Jags cut Fournette; clears waivers (update - signing with Tampa)

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Jags will be so happy if fans are not allowed back. It seems like they have been preparing for Covid for 2 years now.

Thought I read the Jags will be allowing 16,000 fans into their stadium for games.

Thought it very unfair that they weren't required to reduce their game attendance at all.

• Haha (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

All depends on how many conditional draft picks they are offered.

???‍♀️?  Not funny!  Step away from the keyboard!

If I had to guess, I'd say he goes to San Fran or Tampa Bay.  Hopefully to the NFC.

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Thought I read the Jags will be allowing 16,000 fans into their stadium for games.

Thought it very unfair that they weren't required to reduce their game attendance at all.

They will be lucky to get 16,000 fans to come to a game. What a mess they are. No miracle for St Doug there.

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

They will be lucky to get 16,000 fans to come to a game. What a mess they are. No miracle for St Doug there.

When you keep dumping your best players, you're rebuilding.  Can't believe they didn't dump St Doug at the same time.  May be they figure they will be lousy this season regardless, so lets keep him one more year to save having to pay two coaches, him and his replacement.

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

When you keep dumping your best players, you're rebuilding.  Can't believe they didn't dump St Doug at the same time.  May be they figure they will be lousy this season regardless, so lets keep him one more year to save having to pay two coaches, him and his replacement.

From AFC Championship game two years ago to rebuilding is quite the miracle in itself.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Manther said:

I'm going to guess he clears waivers.  I think the $4 million cap hit is why the Jags couldn't trade him.  I think they would of even taken a 7th for him instead of releasing him.  Fournette is a capable RB and can help a team.  So, IMO the teams in the NFL don't want to the cap hit.  He will get through waivers and someone will sign him for $2 million or less.

I think it's probably less the cap hit and more the cap hit along with the draft assets being sent away.

I don't know what the market is for a running back with multiple 1000 yard seasons who played on bad teams (impacting his production), but $4 million seems reasonable for Fournette, especially on a one year deal.

If he clears waivers, I'm guessing he gets a multi year deal and the guaranteed money will be for more than a non guarented $4m waiver claim.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about, totally possible, but to me it's that a 5th or 6th round pick can very easily turn into a serviceable above replacement level rb that is under team control for 4 years. Him not being tradeable is less about spending the $4m this year, and more about keeping the asset for the future imo, and I would be surprised if he clears waivers.

I was surprised when I saw it but then I remembered who the coach was and I started wondering where he would land. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go to KC, Tampa or NE. Are the Jags trying to get Sunshine from Clemson?

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My guesses... Seattle, Vegas, Houston. 

Potential landing spots could be Miami, Chicago, Chargers, Detroit, and Washington.  It seems to me that Washington and the Chargers have the most need.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why would the Dolphins want him?  Have you seen their depth chart at RB?

He would be an immediate upgrade over Howard.  Breida is a third down guy and the rest are unproven.  Fournette could provide a real running threat to protect Tua when he finally gets out there.  I would hate seeing him go there.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Incredibly overrated player with a terrible attitude, should have been cut before this.   Any running back in the NFL should be able to get four yards a carry, and the receptions last year were 100% a result of having a young quarterback.   Fournette is Darren McFadden with a worse attitude.  

Funny enough that’s who I’ve always compared him to. He is a poor mans Darren McFadden

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

It will be the Jets, they are trying to find healthy RBs and their recent trade with Miami fell through. Throw in Gase and Bell having issues and the Jets being high on the waiver wire I think he ends up there 

Yeah but No one is going to trade for Bells current contract. Jets shot themselves in the foot by giving him that kind of deal. Because by adding Leonard that means you would have to trade bell. Leonard won’t be a back up 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Funny enough that’s who I’ve always compared him to. He is a poor mans Darren McFadden

As good as McFadden was he should have been the next Adrian Peterson.   He either had a ten cent brain or really didnt care about football that much.  Still had a long career but he should have been a world beater with all the talent he had. 

I get the same sense with Fournette, he stopped being Leonard Fournette the day he became a millionaire.

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think he is a decent RB but I like Singletary and Moss better...there is simply no carries for him here..

A lot of people here just assume that Zach Moss is going to be an instantly positive contributor. I'm not saying he won't be, but the kid is a 3rd round pick. If he's never any good in the NFL it would be far from a shock. The fact that Singletary has been as good as he has so far should be more of a surprise than it would have been had he been terrible.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

As good as McFadden was he should have been the next Adrian Peterson.   He either had a ten cent brain or really didnt care about football that much.  Still had a long career but he should have been a world beater with all the talent he had. 

I get the same sense with Fournette, he stopped being Leonard Fournette the day he became a millionaire.

That’s what happens when you pay these players these days, they stop caring and only want to collect a check

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

A lot of people here just assume that Zach Moss is going to be an instantly and positive contributor. I'm not saying he won't be, but the kid is a 3rd round pick. If he's never any good int he NFL is would be far from a shock. The fact that Singletary has been as good as he has so far should be more of a surprise than it would have been had he been terrible.

I think Moss will definitely be a positive contributor to Buffalo. He’s a very good complimentary back to Singletary.

• Like (+1) 1