Final Vote—All States, Progress in counting

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

It's a good poll. This isn't 2016. 

Sure, favorability measurement is a great poll.

I view Biden favorably -- like my old grampa.  Doesn't mean I want to vote for old gramps because I don't think old gramps is really cut out for the job.  

Just now, snafu said:

Sure, favorability measurement is a great poll.

I view Biden favorably -- like my old grampa.  Doesn't mean I want to vote for old gramps because I don't think old gramps is really cut out for the job.  

Voters think he is. 

And no Jill Stein this time, that helps even more

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This is a really good point.  “The polls” were late to the Trump undercurrent in 2016.  I think they might have the opposite problem this time through.  I suspect that the universe of likely voters is too small in a lot of these polls (because we’re going to have heretofore unseen turnout), and the “unexpected voters” will break heavily for Biden. 

There really wasn't an "undercurrent." For all the grief they've taken, Nate Silver's 538 blend of polls came awfully close to spot-on for the national popular vote: Clinton ahead by 3.6 percentage points.  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/  The actual result: Clinton won the popular vote by 2.1 percentage points. That's damn good forecasting. Obviously the state-by-state results were different, but you're dealing with smaller sample sizes and more variability there, so it's always a wild card.

So where we stand today is almost precisely where we were on election eve in 2016: Biden (as with Clinton) has about a 70% chance of winning, Trump 30%. That's not overwhelming odds in Biden's favor; 538 says he's "slightly favored." Could Trump pull off that inside straight again? Absolutely. Is it likely? No. Too many ways for it to go wrong.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There really wasn't an "undercurrent." For all the grief they've taken, Nate Silver's 538 blend of polls came awfully close to spot-on for the national popular vote: Clinton ahead by 3.6 percentage points.  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/  The actual result: Clinton won the popular vote by 2.1 percentage points. That's damn good forecasting. Obviously the state-by-state results were different, but you're dealing with smaller sample sizes and more variability there, so it's always a wild card.

So where we stand today is almost precisely where we were on election eve in 2016: Biden (as with Clinton) has about a 70% chance of winning, Trump 30%. That's not overwhelming odds in Biden's favor; 538 says he's "slightly favored." Could Trump pull off that inside straight again? Absolutely. Is it likely? No. Too many ways for it to go wrong.

I agree except for the undercurrent.  I worked the streets in 2016.  I had a bad vibe in September.  I sensed the persuadables were going to break for Trump.  Close the book on the Clintons, I thought, was a great line at the end. 

but otherwise, completely agree.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

POLITICS

Polling Firm Rasmussen Warns About “National Poll Suppression”

From August 1-15 there were 16 polls that came out. From August 16-31 there have been only 8 and none covering a later date than the 25th.

If you fully believe in polls like the dimwitted op.

Oh, you think it’s a conspiracy to hurt Trump with ? fake polls? 

34 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

From August 1-15 there were 16 polls that came out. From August 16-31 there have been only 8 and none covering a later date than the 25th.

NO polls in the last SEVEN days ?

Yeah, thats not a giveaway.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

POLITICS

Polling Firm Rasmussen Warns About “National Poll Suppression”

Ummm, RCP is showing 4 GE polls on August 26 including Rasmussen w/ Biden +1.  It also shows a GE poll yesterday w/ the typical Biden lead & an Emerson GE poll w/ Biden +2.

Not sure why your info is showing nothing since 8/25.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, you think it’s a conspiracy to hurt Trump with ? fake polls? 

Do you know of a better way to make people think a certain candidate is going to lose, so that people decide not to bother voting because it won't make a difference?

• Thank you (+1) 1

General Election: Trump vs. Biden USA Today/Suffolk Biden 50, Trump 43 Biden +7
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Grinnell/Selzer Biden 49, Trump 41 Biden +8
President Trump Job Approval Grinnell/Selzer Approve 43, Disapprove 51 Disapprove +8
President Trump Job Approval Politico/Morning Consult Approve 42, Disapprove 57 Disapprove +15
2020 Generic Congressional Vote Grinnell/Selzer Democrats 48, Republicans 41 Democrats +7
Direction of Country Politico/Morning Consult Right Direction 28, Wrong Track 72 Wrong Track +44
Tuesday, September 1
Race/Topic   (Click to Sort) Poll Results Spread
Georgia: Trump vs. Biden WSB-TV/Landmark* Trump 48, Biden 41 Trump +7
North Carolina: Trump vs. Biden East Carolina U. Trump 49, Biden 47 Trump +2
North Carolina Senate - Tillis vs. Cunningham East Carolina U. Cunningham 44, Tillis 44 Tie
9 hours ago, Brueggs said:

Do you know of a better way to make people think a certain candidate is going to lose, so that people decide not to bother voting because it won't make a difference?

