House framing issue? Need opinions.

Process

Figured i'd give it a shot and see if anyone hear has any ideas on what could be going on with my house. I don't really know anything about home construction.

Bought my house a few years ago. Built in 1979. 

To get to he point... the house is NOISY. I would say close to 100% of the time there is a crunching, or crackling sound, in the walls. It's not super loud, but it is constant. I've never heard a house do this before, and it doesn't shut off. I mostly notice it in one of the side exterior walls. It's extremely strange. 

Then every once in a while I will hear small pops which sound much more like normal settling noises and shifting, but it happens way more frequently then I would expect. 

Then maybe a handful of times a day, there will be a LOUD snapping noise. And I mean LOUD, it would startle you if you went used to it. Sometimes it will be just one snap, sometimes a few will fire off one after another. These are more of a metallic bang then a popping noise.

I've basically been ignoring the noises since i've bought the house, mainly because I have no idea what's causing them and am just hoping it's not due to a major issue and more just an annoyance. But im starting to get concerned it could be a an issue with the framing or foundation? Anyone have any ideas on what to look for/what I should get checked out? I don't want to call a general contractor and have them come and not hear anything or tell me it's normal house noises when it's clearly not. 

Edited by Process

I have that too once in awhile but not like you are describing. Too many variables to take a guess with what you have given.

Wood frame or Concrete Block?

What State is the home in? 

Have you been in the attic?

Is the house built on a hillside?

This kind of stuff is pretty much needed to even attempt to form an opinion. I was a union carpenter for a good bit so I could take a stab at it if you provide more info like I mentioned above.

I’ve been around a lot of new construction and been in literally thousands of houses. I’ve never heard of anything like this. I’d ask around for advice on a GOOD contractor (not just A contractor) and get them out. Even if they don’t hear anything, they may have some ideas. It may be something that is easier and cheaper to repair if you get to it sooner than later. Get the right guy and they may even be able to give you a good idea over the phone. 

Is it wood frame construction? What type of exterior siding do you have? Is it in a few “usual spots” or totally random? Is it roughly the same regardless of season/weather? What kind of foundation? Slab? Basement? Crawl space? A contractor might not need to hear it, but can still check certain foundations for structural stability.  You may need to pull some drywall to get a look inside a particularly noisy spot and a structural engineer. 

We have some plumbing lines that are noisy, but we know what it is, it’s not a threat and we’ve just learned to live with it. The last project we did the contractor said “yeah, your water pressure is too high, easy to improve”. Who knew???  Multiple contractors have told me over the last decade a 2’x 2’ chase in a half bath was a conduit for plumbing, electrical or HVAC. I kept questioning that. We went to open houses of two houses with a similar floorplan in the neighborhood, and they didn’t have it. I made the last guy go into the adjoining pantry (no point ruining wallpaper in the bath) and cut a hole to look inside the chase. “Well, what do you know? It’s empty!” We tore it out and renovated the half bath adding 4 SF, which might not sound like much, but it was almost a 20% increase in space. (Sorry fir the long aside, but we just finished the project and still quite pleased we got that fixed!) 

I wish I had an answer for you, but I’d start asking for a GOOD contractor. 

EDIT: another possibility? 

https://www.hunker.com/12610474/what-do-cracking-noises-mean-in-your-house

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I wonder if it's aluminum wiring that's threatening to burn everything down..........your issue doesn't sound like settling.

Well, THERE’S a scary thought!  The “popping” does seem to possibly suggest electrical. 

I’m the procrastinator type, but I’d want to get to the bottom of this. 

Edited by Augie

29 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I wonder if it's aluminum wiring that's threatening to burn everything down..........your issue doesn't sound like settling.

i was thinking electrical too, I don't know of many framing issues that would make a 'popping' sound

Framing noises you would hear if you are walking or moving things around, if everything was still, you shouldn't have much noises.

Maybe its possible that you have an animal in the wall?

51 minutes ago, T&C said:

I have that too once in awhile but not like you are describing. Too many variables to take a guess with what you have given.

Wood frame or Concrete Block?

What State is the home in?

Have you been in the attic? 

Is the house built on a hillside?

This kind of stuff is pretty much needed to even attempt to form an opinion. I was a union carpenter for a good bit so I could take a stab at it if you provide more info like I mentioned above.

Wood frame

Buffalo NY

Yes, everything seems fine?

No

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve been around a lot of new construction and been in literally thousands of houses. I’ve never heard of anything like this. I’d ask around for advice on a GOOD contractor (not just A contractor) and get them out. Even if they don’t hear anything, they may have some ideas. It may be something that is easier and cheaper to repair if you get to it sooner than later. Get the right guy and they may even be able to give you a good idea over the phone. 

Is it wood frame construction? What type of exterior siding do you have? Is it in a few “usual spots” or totally random? Is it roughly the same regardless of season/weather? What kind of foundation? Slab? Basement? Crawl space? A contractor might not need to hear it, but can still check certain foundations for structural stability.  You may need to pull some drywall to get a look inside a particularly noisy spot and a structural engineer. 

