Gilliam now listed at TE on roster

BillsMafi$

Reggie Gilliam listed as aTE is not a surprise at all.  I felt like he is the Dawson Knox of the 2020 Draft - someone who was so underutilized in the passing game at Toledo.

Bonus - the guy can play ST.

Given his positional versatility - FB / TE / ST, he is my dark horse candidate to make the 53 at some time during the season.

Edit: Dark Horse #2, Dark Horse #1 is Tanzel Smart.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK - Gilliam is an upgrade over both Lee Smith at TE and DiMarco at FB. If he takes the spot of either one of them (maybe both), what is not to like?

You best get used to the fact that DiMarco, or Smith, or both of them will be on the roster.

McDermott loves his special teams players and his locker room leaders.

I guarantee that either one or both of these guys will be team captains.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

They've been talking about Gilliam more as an H-back lately.   

That's what DiMarco was originally touted to be when he came from Atlanta (although I never saw that receiving element in his game)...

Exactly how I see it too.  If he makes the team I don't see DiMarco making the cut no matter what the position call out is.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And bam.....Kroft has a foot injury....hmmmmm

Cut him. 

22 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Reggie Gilliam listed as aTE is not a surprise at all.  I felt like he is the Dawson Knox of the 2020 Draft - someone who was so underutilized in the passing game at Toledo.

Bonus - the guy can play ST.

Given his positional versatility - FB / TE / ST, he is my dark horse candidate to make the 53 at some time during the season.

Edit: Dark Horse #2, Dark Horse #1 is Tanzel Smart.

I was thinking Smart could also make the team but didn’t know over whom?

59 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You best get used to the fact that DiMarco, or Smith, or both of them will be on the roster.

McDermott loves his special teams players and his locker room leaders.

I guarantee that either one or both of these guys will be team captains.

If that happens, there would be no doubt these guys have something on McD.

When friends blackmail you - Imgflip

33 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

If that happens, there would be no doubt these guys have something on McD.

When friends blackmail you - Imgflip

Wrong.

This is the culture that McDermott uses in his team building.

Yes, he can find better players than DiMarco & Smith, but he has them on the team for the intangibles. Leadership is important to McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Wrong.

Yes, he can find better players than DiMarco & Smith, but he has them on the team for the intangibles. Leadership is important to McDermott.

I am afraid you are wrong this time sir. What they bring is not worth the cost - 1.5 mill and 1.75 mill, respectively, in cap room and more importantly, in roster spots.

For just being a blocker, Lee Smith committed penalties at an alarming rate - that too false starts which are drive killers. Now if Kroft's injury is serious, I can see him getting a new lease on life as a Bill - but DiMarco has been out the past two weeks with a sore neck. Unclear how he makes it to the 53 ahead of Gilliam, who never misses games. Also Gilliam has done well in camp. 

The real culture McD is building is based on competition and performance. It is a myth that "intangibles" will outweigh performance. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

More like you are delusional or are obsessed with fantasy football GM game you play.

huh? Please tell me which fantasy player will be concerned with a Reggie Gilliam who I am advocating for. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Practice squad at best.   Not sure why he was a favorite to take over for DiMarco this year.  Kyle Juszczyk is a free agent next year, go get him or Alex Armah from the Panthers.   Armah is essentially the same player as DiMarco but five years younger.

Flexibility as a player. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Wrong.

And while people can always surprise you, it seems quite unlikely McD is the type of guy one could get "pictures" of in the first place.

I noticed that on the Bills site like a week and a half ago. I was going to make a thread on it but I figured it was semantics. They probably see him as an Hback, jack of all trades, STs guy. I’m not in the group of people that have been calling for Demarco to be cut from day 1. He seems to fit into that Murphy mode, where he’s being “cut every day” on here. I’m not sure why anyone that gets paid and doesn’t flash every second of the day gets that treatment. Demarco is solid. I hope this kid is too. Keep them both. Play him at TE, move him around...the more playmakers the better. Early on they raved about this kid on ST, so I’m sure they will find a spot for him.

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK - Gilliam is an upgrade over both Lee Smith at TE and DiMarco at FB. If he takes the spot of either one of them (maybe both), what is not to like?

What makes you think that?

• Like (+1) 2