Do you know a way to get all the pollsters to cheat like that? 

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Answering questions with questions.  Typical.

Its not necessarily the pollsters cheating.  I wonder what would happen if those conducting the polls chose a certain demographic to administer their questions to?  I wonder if they could target specific groups that would be more likely to have similar opinions?  Wow, I can't believe no one ever thought of that before.  

Political conventions and violent protests have not done much to change the race between President Donald Trump and  Democratic nominee Joe Biden in 11 crucial battleground states, according to Morning Consult polls released Tuesday. 

The polls found the race little changed in Colorado, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio and Texas, while Biden gained ground in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan and Wisconsin. Trump gained 2 percentage points on Biden in Pennsylvania and 3 points in Florida, though the president still trailed in both of those states. 

Nationally,Biden was found to be leading Trump by eight points, 51%-43%, exactly what Morning Consult found earlier this month. Biden's 8-point put him in a better than Hillary Clinton, who had a 3-point advantage in the poll after the 2016 conventions. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/01/biden-gains-trump-wisconsin-leads-other-key-states-poll/3455027001/

10 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

Its not necessarily the pollsters cheating.  I wonder what would happen if those conducting the polls chose a certain demographic to administer their questions to?  I wonder if they could target specific groups that would be more likely to have similar opinions?  Wow, I can't believe no one ever thought of that before.  

Maybe they are master bating while conducting the poll. I can’t believe people are not thinking that. 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Do you know a way to get all the pollsters to cheat like that? 

Yes, hire Democrats.

3 hours ago, Brueggs said:

You need to read up on this. fivethirtyeight does a nice analysis of what they call the "house effect" of various pollsters. Some consistently trend in favor of Dems; some Repubs. Why don't they fix this since it is obviously a sampling issue? I don't know. I suppose there's an audience for their polls - call it confirmation bias.

At any rate, these house effects can be controlled for, and that's what the good aggregators (like fivethirtyeight) do. 

General comment: I'm actually amazed at how good national polls (not state wide -- those have a lot more variability, and of course that matters given the electoral college!) are when you control for these effects. I steadfastly refuse to answer calls from unknown people, and most people I know do the same. So you've got to be getting a biased sample from any poll, right? You'd think so, but then there's no way the RCP and 538 projections could be this good. I have to just say I don't understand it, but the proof is in the results. Every 4 years the side that's losing in the polls claims there's something wrong or even a conspiracy to push out faked numbers. McCain's supporters (I believe it was then) actually started a site they called "unskewed polls." They added a few points to McCain based on perceived oversampling of Dems vs. Reps.

It was trash, and turned out to be wrong, whereas the mainstream polls were right.

EDIT: it was Romney 2012, not McCain. And the unskewed guy fessed up that he got it all wrong:

https://www.businessinsider.com/unskewed-pollster-dean-chambers-nate-silver-election-dick-morris-michael-barone-2012-11

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Oops. Another conspiracy theory shot to ... smithereens.