We have some plumbing lines that are noisy, but we know what it is, it’s not a threat and we’ve just learned to live with it. The last project we did the contractor said “yeah, your water pressure is too high, easy to improve”. Who knew???  Multiple contractors have told me over the last decade a 2’x 2’ chase in a half bath was a conduit for plumbing, electrical or HVAC. I kept questioning that. We went to open houses of two houses with a similar floorplan in the neighborhood, and they didn’t have it. I made the last guy go into the adjoining pantry (no point ruining wallpaper in the bath) and cut a hole to look inside the chase. “Well, what do you know? It’s empty!” We tore it out and renovated the half bath adding 4 SF, which might not sound like much, but it was almost a 20% increase in space. (Sorry fir the long aside, but we just finished the project and still quite pleased we got that fixed!) 

I wish I had an answer for you, but I’d start asking for a GOOD contractor. 

Yes wood frame construction. Aluminum siding ( I was thinking the aluminum siding could be a source of noise but I cant imagine it would make such loud snapping noises, and the sounds seems more interior). Crackling/crunching noise is in one exterior wall, popping/snapping noises can be heard through house, but loudest in downstairs living room. Basement with poured concrete foundation. 

Really appreciate the responses so far guys. It does seem like I do need to get a contractor in here ASAP. And I am glad electric came up because that was my next guess, though I can't pinpoint to anything specific. When I bought the house the seller had to replace the main electric cable coming into the house which was sliced as part of the sale, then I did have some electric work done on the inside as part of remodeling. 

Any cracks in your plaster/paint? Mark them with a pencil to look for change. Probably would help to try and get some commonalities when you hear the sound most. Morning, night, after rain or sunshine; hot/cold water running etc.. You should be able to tell where electrical and water lines are roughly by going in the basement. Would probably be tough to smell ozone from an electrical arc through the wall. Anything that can help someone find a source. 

You've done some remodeling, maybe something with that work is causing an issue. As far as the siding, is that newer? Maybe the nails have the siding too tight to the house and when the temp changes there is some noise due to expansion/contraction. Did the old owner do their own work? Have you been finding things that just aren't done correctly in general?

The main electrical wire needing replaced (assuming outside the house) seems like a pretty big deal, it's pretty tough to damage one and get away without having some type of shock.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m curious what area you’re in and what kind of soil your foundation is laid on. With a 1979 home, simple settling is likely not the cause.

Here are a couple things to try: 

1) look at the interior ceiling drywall. Do you see any cracking? Where is the cracking? 

2) Are there any visible cracks in the home’s foundation? Where are they? Are they relative to the interior ceiling cracking? 

3) Do you have any doors/windows that are tough to close or won’t open at all?

4) Go outside to your siding, reach up underneath the bottom piece. Slide your hand along the bottom trim against the framing. Do you feel any gaps? 

these could be indications of vertical sinking. Hopefully it is not the serious, but worth exploring. I’d call in a structural engineer to assess the situation ASAP. 

Best of luck

1 hour ago, Process said:

Wood frame

Buffalo NY

Yes, everything seems fine?

No

Yes wood frame construction. Aluminum siding ( I was thinking the aluminum siding could be a source of noise but I cant imagine it would make such loud snapping noises, and the sounds seems more interior). Crackling/crunching noise is in one exterior wall, popping/snapping noises can be heard through house, but loudest in downstairs living room. Basement with poured concrete foundation. 

Really appreciate the responses so far guys. It does seem like I do need to get a contractor in here ASAP. And I am glad electric came up because that was my next guess, though I can't pinpoint to anything specific. When I bought the house the seller had to replace the main electric cable coming into the house which was sliced as part of the sale, then I did have some electric work done on the inside as part of remodeling. 

The main poles running to the house, if properly replaced, are likely not causing this, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

Aluminum siding ( I was thinking the aluminum siding could be a source of noise but I cant imagine it would make such loud snapping noises, and the sounds seems more interior).

Is that on the south wall?

Could it be the siding expanding or contracting when the sun hits it or when it is cooling off?

My thoughts:

I second the siding noise theory.  You sure it's aluminum siding?  Vinyl siding that's been attached too tight will make a lot of noise with temperature differences.

A new theory to add to the discussion:  Since your house was built in late 70s, pre-heavy use of polyiso rigid foam board insulation, most houses were not insulated at all.  Did you or the previous home owner drill and fill the walls with insulation?  If so, what could be occurring is some crazy air pressure fluctuations in the house.  When a house is sealed up like that, you can go overboard with the insulation and what you're hearing is the drywall flexing up and down on the nails it's attached to because the walls are a little weak to handle the pressure.  They weren't built with it in mind.  Does it happen to lessen in the winter?  

The only way you really know if you've got that is to buy a relatively cheap endoscope camera (from Amazon) that uses WIFI to your phone.  Drill a small hole in a loud wall and take a peak and see what's inside.  

• Like (+1) 1