Andre Smith traded to Bills for conditional 7th

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yep, but it could be to replace Taiwan Jones when let him go after Beane signs Fournette.

jk but you never know.

If it were to happen (and it won't) - Taiwan Jones would be safe. T.J. Yeldon would be the odd man out. Jones was specifically brought in for his Special Teams by his old Special Teams coach. You wouldn't cut a core Special Teamers for a 4th RB that doesn't play ST.

Fact is, as we've had the past couple seasons, we'll have 3 Tailbacks active on game day. Zack Moss takes the place of Frank Gore and Taiwan Jones takes the place of Senorise Perry. We really don't have the room to add a guy like Fournette. We'd be not dressing one of either Singletary, Moss, or Fournette every week.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I see people saying he’ll take Taiwan Jones’ spot, but I highly doubt that. Jones is a gunner. Smith is not.

More likely, it means the possible end for Vosesn Joseph. Corey Thompson and Tyrel Dodson seem locked in as the top two backup LBs on defense. They likely figure that if they keep a sixth LB, he needs to be a special teams asset, and a Joseph is not. Maybe Joseph makes the practice squad.

Thanks for the insight.  Good stuff. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Something that was wrote about him after the draft.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article210164014.html

As per the article, he's 6' and 237 lbs.  He ran a 4.63 40 at the combine despite popping his hamstring in the middle of it.  Despite that Lance Zierlein of NFL.com called him slow

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If it were to happen (and it won't) - Taiwan Jones would be safe. T.J. Yeldon would be the odd man out. Jones was specifically brought in for his Special Teams by his old Special Teams coach. You wouldn't cut a core Special Teamers for a 4th RB that doesn't play ST.

Fact is, as we've had the past couple seasons, we'll have 3 Tailbacks active on game day. Zack Moss takes the place of Frank Gore and Taiwan Jones takes the place of Senorise Perry. We really don't have the room to add a guy like Fournette. We'd be not dressing one of either Singletary, Moss, or Fournette every week.

First I was jk (just kidding) BUT if you think Jones is a lock with all the other people brought in for STs so far I think you are mistaken.

Right now (like I've said today in a post) and the rest of the week the coaches and Beane will be going over all kinds of combinations as to who makes the team.

30 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Agree 100%, you make an important point. One of the biggest things we need to get used to is that this current Bills roster is as talented and as deep as it's been since the 1999-2000 playoff team (we won't discuss the abomination of what ended that postseason run) and Beane is going to have to make some extremely tough decisions on cut-down day. Plans for a potentially reduced cap in 2021 as well as upcoming contract negotiations for Milano/White will have to be considered. The players we release will get picked up by other teams (remember when it was the other way around?), but this is a good problem to have.

In making those final roster decisions, guys who have replaceable skill sets found elsewhere on the roster and/or do not have any special teams ability should be in trouble IMO. The key candidates are TJ Yeldon, Duke Williams, Pat Dimarco, and probably Vosean Joseph with the Andre Smith trade. All four guys offer either zero special teams experience or poor ST performance in Dimarco's case and could/should be replaced by Taiwan Jones, Isaiah Hodgins, Reggie Gilliam, and Andre Smith/Corey Thompson respectively who represent cheaper/younger/more versatile options. Beane has actually done a great job of acquiring versatile players who can contribute on ST and at multiple offensive or defensive positions (the offensive and defensive lines in particular are filled with guys who can play at 2+ spots). 

Get used to it, fellow Bills fans. This roster is more talented than it has been in two decades and *knock on wood* that the season plays out and Allen stays healthy, we'll have an AFC East title, a home playoff win, and we won't remember the guys who got cut this coming weekend. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Linebacker depth is a real issue.  Weakest position on the team.  (Note: it’s nice that offensive line is no longer that.)

Don't you mean the backup quarterback? I swear I read that somewhere... ?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Linebacker depth is a real issue.  Weakest position on the team.  (Note: it’s nice that offensive line is no longer that.)

Completely agree. Edmunds, and Milano are top tier starters. I suspect that AJ Klein is going to be a disappointment. And after him... we are thin, indeed. We can hope that Joseph, or Dodson steps up and comes into their own, and after that, Thompson, and Phillips are, perhaps solid depth, but are any of them starting caliber? It's a big concern.

That being said, I know very little about Smith, but another Carolina cast-off does not fill me with confidence.