Added today

DATES POLLSTER SAMPLE RESULT NET RESULT
President: general election  

AUG 31-SEP 1, 2020
1,089 RV Biden
47%
40%
Trump Biden +7

AUG 30-SEP 1, 2020
1,207 RV Biden
51%
40%
Trump Biden +11

AUG 29-SEP 1, 2020
1,033 RV Biden
49%
41%
Trump Biden +8

AUG 26-SEP 1, 2020
2,650 LV Biden
51%
42%
Trump Biden +9

AUG 26-SEP 1, 2020
2,650 LV Biden
52%
42%
Trump Biden +9

AUG 26-SEP 1, 2020
2,500 LV Biden
49%
45%
Trump Biden +4

AUG 28-31, 2020
1,000 RV Biden
47%
More Biden +5

AUG 28-31, 2020
1,000 RV Biden
50%
43%
Trump Biden +7

AUG 26-30, 2020
827 LV Biden
49%
41%
Trump Biden +8

AUG 21-25, 2020
    Biden
56%
41%
Trump Biden +15

KEY

A = ADULTS

RV = REGISTERED VOTERS

V = VOTERS

LV = LIKELY VOTERS

Yesterday

AUG 31-SEP 1, 2020
1,835 LV Biden
49%
More Biden +8

AUG 25-31, 2020
2,636 LV Biden
52%
42%
Trump Biden +10

AUG 25-31, 2020
2,636 LV Biden
51%
42%
Trump Biden +10

AUG 30, 2020
4,000 LV Biden
52%
43%
Trump Biden +9

AUG 28-30, 2020
12,966 LV Biden
51%
43%
Trump Biden +8

AUG 28-30, 2020
861 LV Biden
49%
More Biden +7

AUG 24-30, 2020
4,210 LV Biden
49%
46%
Trump Biden +3

AUG 29, 2020
4,000 LV Biden
51%
43%
Trump Biden +8

Aug. 31, 2020

AUG 30-31, 2020
1,567 LV Biden
51%
49%
Trump Biden +3

AUG 24-30, 2020
2,574 LV Biden
54%
40%
Trump Biden +13

AUG 24-30, 2020
2,575 LV Biden
53%
41%
Trump Biden +12

AUG 27-29, 2020
915 LV Biden
48%
More Biden +4

AUG 25-28, 2020
2,862 RV Biden
47%
38%
Trump Biden +9

Aug. 30, 2020

AUG 29, 2020
1,007 LV Biden
45%
More Biden +3

AUG 29, 2020
1,007 LV Biden
48%
42%
Trump Biden +6

AUG 23-29, 2020
2,555 LV Biden
54%
40%
Trump Biden +15

AUG 23-29, 2020
2,556 LV Biden
54%
40%
Trump Biden +14

Aug. 29, 2020

• Like (+1) 1

Slew of new polls! 

Wednesday, September 2
Race/Topic   (Click to Sort) Poll Results Spread
General Election: Trump vs. Biden USA Today/Suffolk Biden 50, Trump 43 Biden +7
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Grinnell/Selzer Biden 49, Trump 41 Biden +8
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Rasmussen Reports Biden 49, Trump 45 Biden +4
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Economist/YouGov Biden 51, Trump 40 Biden +11
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 52, Trump 42 Biden +10
General Election: Trump vs. Biden IBD/TIPP Biden 49, Trump 41 Biden +8
Pennsylvania: Trump vs. Biden Monmouth* Biden 49, Trump 46 Biden +3
President Trump Job Approval Quinnipiac Approve 43, Disapprove 54 Disapprove +11
President Trump Job Approval IBD/TIPP Approve 39, Disapprove 55 Disapprove +16
President Trump Job Approval Grinnell/Selzer Approve 43, Disapprove 51 Disapprove +8
President Trump Job Approval USA Today/Suffolk Approve 45, Disapprove 52 Disapprove +7
President Trump Job Approval Politico/Morning Consult Approve 42, Disapprove 57 Disapprove +15
President Trump Job Approval Rasmussen Reports Approve 49, Disapprove 50 Disapprove +1
President Trump Job Approval Economist/YouGov Approve 43, Disapprove 55 Disapprove +12
2020 Generic Congressional Vote Economist/YouGov Democrats 51, Republicans 38 Democrats +13
2020 Generic Congressional Vote Grinnell/Selzer Democrats 48, Republicans 41 Democrats +7
2020 Generic Congressional Vote USA Today/Suffolk Democrats 48, Republicans 42 Democrats +6
Direction of Country USA Today/Suffolk Right Direction 30, Wrong Track 62 Wrong Track +32
Direction of Country Politico/Morning Consult Right Direction 28, Wrong Track 72 Wrong Track +44
Direction of Country Economist/YouGov Right Direction 25, Wrong Track 67 Wrong Track +42
Congressional Job Approval Economist/YouGov Approve 15, Disapprove 59 Disapprove +44

16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

In what way is it harder to push out fake numbers than real numbers? 

I feel like I could manufacture a fake poll of, say, 1,000 individuals in literally one day. I'd just take the data from an old poll and tweak it a little bit to fit my "narrative" if I wanted to show, say, Biden leading by 11 points. Or 15. It's nothing. Doing real polling takes time. 

In other words, this is an utterly asinine comment by someone calling him/herself "The Last Refuge."

• Like (+1) 1