image.jpeg.55c75c4106acddd9284b57b321311767.jpeg

image.jpeg.1e1a1983e67cee8bd60b2468adf16ed7.jpeg

image.jpeg.de7f69867ec33ad233303db3a2c98b92.jpeg

image.jpeg.d105c872614cd6445a16db4a6b715118.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

Dareus and Albert Haynesworth are two case studies into guys who worked hard to get PAID, then just put it on cruise til they got drummed out of the league laughing all the way to the local Chick-fil-A... and bank too I supposed.

He could've been an amazing player, but the "give a *****" gene just isn't there, and now the entire league has seen it.  Why bother bringing in a guy who you know won't try hard and will be a bad influence on those around him?  That's why he isn't signed. 

So I need to stand up for Haynesworth here. The excerpt below was taken from his "Letter to My Younger Self" located here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self

The whole article is worth reading but the most pertinent part below

"You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

And he’s going to say, with a straight face, “Albert, if you have more than one sack this season, I’m going to be pissed.”

The last thing you’ll say before walking out of the office is, “Can’t you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?”

You will lose your passion for football in Washington, and it will be impossible to get back. In retirement, you will discover that your financial advisor has squandered most of the money you made with the Redskins, and he will be under investigation for financial fraud. Thankfully, you will have discovered a passion for restoring houses and buying property during your offseasons. You’ll even open up a BurgerFi restaurant in Knoxville (I know you love burgers). Instead of being on the beach in the Bahamas, like most people probably think you are, you will be hanging drywall in a condo in South Carolina. And you know what? That will make you extremely happy."

More recently he has been waiting for a kidney transplant. As of January he had a friend who had passed 3 rounds of donor matching criteria. Haven't been able to find anything more recent, and don't know what Covid has done to the timeline for the transplant. But he certainly hasn't been laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by Steve O

14 minutes ago, Steve O said:

So I need to stand up for Haynesworth here. The excerpt below was taken from his "Letter to My Younger Self" located here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self

The whole article is worth reading but the most pertinent part below

"You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

And he’s going to say, with a straight face, “Albert, if you have more than one sack this season, I’m going to be pissed.”

The last thing you’ll say before walking out of the office is, “Can’t you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?”

You will lose your passion for football in Washington, and it will be impossible to get back. In retirement, you will discover that your financial advisor has squandered most of the money you made with the Redskins, and he will be under investigation for financial fraud. Thankfully, you will have discovered a passion for restoring houses and buying property during your offseasons. You’ll even open up a BurgerFi restaurant in Knoxville (I know you love burgers). Instead of being on the beach in the Bahamas, like most people probably think you are, you will be hanging drywall in a condo in South Carolina. And you know what? That will make you extremely happy."

More recently he has been waiting for a kidney transplant. As of January he had a friend who had passed 3 rounds of donor matching criteria. Haven't been able to find anything more recent, and don't know what Covid has done to the timeline for the transplant. But he certainly hasn't been laughing all the way to the bank.

So the defense of him is that after the fact he realized he should've tried more and been smarter with his money? Sounds like the regrets of 90% of retired professional athletes.

Also Washington wasn't his last stop, he went to New England and still didn't get back that "passion" for the game.  

23 minutes ago, MR8 said:

So the defense of him is that after the fact he realized he should've tried more and been smarter with his money? Sounds like the regrets of 90% of retired professional athletes.

Also Washington wasn't his last stop, he went to New England and still didn't get back that "passion" for the game.  

Guessing you didn't read the entire article. He was aware of how many pro athletes ended up broke and did realize he should be smart with his money, just trusted the wrong guy. My defense is that he hasn't been laughing all the way to Chick Fil A or the bank (your words, his were hanging on a beach in the bahamas.) And that had he been handled differently in Washington he could have continued to dominate. Also, at the time of the article he didn't have regrets, he was happy hanging drywall. 

Became a fat cat after signing his inflated contract.  He turned out exactly as predicted.  Fat and lazy.  Maybe he can go back to drag racing down Milestrip Rd.  Once a tool, always a tool.

Are his supporters still claiming that all his failings are to be blamed on a troubled childhood?