Jags cut Fournette; clears waivers (update - signing with Tampa)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s gotta hurt (the Jags).  Fully guaranteed contract and no offset language so the Jags cut him, but still have to pay him his $4.1M salary AND he gets to double dip with a new contract with a team that isn’t the Jags.  Really couldn’t have worked out much better for Fournette. 

Edited by BarleyNY

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s gotta hurt (the Jags).  Fully guaranteed contract and no offset language so the Jags cut him, but still have to pay him his $4.1M salary AND he gets to double dip with a new contract with a team that isn’t the Jags.  Really couldn’t have worked out much better for Fournette. 

guess you could say he’s... “FourTUnette”

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Jags voided the contract.   Four-letter has filed a grievance to get the money.

That’s correct.  The Jags have little chance to win though.  Their claim is that his one game suspension from his fight with Shaq Lawson voided the guarantees in his contract.  That isn’t likely to fly.  Notably when Fournette won a previous grievance stemming from a fine by the Jags the NFL offices noted that over 25% of league grievances were filed against the Jags.  They don’t have a good track record there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

It does seem like a stretch to void a contract due to a one game suspension from two seasons ago. 

I guess the Jags feel their reputation among the players can't get any worse so why not give it a try.

It seems to me that JAX is playing with fire over this.

If Fournette signs a year incentive laden contract, performs well and keeps his nose clean it's going to make UFAs think twice about choosing JAX.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, Rc2catch said:

He’s a dead man walking. His final year as an NFL coach will be on a 2-14 team with almost zero talent on the roster. What destruction from a few years ago when they looked so dominant 

Breaking news....  Doug approaches the podium....   

...... “obviously”.....

/press conference 

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s correct.  The Jags have little chance to win though.  Their claim is that his one game suspension from his fight with Shaq Lawson voided the guarantees in his contract.  That isn’t likely to fly.  Notably when Fournette won a previous grievance stemming from a fine by the Jags the NFL offices noted that over 25% of league grievances were filed against the Jags.  They don’t have a good track record there. 

interesting.  Thanks for summarizing... I’m still a dunce when it comes to cap and contract stuff

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think Henry's peak years will last that long given his usage and running style (although they did platoon him his first two years in the league so he isn't that bad on wear and tear.) I think the Titans will likely get 2 more "elite" years out of him and another 1-2 "good" seasons. But at this moment if he keeps up his 2019 production he is such a dynamic back. As far as my top 5 RB's in no particular order McCaffery, Zeke, Saquon, Henry and Chubb. Not sure why you have Aaron Jones so high up, definitely a more second tier back in my opinion. 

Dude killed it in fantasy with 16TDs and 1500 yards from scrimmage? ?‍♂️. Kid makes plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems to me that JAX is playing with fire over this.

If Fournette signs a year incentive laden contract, performs well and keeps his nose clean it's going to make UFAs think twice about choosing JAX.

Yeah, because all those top UFA’s have been lining up to sign with the exemplary organization that is the Jacksonville Jaguars. This team is a complete disaster currently and not one former player defends them.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Money and low taxes 

I understand the opposite is true on the other side of the pond, eh mate?

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

JAX is an awful place to play. Between the HC and the ridiculous amount of player grievances there is no reason to sign there. 

Not much of a place to live either. Even Bluehairs who come to retire and die in Florida just pass right through.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Remember when he got ejected against the Bills for leaving the bench to fight with Shaq Lawson!?!?!!

Nothin’ gets past you!

• Haha (+1) 1